Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braided/No Stretch Lines etc.  (Read 21608 times)

TtotheE

Re:Braided/No Stretch Lines etc.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »

I use 50# tuff xp because when I was using 30# fireline I was constantly losing gear (musta been my knots!).  They sell those wire rigs now at tackles shops with a connection for leader, weight and mainline.  They are the absolute BOMB as I've lost less weights/gear since trying it out.  After pulling in many many bb rigs that were snagged it was easy to see that most lines were snapped just an inch or two above the weight, making the wire or heavier abrasion resistant line a better choice to connect close to your weight.  Now tossing more junk like wire to be lost in the fraser, dunno how that weighs on people's minds.  But last time I pulled up a bar rig with 120lb wire and a 20oz weight I made 4 of those wire leader/weight connector things.  I usually pull in 4-5 weights for every 1 I lose.

When snagged (its easy to tell, with braided line a snag WILL NOT move) I wrap a towel around my hand, wrap the line around and walk back slowly. Yanking fast and hard will usually break your line, even at 50#.  And reefing on your rod to get rid of a snag usually makes the line not only damage the gears in a high gear ratio reel,  but it digs the line into the spool thus causing birds nests next cast.

I also find that with mono,  it is almost a must to use the high sticking technique to feel the bounce,  and is difficult to distinguish between a fish and a snag/rock.

With braid I point my rod at my line after reeling in slack to 12oclock,  so the line barely touches my guides.  This allows you to "feel" the rocks. (and eventually help distinguish what a fish is)

So anglers,  high or low stick bouncing?

TtotheE

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 08:15:28 PM »

excellent fish_4_life!  I'd have to agree since you're usually casting to the faster water with the heavier betties,  thus high sticking would keep more line out of the water, creating less drag so you could feel more bottom.  With a lighter betty,  you're usually casting to areas with less flow thus low sticking would allow the drag caused by your line to help the betty across the bottom!

Bantam_50

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »

high sticking ::).....LOL = find you lose alot of fish because you can't set the hook.

Fireline / Tuff xp = going to the darkside....if you can't feel them with mono you haven't honed the art.  :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 11:57:16 PM »

Love my Tuff XP 30 lb. test.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2004, 07:54:04 AM »

Low stick with Maxima Ultra Green.  I love watching the guys on the bars that can't tell if it's a fish or not aND swing like Sammy Sosa.  I always yell "SWING AND A MISS.  MANY MORE LIKE THAT AND HE'S GOIN' TO THE MINORS". ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Braided/No Stretch Lines etc.
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »

does walmart sell tuff line?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 11:24:42 AM »

does walmart sell tuff line?

Yup - I've seen it there.

chesapeakebay

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »

So does Army & Navy Langley. Xp pro is good stuff for me . Gave some to a friend and he pulled a car tire out of the fraser with it . And you don't loose your gear. Worst case you straighten your hook. 2yrs running it and no problems . Down on the Fraser west of the Alex Fraser bridge.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 03:01:31 PM by chesapeakebay »
Fishing or metal detecting its always nice to get silver

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »

thanks fellas - this darn internet is too useful in info sometimes - seems like Power Pro line is quite good too - do they have local sellers as well?

Dale9

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 07:16:14 PM »

Used to use what you got (20lb. Maxima, or sometimes 17lb.) and have switched to PowerPro. 

Since it's a no-stretch line, it's not as effectively "strong" as the Maxima (which tends to be undertested, and has a nice forgiving stretch to it.)  So don't use 20lb. no-stretch line and expect the same results...instead jump up to 30lb. or so.

An 80lb. no-stretch line can be a bit*h when you get your line stuck on the bottom of the river and have to break it off....the stuff cuts into your hands etc. so much that at that super high of a breaking strength you might have problems actually breaking it off.

I LOVE the feel of my weight using the no-stretch line.....much more feedback on what's going on down there!

You might lose a few more fish, however, since Maxima's stretch is nicely foregiving when playing fish.

Years ago I tried a no-stretch line on the DOWNRIGGER, and it didn't stay in the clip very well at all.

I've heard from a friend that clinch knots don't work well on these no-stretch lines....I use a knot-tying tool and tie what amounts to a 4-wrap snell knot around the line after I run it through the swivel.

You'll probably LIKE it 20% better, or HATE it 100% worse than Maxima...Maxima is the safe choice, since no-stretch lines are either love-em-or-hate-em to many people.  Not a good OVERALL line to use in every situation, whereas the Maxima is certainly the best OVERALL line to use.

Maxima "PERFEXION" is probably way too limp to use on a bait-casting reel....use either their "ULTRAGREEN" or the "CHAMELEON"