Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Late Monster sox run, fact or myth?  (Read 8636 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Late Monster sox run, fact or myth?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »

how big of a monster run are we talking about

lowlight

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 05:01:07 PM »

how big of a monster run are we talking about

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=82023&ID=recreational

"There is still high uncertainty in the estimation of Summer-run sockeye abundance due primarily to variability in assumptions regarding their late marine migratory timing.  It is projected that the run size of Summer-run sockeye is likely to exceed 3,000,000 fish."

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 03:01:55 AM »

There is another site totally geared for anti-flossers.  The gentleman in question should have full knowledge of it.  I hope this site can maintain an open & unbiased attitude towards people's choice of participating in legal sockeye fishery.  Sockeye fishers deserve the right & opportunity to participate in this fishery when the fish stock permits it.  It should not be exclusively for FN, particularly in light of the facts that they are selling these fish, and that the test fisheries are showing much improved number.

I am also sick & tired of some members hammering the BBers in this forum who just want to express their legal right to free speech to express their concern that there is a total hypocrisy and double standard in DFO's decrees.  Just because you quit fishing for sockeye does not mean others have to follow you.  This is a free country where every one has the same right as you to choose what they like to do, as long as it is legally allowed.  Why not stop verbally attacking each other and have some peace in this forum?  So far, sporties's catch of sockeye is zero. So even that is not bad enough that sockeyes fishers deserve more verbal assaults?.  Wake up man, turn your anger towards the real cultpit if you truly care about the fish stock. They have taken over 300,000 fish and more counting. Oooh sorry, how much of their catch has been legally counted?  ;D
It has been said, if you don't want to participate into this legal fishery, go do something else.  The only thing resulting from these attacks or venomous remarks towards other members only result in spliting the unity of fisherman brotherhood. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:23:14 PM by funfish »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 08:34:34 AM »

well said. could not of said it better myself. It's too bad that most of the fighting occurs on the river between bbers will fishing.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 12:53:44 PM »

Does anyone know if i can still watch or read of the story that global told when they said mass numbers of sockeye were still to come? I checked the http://www.canada.com/vancouver/globaltv/index.html but came up with nothing recent.
The Bigger The Better!

gman

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 02:49:54 PM »

http://www.psc.org/TestFish/Area12PSsummary.PDF

Check out this link. This is the test fishery from Johnstone straight. Up until last week the largest catches were 3000, 4000, with most in the 100s. August 20 they caught 16000, and August 21 they caught 14000. These two catches account for almost half of the total they have caught since that test fishery started July 20.

Aside from the evidence of a lot of fish still coming it sure points out that the test fishery catches a lot of fish.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 04:18:41 PM »

It goes to point out how silly & meaningless to accuse your fellow recreational fishermen for harming sockeye stock. It seems that the only thing some members are interested in is to verbally attack other members when the log into this forum.

The real deal is that  FN nets & test nets are hauling in huge number of sox now daily. Those nets in one day can haul in the equivalent catch total of the sporties in an entire season. Please be fair &  put your ungrounded bias or self-righteous inclination aside, so your eyes can be wide open about the reality out there.  If you want to talk about fish conservation, direct your effort to the real culprits.  DFO has divorced the commercials, and now their new partner is the FN.  As usual, the spouse can drain all the resources unchecked.... ;D  Unfortunately, the sporties is not related to the family, and got banished from their party.  ;D  Our only option is to stand in line & wait for some left overs.....  >:( :(

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:30:10 PM by funfish »

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »

Monster sockeye run, fact or fiction, does not matter.  Being labeled "Sport Fisherman" put us ultra low on the totem pole when it come to fisheries.  Since we are "Sport Fisherman", we are only suppose to be in it "fun", "recreation" and the "sport" of it all. 

Hence, large sockeye runs or tiny sockeye run as the label ("Sport Fisherman") dictates  --"Sport Fisherman" deserve to be last when it come to fishing rights or privileges.  Necessities in life, like food, is more important than "fun", "recreation" and the "sport" of it all.

I never participated in any fishing derby or competition.  I do not consider myself as a "Sport Fisherman".  I fish to catch food, plain and simple.  Being labeled a "Sport Fisherman", I have issues with. 
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 08:05:57 PM »

I agree.  I rather be called an angler.  But recreation angler is just fine.  Recreation means it is supposed to be fun, but being that does not mean the angler does not want to take the fish home for a nice meal.  Fishing is always both for fun and food for me.  Take one aspect away, I would rather play golf or badmingon like Chris.   ;D  It is just me.  I respect what others like to do with their fishing. Saying that, the term 'sport fishermen' seems to be stuck as a common term to label us who are not FN & commercials.  T

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 08:53:36 PM »

its actually great that we're labelled as recreational fishermen because it shows that we belong to the    public sector, consumers, not fishing for profit nor political agendas.  we represent millions of dollars that goes towards our sport....unlike other special interest groups who's in it, strictly for the reasons, i have already stated.

....monster run or myth?  at this rate of mismanagement, could end up being...history.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:01:13 PM by blaydRnr »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 02:38:46 AM »

or end up as a legend