Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A day of observing the First Nation Fishery  (Read 16335 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: A day of observing the First Nation Fishery
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 12:09:53 AM »

The bright spot was seeing an rec angler enjoying fishing for pike minnows as the sun was setting. He called them white fish and was going to make some type of soup with them. I believe I have a picture that Rodney may post.

Keep forgetting this. Posting to avoid more phone heckling. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2005, 12:23:48 AM »

Thanks Rodney, one of my better shots with my new, old camera. ;D ;D

The brightest observation of the whole day I might add.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2005, 01:46:51 AM »

After reading all posts, and thinking about this for some time (and not just now but in past as well), I thought that I could give out few of my thoughts which all people who are interested in conservation maybe will find usefull maybe just a waste of time, but any way, here they are:

1. Fact: all commercial and portion of FN fishing is there because some people are making profit and they want to keep making it.
Solution: Make fishing unprofitable.
How: You either overfish (no resources), or offer a solution to the interested sides by which they would make more money doing something else or offer their product at a lower price to the point it isn't profitable for them any more to do what they are doing.
One of the things I thought it could be usefull to have is a project under government funding (so it is easier to start) to invest in farming of Sockeye/Coho/Chinook salmon. I know many people will think I am not informed about farming pollution, but I read a lot about it and am still not educated enough about it to make a statement that a farm would pollute/kill more fish than FN/commercial nets. Right now it looks we are having a problem, and maybe this would be a new problem, but if farmed fish is so low in price and so available, and gas prices keep going up, it is going to become very expensive to fish by boats and they will not be able to sell their fish. In this case they will maybe still fish for food and ceremonial purposes, and commercials will even stop working all together. This could create a situation where many of these boat owners will convert to sport fishing guides and get big rich people from all around world to come here, fish, and spend even more money = more profit for current fishing people. These rich people will want higher standards, cleaner rivers, bigger abundance of fish, ... what will force everybody to take more care of the resource.
Another thing was to maybe give FN some special guiding permits in the areas where they take a special care of the resource as they own so much of river shore line. That way they would take more care of fish as it would mean again more money. This should go with education as well, where we should show to people that you make much more money per pound of fish in a guide service than in selling fish on the street.
Third, government should really make harder to get any fishing licenses. From commercial to recreational. I do not know why they issue me a license without making me to pass a test. I know money is an issue, but if they want to keep resources afloat (or better said in the water) they have to play harder as well.

2. Make public much more aware through TV/newspaper/local community/clubs/... adds/marketing. Tell them that every time they buy an illegally caught fish they are telling their kids it is OK to steal as well, or to kill an animal just because we can do it.

3. I am not having a legal background and have no idea if it is possible in Canada or not, but through news I follow work of war crime tribunal in Hague and they are prosecuting some of people because they knew about atrocities being committed, they had a power to stop them, but they didn't do anything. All ministers/DFO officers/managers, RCMP, ... who know about a crime (and I do not care how "big" it is, a crime is a crime), have a power of stooping it but they do not do it, could they be charged in the court as well?

good luck

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 01:49:33 AM »

Rod & Chirs, wonderful stories from the two 'rare gems' of sport fishing community.  Keep up the good work.  Your work proves that DFO is really just a political organization. Intimidated & harrassed by FN, now their only option left is appeasement.  Lots of empty words and token decrees. I don't know why such noble & unselfish deeds of yours deserve some unkind comments.  It is quite clear that you are just trying to expose the problems with FN openings - no monitoring and rules are not followed so there is no way to control how many fish were taken.  Thank you for voicing your concern straight from your heart.  That is sincerity, man.  I applaud.  :D

If some one wants to play down such a selfless work of yours, and siezes it as another chance to attack BBers and want to start another ethics war, I can volunteer my time on your behalf.  You two can do the more important work on behalf of the fish and the sporties.  For those who want to attack BBing unchecked, there is always the SCR site, where you can chant the anti-flossing slogans and every member there will hug you.

stormrider

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE to fish
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2005, 11:02:10 AM »

I live in the interior and away from the turmoil of fisheries openings on the Fraser River.   It's interesting reading all the posts and seeing how things are going on the "coast".  Rodney....your post was very interesting and well done.  I think we can all say wow...that is exactly what is happening.  It's a shame things have to be that way....we need the government to wake up  and legislate better management that "should" be fair to all and most of all conserve our natural resouces before they are a thing of the past.  Well done.  I'll keep reading.....  I sure hope things turn around, before it's too late...

Bantam_50

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:13 PM »

Rod & Chirs, wonderful stories from the two 'rare gems' of sport fishing community.  Keep up the good work.  Your work proves that DFO is really just a political organization. Intimidated & harrassed by FN, now their only option left is appeasement.  Lots of empty words and token decrees. I don't know why such noble & unselfish deeds of yours deserve some unkind comments.  It is quite clear that you are just trying to expose the problems with FN openings - no monitoring and rules are not followed so there is no way to control how many fish were taken.  Thank you for voicing your concern straight from your heart.  That is sincerity, man.  I applaud.  :D

If some one wants to play down such a selfless work of yours, and siezes it as another chance to attack BBers and want to start another ethics war, I can volunteer my time on your behalf.  You two can do the more important work on behalf of the fish and the sporties.  For those who want to attack BBing unchecked, there is always the SCR site, where you can chant the anti-flossing slogans and every member there will hug you.

