Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: whonnock lake  (Read 6433 times)

tumbleweed

whonnock lake
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

I want to take my two young boys out fishing this weekend. I looking for somewhere close and this will be their first time fishing in a boat. I live in abbotsford so whonnock lake is not too far away. Does it have a boat launch? Is the fishing decent in this lake?  They don't care what they catch but it would be nice to have some action to keep them interested. Thanks

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Re: whonnock lake
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »

I want to take my two young boys out fishing this weekend. I looking for somewhere close and this will be their first time fishing in a boat. I live in abbotsford so whonnock lake is not too far away. Does it have a boat launch? Is the fishing decent in this lake?  They don't care what they catch but it would be nice to have some action to keep them interested. Thanks
it has a spot to launch a motorless boat. fishing has been good for me their. if you r using flys use a pumpkin head and troll it.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »

There is a small gravel launch for small boats. There are no motors allowed on the lake, not even electric. The fishing is the same as most of the lower mainland stocked lakes, the only difference being that it doesn't get fished out as fast as some of the others (ie lafarge and green timbers). There are also crappie in that lake which are great when taking young children because they are quite easily caught and readily available. Although it might still be a little early for the crappie, it needs to warm up a bit.

Nutterbug

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »

If you want close, Mill Lake also has a boat launch, is regularly stocked and is in Abbotsford.

But you probably already know that.

tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »

If you want close, Mill Lake also has a boat launch, is regularly stocked and is in Abbotsford.

But you probably already know that.
I thought about Mill but parking for the boat trailer might be tough during the day. I did not know whonnock was no motor as I had not checked the regs yet. Thanks for your help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:47 PM »

What size boat? You could take them to Alouette lake as the kokanee fishing is still very good.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »

My boat is a 12 foot aluminum.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »

If target species is not so important, perhaps Cultus Lake would be an option. Northern pikeminnow, largescale sucker, peamouth chub, cutthroat trout, bull trout and possibly the odd kokanee. There are also public boat launches.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »

Whonnock is a nice lake to take the kids as it has a beach area for the kidst to play on if they need a break from the fishing
If the crappie are biting it is great for the kids as once you get into them dont move and you will have lots of hook ups
If you do go there try fishing just before the floating platform (approx 300mts out) you will see the lilly pads just below the surface, this is where the crappie love to hide
the kids can use a spinner set up with a bobber and worm\ power bait etc,
 even a small fly under the bobber with a slow retrieve will get you some crappie
There are Rainbows (stocked) and some cutties in there so lots to fish for
This is also a lake away from the noise of traffic.
You only need oars to get you out to where you need to be also an anchor to keep you in the zone
lots of space to park your trailer
good luck and have fun :)

FishOn36

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 11:12:51 AM »

So did you head out there tumbleweed? if so how as it?

tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »

No I did not go out. My bad, I forgot it was mothers day this weekend. I will try next weekend.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:09:55 PM »

No I did not go out. My bad, I forgot it was mothers day this weekend. I will try next weekend.

--sometimes mom's appretiate a day with no worries and just put their feet up in peace and quite while you take the kids fishin.. maybe not.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »

I know Mom's who choose fishing as a way to spend Mothers Day.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"