Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on the Shimano 200 DC  (Read 2037 times)

fullahead

Question on the Shimano 200 DC
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »

Question on the Shimano 200 DC

My first level wind reel was an Abu Ambassador 1921/1991 Anniversary model, still have it. It came in a leather case. I bought a Calcutta 400, I use on the Fraser for springs, and now on the Vedder for steelhead. Shimano makes a very good product. The 400 might a little big a reel for the Vedder. I was looking at the New Shimano 200 DC model. I would sure be interested in hearing from someone that has used this reel. As 600 bucks is a lot of money to lay down.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Question on the Shimano 200 DC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »

Calais 200 DC is a great reel.  Overcast, sidecast, but when you cast into wind, it can be a bit tricky, as the spool rotates really smooth even with just 1/8 oz weight.

For the same money I would go with Daiwa Zillion it has more adjustment available for casting in windy days.  This reel will let you cast 1/32 oz weight with ease.

Both reels holds about same amount of line.  But 200 DC is narrower and the spool is therefore deeper.  So line storage is not great.  You might want to change the line yearly so not to get coil in them.  The Zillion has wider body and really shallow spool hence, it spins more freely(weight on the outer diameter of spool) casts further, need less weight to start spin and less line memory (a lot less).

fullahead

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »

BwiBwi
           I checked out the Calais 200 DC in Chilliwack it’s going for 750.00 dollars, just a little much for what I want spend. I am a player for about 400 .00 bucks. They did not have the Daiwa Zillion so I don’t know what they cost? How is the ante backlash on the Daiwa?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

Ziilion has very good anti-backlash control.  It's better than the calais.

PS you might want to check ebay.  Calais is about 250~400.  If you get the Jap version it's 250.
Zillion is about 220.