Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone in the Sturgeon Tournament this Sunday?  (Read 8320 times)

Zpg

Anyone in the Sturgeon Tournament this Sunday?
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »

I stopped by Riverside and pick up  a couple of entries yesterday. I didn't realize that the tourney is capped at 50 so I'm glad I didn't wait until the last minute. I haven't been out in the past 2 weeks but I've heard the fishing is picking up again....hopefully the big boys will take a liking to my offerings.... I'm going out on Friday to test a new bait idea....something I used for hammerhead sharks in the Keys....stinky and yummy!

See y'all on the river and Good Luck!!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Anyone in the Sturgeon Tournament this Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »

Was going to but heading up to Merritt instead. River is too nasty for my liking. I am looking forward to the fall derby.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »

I was out last night from shore and the water was timid. I saw one big tree coming down, but other than that there wasn't much debris. It should work out well. The weather should be great too.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »

Me and three friends are in, so we'll see you guys out there.  Tight lines guys. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »

river has come up over night huge.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »

I see the fraser everyday when I go to work from the maryhill and it has definatly come up. Their is a little island in the river and that is what I use to judge the level. The Pitt has also come up since yesterday.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Zpg

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:47:01 AM »

According to the BC rivel level monitors the Fraser level hasn't changed all week?? http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/fullgraph.asp
I'll be heading out tomorrow and will post a report when I get home for anyone who is interested.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »

are u joking? its come up a meter in hope. an astonishing 3m in hansard. average is about a meter increase throughout bc though
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »

are u joking? its come up a meter in hope. an astonishing 3m in hansard. average is about a meter increase throughout bc though
So the river meter gage is lying then?  Where are you getting your info? ::)

Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Zpg

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »

I know the tides have been high this past week and as I live right on the river I definately have noticed what seems like higher levels but I'm not sure why the river level sites don't show much change from Mission to Steveston. I did see the big spike in levels at Hansard...wonder why there and not here. Guess I'll have a better idea tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:20:47 PM by Zpg »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »

So the river meter gage is lying then?  Where are you getting your info? ::)

look up hope on the same link zpg posted, hope is up nearly a meter, hansard is up 9 feet, prince george came up over 6ft all that water is coming down river with a ton of debris, i dont know what you guys are looking at but the river has`come up

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:38:04 PM »

Prince George is under flood watch global news at six tomorrow. That water will take almost a week to get here. the water from hope will be here in not too long. Trust me I have been paying attention as worst case senerio I will be 6 feet under. Water that is. And that is only because of the Allouette backing up. We are already boxing stuff too take to my parents.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »

Just drove by the river this morning here in Maple Ridge. Debris EVERYWHERE!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Zpg

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »

I'm going to post this "report" here as this thread still has some life.

Headed out early as usual and HOLY CRAP the debris was amazing :o Boating through it was a little daunting but I managed to get home with my prop in tact. As for the fishing......got skunked for the first time this year. I didn't even get a nibble, nothing. I tried different baits and talked with 2 other boats who fished yesterday and today with no luck.

On my way home I stopped to get some extra heavier weights (18oz, you are going to need them) and the shop owner told me a charter group of 3 boats went out last weekend and got a single tiny sturgeon between all of them. I'm beginning to wish this tournament was a month ago.

Guess if I want to catch something Sunday I'll have to bring some beers ;D

As for the water levels. One of my usual spots that was 38' in early April was 41' today. So as the charts show there has been a minimal level increase but the current is definately stronger. The big increase should show itself in the next few weeks.

Water temp today was 47.5. That should make for some nice sturgeon jumping when hooked.

Hope to see some of you out there Sunday.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:46:39 AM »

Like others have said, the river has and is coming up, and there are some good size trees coming your guys way, watch out for the sweepers. Most of you know, but have a buoy on the anchor rope and be ready to release it if you got one coming at you, play safe out there guys ;) Not an expert here, but maybe with the water conditions, the inflow mouths would be a better bet for some action.