Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where's a good place to go in Chilliwack this weekend?  (Read 4753 times)

pnKroK

Where's a good place to go in Chilliwack this weekend?
« on: August 24, 2005, 07:30:24 AM »

Howdy out there...

Just curious as to where would be the best place to go this sunday for Chinooks!

Of course nobody wants to give up their secret sweet spots and whatnot.

A friend and I were thinking of hitting Pegleg, but I've read some of the reports and things look sorta ok.

It would be nice to catch a nice Spring, but again...after reading some of the posts it looks like there are more socks in the river than springs (which is understandable!).

So, Island 22? Pegleg?  Any other spots/suggestions would be great.

Just looking to get out on the river for a day and have some fun.  Not looking to pull them in, in record numbers...just wanna hook my first Salmon of the year.

I don't hit the river/chuck much just because things have been so slow...but it looks like things have picked up a bit.

Thanks in adavance!

-rob C

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Where's a good place to go in Chilliwack this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 09:22:18 AM »

There will be an announcement mabe today as to whether the sporties will get a sockeye opening in the short term future...so stay in touch.  If it happens, any bar will be worth trip although extremly busy.

Going out to the fraser to hook springs when sockeye are closed is a practice I cant condone but many here do.  Its like finding a needle in a hay stach.   

Keep in mind these fish (the socs) are traveling hundreds more kilometer to their spawning grounds and with the river around 18 Celcious...catch and release of socks will cause mortality.  From there its u to you.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »

The guys on the walk-in side to Pegleg have been doing pretty darn well for Springs. You've got to get to the top of the bar for the best chance. To do that you may need to be camped there for a few days. Seriously - by daylight the best spots are taken. There are good numbers of Springs coming through now so you can expect to hook a Spring as long as you're patient and wait it out. Get to a spot in the middle of the bar and stick to it - eventually you'll hook-up and when you do you'll still have some beach to work the fish down so you can land it.

Laidlaw has always been productive for me and is my favorite place for walk-in Springs. Island 22 bar has washed away and the water there is now 40-50' deep.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:37:27 AM »

Hey Rieber, when you say "wait it out" do you mean the awful crowds or the all sockeye he will hook but cant retain ::)

If there's an opening for socs, my tune will change; but for now (with the resource in mind) I advise agaisnt flossing the fraser.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »

No Gooey, don't bottom bounce for them. You throw big Kit-A-Mat spoons for them. Cast slightly upstream and "rattle" the spoon off the bottom in short bursts - lift the rod tip then lower for another rattle throughout the cast. Why does every subject have to become a BB'ing debate? To fish with the rest of the crowd at Pegleg you'll probably want to do whatever the rest are doing unless you can get out to the boat side. Smile Gooey - BB'ing is lots of fun to. Just try an keep out of the current that the Sockeye prefer and stick to the water that the Springs prefer. It's definitaly not like trying to find a needle in a haystack unless you don't know what you're doing.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »

I carried big kitimats and iron heads last year...after I got my soc limit, I switched over...never any success on the main stem fraser that way...any further advice, loved to hear it (PM me if you like).

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 04:23:11 PM »

Gooey,

Until you hook into a big Spring on a spoon you'll never know what your missing. A 30+ pound Spring on a spoon hooked in the Fraser is the most exciting and terrifying thing going. These rippers nail it, get to the surface and scream off like torpeedos on top of the water. The terror comes from the alarming rate that your line dissapears off the spool and if you use 65# Tuff-Line XP like me - you never know what's going to happen if the fish completely spools you. Fortunatly I've never been spooled to the end of my line but came really close on Sunday when I lit up the river with a 39lb-6oz Red that went bezerk out there. Down the river, up the river, back hard at the boat, in the air several times. round and round the boat 8-10 times, in the air again, long runs in every direction, just nuts. Once you get used to the right water and start hooking these fish on spoons, you'll never want to try anything else.

pnKroK

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 07:58:16 AM »

well...

as far as catching sox goes...i'll try to minimize that as best as possible since there is the closure.

This is the first time i'll fish the fraser this year (well, ok...i hit pegleg once before but i didn't even see fish that day!) and its probably the only time i'll hit it until the chum start running.  I'm not too keen on hanging out with the crowds and lately the lake fishing is good enough for me!

Regardless...whats the BEST way to target those springs in the river?  I remember reading a post about it earlier...but i can't find that post again.  Something about them being in the faster currents or something like that?

I'll most likely be bb'ing...I KNOW I KNOW!!! I'll stop flossing as soon as i can get to the fishing store and get some decent lures and whatnot.  I'm seriously considering starting up fly fishing too!!  OR i'm just gonna to the bar fishing technique...cuz people don't seem to mind that too much.

What colour wool is workin' best?

If i do bar fishing...would spin glo's be best?  Or roe?

Just curious.

Thanks so much for the help all!

-rob C

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 08:09:49 AM »

I'll be out barfishing on Saturday for Springs. Use the standart orange/chrome or green/chrome. Also some roe or scents. I soak my spin n glos over night in either shrimp or herring oil. Also try prawns. Barfishing is allot of fun if you get some people together. You just sit back and relax, drink some beer and BS. No need to be casting all day. Their is nothing like hearing that sound of the bell!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 08:50:02 AM »

is laidlaw a good place for sox too?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »

Laidlaw is a great place for Sockeye. First light is best there.  Shortly after you'll get guys lined up shoulder to shoulder. Great place for Springs as well.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:28:32 PM »

So, where is a good place to bar fish from shore. You can PM me

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 02:40:46 PM »

Good place to barfish from shore is downstream of the Derouche boatlaunch. Park by the gate and hoof it down the dike for a 1/4 of a mile then follow the road/paths to the river. Fish off the remaining gravel bank. This bank used to be much bigger and we used to camp there years ago and get our fish virtually all the time. Used to be a real popular bar. Now most are too lazy to walk a bit.