Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice fishing Hot spots ?  (Read 2246 times)

James

Ice fishing Hot spots ?
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:11:12 PM »

A couple friends and I want to go ice fishing ... Except none of us know anything about it . other than . it's cold and you put a hole in the ice . lol

Where ?
When ?
What equipment do I need ?

Thanks for the help .

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Re: Ice fishing Hot spots ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »

I am no expert, but you definately need ice... at least 4 inches otherwise you might fall through.  12 inches if you plan to drive on... you can use an auger to cut through up to 2.5 feet or an axe or ice chisel if it is thinner (less than 6 inches I guess).  For trout I have had luck using velveta cheese on light line and REALLY sensitive rods.  For fish like pike I have had luck using smelt sitting right on the bottom using a texas rig.  White fish are really finicky, but I have caught them using flies just under the ice in 3 feet of water.  Lake trout apparently like a white jig head with a white jig tail although I have never landed one... yet.

I guess my suggestion is to start on a stocked lake and use pretty much the same setup you would use under a bobber.

As for the lowermainland, I don't know any lakes that really freeze... maybe rice lake?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »

if you are in the interior of the province you have countless opportunities, starting in around three weeks depending on temp and elevation of course. im not an expert by any stretch but this is how i do it and we have had good success around the kamloops area for rainbows and brookies.  we have two little kid sleds that we put a couple of makeshift stools, a copper pan to hold a fire in (it is illegal to have a fire directly on the ice, i believe it is because ash can get into fish gills and cause them to suffocate when the ice melts ??? ???), some wood, coffee with liquer, box of beer, bag of cooked shrimp, auger, some wood, a scoop spoon with holes in it to scoop the ice out of your holes or clear them when they start to freeze over, a couple of light action fishing rods and tow all your stuff on the sleds out to a chosen location. make a bunch of holes when you get to a spot so you arent spooking fish constantly. we usually go from shallow 2-3ft all the way up to 8-10 to even 15ft. starting a foot off the bottom and leave for a bit, if no bites move up a foot in the water column at a time until you find the level the fish are most constantly striking at. use small bobber with reasonably light line 2-6lb test and a split shot about one to two feet up from the hook to get the bait down. throw a chair down light your fire and enjoy some wobbly pops intermixed with coffees. make sure of course you are dressed for the occasion because it can get chilly. ice fishing can be one of the most productive ways to fish, amazing if you get to the right spot at the right time. i cant wait to get out there. here are some pics of red lake from last year.....

we got into around thirty fish a day out there over two days., it was a blast ;D ;D ;D ;D

Red Lake

the walk out to our spot

just getting started (cleaning the holes out after punching some holes)

our set up (best part is the pan for the fire, when we figured this out it made for much warmer days out there if you dont have a tent ;)

the take home

the holiday season will be here before you know it ;D ;D ;D

tight lines and watch you bobber
derek
always a student

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »

Hi Dereke, what do you use for bait?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »

we usually use fresh cooked shrimp from the grocery store. get it fresh from the deli. always seems to out produce other baits such as power bait etc.
always a student

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:44:27 AM »

Thank you.  I've seen people fishing on lakes near 100mile House before.  Always wanted to try but never got the time.  This year (hopefully)  will get the chance.

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »

if you are in the interior of the province you have countless opportunities, starting in around three weeks depending on temp and elevation of course. im not an expert by any stretch but this is how i do it and we have had good success around the kamloops area for rainbows and brookies.  we have two little kid sleds that we put a couple of makeshift stools, a copper pan to hold a fire in (it is illegal to have a fire directly on the ice, i believe it is because ash can get into fish gills and cause them to suffocate when the ice melts ??? ???), some wood, coffee with liquer, box of beer, bag of cooked shrimp, auger, some wood, a scoop spoon with holes in it to scoop the ice out of your holes or clear them when they start to freeze over, a couple of light action fishing rods and tow all your stuff on the sleds out to a chosen location. make a bunch of holes when you get to a spot so you arent spooking fish constantly. we usually go from shallow 2-3ft all the way up to 8-10 to even 15ft. starting a foot off the bottom and leave for a bit, if no bites move up a foot in the water column at a time until you find the level the fish are most constantly striking at. use small bobber with reasonably light line 2-6lb test and a split shot about one to two feet up from the hook to get the bait down. throw a chair down light your fire and enjoy some wobbly pops intermixed with coffees. make sure of course you are dressed for the occasion because it can get chilly. ice fishing can be one of the most productive ways to fish, amazing if you get to the right spot at the right time. i cant wait to get out there. here are some pics of red lake from last year.....

we got into around thirty fish a day out there over two days., it was a blast ;D ;D ;D ;D

Red Lake

the walk out to our spot

just getting started (cleaning the holes out after punching some holes)

our set up (best part is the pan for the fire, when we figured this out it made for much warmer days out there if you dont have a tent ;)

the take home

the holiday season will be here before you know it ;D ;D ;D

tight lines and watch you bobber
derek
nice fish. :)
small fish in a big river

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »

Im headed ice fishing in december is anybody able to point me in the direction of a few productive hardwaters??

Anywhere 4 hrs from Van is ok, Kamloops, Merrit, Cache Creek??