Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aug 24 th Sockeye Update....what does this mean  (Read 6743 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Aug 24 th Sockeye Update....what does this mean
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

http://www.psc.org/news_frpnews.htm

Looks like everything is coming back stronger than expect...no openings annouced yet tho.

Is this the right page for opeings/announcements?!?!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 05:51:49 PM by The Boss »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Aug 24 th Sockeye Update....what the hell does this mean
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »

yes, the aug 24 update looks good. maybe politics? maybe they do not know we want to fish.  ???

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 03:47:09 PM »

??? got me sounds like a good return so far guess the dfo wants to let the natives clean the whole river then let the sporties have a shot at the left overs.oh well time to go camping again. ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 03:50:30 PM »

It means that our elected liberals, who have thier high paying government jobs to represent the interests of CANADIAN CITIZENS, are slapping us tax paying liscence buying 2nd rate citizens in the face with thier hot air and rethoric regarding salmon runs.
DFO doesn't know it's my friend from a hole in the ground and will tell the masses whatever sounds reasonabl or in the very least beleivable, as to why they make the decisions they do.
I think we need to rip down and reconstruct the DFO staff and operating system and start fresh.
Remember when Herb Daliwal was fisheries minister...... what the hell does he know about fishing or fisheries????? having unqualified persons at the top of the pole is just one small part of why DFO is a useless, not to be trusted entity that needs to be put out to pasture.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 04:42:20 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=82138&ID=recreational

The Fraser River Panel met Wednesday, August 24 to receive an update on the
migration of Fraser River sockeye salmon. The migration of Fraser River sockeye
through the marine assessment areas has continued to be generally strong over
recent days. At the meeting today the Panel increased the run size estimate of
Early Summer-run sockeye from 375,000 fish to 400,000 fish (56% of the 50%
probability level forecast of 718,000 fish). The Panel also approved an
increase in the run size estimate of Summer-run sockeye from 4,500,000 fish to
5,000,000 fish (45% of the 50% probability level forecast of 11,048,000 fish).
Fraser River temperature and flow conditions are currently satisfactory for the
migration of sockeye and pink salmon.

The Department is currently assessing the impacts to date on Late run stocks to
ensure that the 15% exploitation rate objective is not exceeded. 

The next update will be Thursday, August 25th.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »

what i dont understand is that recently they have been haveing a meeting every second day now they had a meeting today and there haveing another one tommorow , is one day gonna make that big of a difference from what they talk about today then tommorow ???

You bet it will make a difference! More money to line their pocket! Oh Canada  ::)

blueback

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:15:33 PM »

They probably have to ask the minister; and he probably has to ask the PM. Both politicians took the day off for golf and dinner at the country club ::) ;D "He's out of the office for the day, but he'll be back tommorrow". So we wait for permission. God help the poor old DFO guys if they actually make a decision based on science and not politics!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 05:18:01 PM by blueback »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 05:27:14 PM »

Maybe the are gona open it tommorow since a day after report is very unusual they meet every 3 or 2 days usualy well lets just hope.
[

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
Re: Aug 24 th Sockeye Update....what does this mean
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 06:24:11 PM »

Rumor has it that 2 f/n freezers were down , but they should have them up and running by late tonight.
So that should give them time to fill them by oooooh tomorrow afternoon and then maybe then ........

:P

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 08:20:17 PM »

You guys are ridiculous. Honestly, do you think they would leave it closed when it could be open?

I was out there off the mouth fishing today, and there isn't a lot of sockeye around out there.

GREEDY PEOPLE!!!!!
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:27 PM »

:-\ i second that  ::)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 08:40:35 PM »

Fishin Magician...you and I have been on the same wave length as of later re the socs...but I am sick and tired of the sporties being left in the cold.

They insinuate that things arent open to: "The Department is currently assessing the impacts to date on Late run stocks to
ensure that the 15% exploitation rate objective is not exceeded. "

Is it not the SUMMER RUN the natives are fishing right now...did they not say the SUMMERS are showing improving strength in the marine approach ways...WHY IN HELL ARE THEY WORRYING ABOUT THE LATE RUN NOW!

Its just BULL **** to keep the sporties (that includes you out trolling at the bell bouy/QA marker) away from the socs.

With the FN now probably above the 400,000 mark, I am getting pissed off with DFO's numbers game. 

Early stuarts, now are pegged around 400,000...3 weeks ago (while FN fished em) DFO was saying 30,000.

Now with FN out in force, and the summer run upgraded to  FIVE MILLION...why cant they give us even a one day opening...if 2000 fishermen hit the fraser for one day...at worst thats 4000 fish...ONE HUNDRED TIMES LESS THAN FN CATCH IN 2005!!!

I say enuff is enuff!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:42:51 PM by Gooey »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »

I think tomorrow is a little early for them, but I think that it will open for the weekend.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 12:02:13 AM »

Gooey, we have been saying all along that DFO is married to FN.  The game is about politics.  FN get all their openings so there will be no one pointing the finger at DFO for not enforcing the fishery.  They took lots of public embarrassment last year, so this year, FN can fish all they want.  You really believe FN is still fishing for 'food and ceremonial purpose' after all these openings?

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »

Here is something to think about when you want to blame DFO for not enforcing the fishery. DFO can charge any or all the FN people that fish outside of legal openings , but the Fedral Justice department has to proceed with the charges. It really does not matter how many people are caught and charged if there is no prosecutor that is going to follow through. Some of these problems may not be at the DFO level, but instead direction from higher up the food chain saying  not to bother because nobody is going to follow through with any charges laid. Blame DFO all you want but the problem may not really be there.