Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a new Sturgeon Rod  (Read 4785 times)

Zpg

Looking for a new Sturgeon Rod
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »

The reel seat on one of my rods is getting loose so I am looking at making it the back-up and replacing it. Since it has not been an emergency, I have been looking around and the 2 that keep popping up are the Shimano and Trophy XL. I have no oversion to buying an 8' 1 piece as storage isn't an issue but wanted to hear what you guys think and like. Also, has anyone seen good deals on either of these in your travels?

TIA
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Looking for a new Sturgeon Rod
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »

I have two Trophy rods. They are my favorite by far. Also have a Big Cat and tis good but not as good as my Trophy's

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »

I've had a few sturgie rods....my latest is the Shimano and it is a great rod....wouldn't change it for anything!!!

Mike

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:12:25 PM »

Trophy one piece 8 foot, good rod plenty of power, and cheap.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »

Just to change things up from the standard Trophy, Shimano debate I vote for the Lamiglas BFC70H. Great rod, lots of backbone, and its beautifully built. No ceramic insert guides to pop out, three colour wrap job and a SOLID metal reel seat. $155, so less than the shimano but more than the trophy. Riverside Fly & Tackle has them in stock, but make sure you get the one with the metal reelseat, some have standard plastic.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:19:54 PM »

Ive got a Penn Slammer that i really like.
Got it at Riverside also.
They have a great selection of Sturgeon Gear,tackle and bait.

Mike D.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:31:42 PM »

Well...as much as I love my Trophy's...I am slowly converting to shimano...the techs got me hooked! they are light and have a ton of backbone...plus!!!! they don't feel like they are going to break when your fighting a fish!!! Picking up my new shimmy Techy this weekend!  :D

Hubs has their Spring "Open House" Sale this upcoming weekend I believe...better go check it out!

Mike <"))))))><

Zpg

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 03:47:06 PM »

Thanks for everyones input. Today I decided on the Shimano Technium. A bit pricier than the TrophyXL but I liked the feel of the Shimano better. Now I'm chomping at the bit to use it!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »

Thanks for everyones input. Today I decided on the Shimano Technium. A bit pricier than the TrophyXL but I liked the feel of the Shimano better. Now I'm chomping at the bit to use it!

I have my eye on one as well. I like the sensitivity of the tip compared to that of the Trophy. I will probably pick one up  before the fall fishery.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family