Question to you funfish and you're only allowed a yes or no answer. Will you angle the Fraser BB syle in 2007?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »

Sorry Bantam, no one can dictate how I answer a question ever, you included.  If you are sincere about a honest answer, I will BB all the days of my useful life as long as the fish stock is abundant & DFO opens it for harvest by means of flossing.  You and your anti-flossing gangs can lobby the government to close us down.  Good luck for trying.  Minority never wins in a free country.   If you are really that passionate to protect your pet fish, go after them big boys.  Spend your time lobbying the government to limit FN's harvest and to monitor their catch, like Chris & Rod are doing (which you seem to be not very appreciative). The socs will thank you more.

If it is ethics you are debating, there have been enough debates on this site and FishBC to fill an encyclopedia.  No worth my time, hopefully yours too.  In the end, as long as legally allowed, those who wish to floss, floss.  Those wish not to floss, do something else.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005, 08:50:33 AM »

Good job Rod, Nina and Chris. Resource management especially around the fish issue gets my blood boiling - and its nice to see three well spoken and logical people are out there on the front lines doing the best that they can. Its a mighty good thing that I am not PM of this country, because if this kind of abuse were to continue, the Comox based CF18's would be a lot busier than they are now.

You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »

Sorry Bantam, no one can dictate how I answer a question ever, you included.  If you are sincere about a honest answer, I will BB all the days of my useful life as long as the fish stock is abundant & DFO opens it for harvest by means of flossing.  You and your anti-flossing gangs can lobby the government to close us down.  Good luck for trying.  Minority never wins in a free country.   If you are really that passionate to protect your pet fish, go after them big boys.  Spend your time lobbying the government to limit FN's harvest and to monitor their catch, like Chris & Rod are doing (which you seem to be not very appreciative). The socs will thank you more.

If it is ethics you are debating, there have been enough debates on this site and FishBC to fill an encyclopedia.  No worth my time, hopefully yours too.  In the end, as long as legally allowed, those who wish to floss, floss.  Those wish not to floss, do something else.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »

maybe we need to start "peacefully" blockading boat launches and marinas during FN openings.
blockades are an FN tactic that has never been reversed on them around these parts.
i'd wear some kevlar though :D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2005, 07:44:47 PM »

:o sounds like a good idea no need for kavlar theres more of us than them. but bring it just in case :o

mrspill

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2005, 08:45:11 PM »

I hope you don't mind but I printed your pic from Aug 20, it is something I would like  as a       example of an excellent end to a good day

Bantam_50

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »

Sorry Bantam, no one can dictate how I answer a question ever, you included.

LOL ... if so why'd you reply?  ;D

And I'll take that as a yes. Which I presumed.  ::) Nice to hear you'd be back flossing whatever :-\ sockeye return we get from the totally devastated run of last year. Good to know where your priorities ly.

You and your anti-flossing gangs

Funny how you're an expert at judging someone you don't know nothing about. Care to prove  I'm an anti-flosser? Could we  state Chris is an anti-flosser also?

Minority never wins in a free country.

Currently the FN and especially the Cheam have you and a few others reconsidering that.  :P

If you are really that passionate to protect your pet fish, go after them big boys.  Spend your time lobbying the government to limit FN's harvest and to monitor their catch, like Chris & Rod are doing (which you seem to be not very appreciative). The socs will thank you more.

If you knew me you'd feel silly making that statement ...  :D I find it odd how someones questions and/or views of a post, suddenly become criticism if they're not marching to the same drum here. If you or they feel it's criticism ...   ::) *shrug* ::) ...  oh well.

I've learned to avoid trying to make a rock bleed. But I've been known to convert a Beek or 2.  :D  ;D  :D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2005, 12:34:57 AM »

Bantam, if the 2007 year return is not abundant enough, DFO will not open it, and sockeye fishers will not target them. Don't worry about me. I am law abiding & I only have a hook & a rod.  Unfortunately, the only people allowed to fish is probably FN, your beloved group who you seem to defend whatever fishing practices they like to do because you think they deserve their 'food' fish when every one else know it is their '$$$' fish they are going after.

I hope you worry more about what they will do to the socs in 2007, and put your effort into stopping DFO's madness to allow FN  drift-neting the Fraser. Spend your time with the real culprits who are wiping out 10s of thousands of your pet fish dialy.  You are the kind of guy who like to rant and pick on other people's peaceful reportings, as if they know nothing and you know everying.  If you are so passionate about the cause of sockeye conservation, you deal with the big boys.  Do something like Rod & Chris had done, or organize a protest against what FN is doing to the fish stock.  That is more meaningful to save fish stock than spending time trying to bash forum members, including Rod, as if you are the only one with conservation of sockeyes in mind.

I was at the bars instructing newbies to avoid socs, or to land & release sockeye properly, and yelling at guys who tried to bonk socs while fighting a spring.  You can explain to forum members what meaningful things you have done for socs except bashing & trashing people on this forum.

Every one is entitled to one's preferred method to fish the Fraser legally.  Whether he/she is considered anti-flossing is judged by the intent to trash  & to bash BBers' preferred method to fish the Fraser.  In that regard, Chris is quite a gentleman.  He does it by persuasion, not derogatory comments or name-callings like some individuals like to do.  I exhort all to respect others' fishing preferrences as long as it is accepted by DFO so that fishing forums do not become a battle zone for zealots & demagogues.  A good fishing forum is a place where info & experiences can be shared in an open, friendly, helpful, unbiased, and inclusive manner.  I think FWR has managed to do just that.  Applaud the mods.   :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:41:25 AM by funfish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 12:44:08 AM »

I hope you don't mind but I printed your pic from Aug 20, it is something I would like  as a       example of an excellent end to a good day
Thats fine, buy me a Tim's coffee one day. ;D ;D