Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tunkwa Lake questions  (Read 7437 times)

Ambassador

Re: Tunkwa Lake questions
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »

Good to hear Dan. The 1/16oz Gibbs Croc pretty much never fails there. You won't be able to get into one fish after another because these fish just don't take lures well when hatches are happening, but they will always react to it every now and then. If fly fishing is slow, the spoon will always get fish. I was doing the same thing there back in May, had a lot of fun using a really light 1-4lb ultralight setup.
I like that explanation! I'm gonna use that reason as to why I didn't hook up my day out there a few weeks back. Didn't have my fly rod so was chucking 1/8oz spoons. The fly guys and gals were doing quite well that day. Nephew landed one of the bigger trout I've seen on a chronomid and moments later his girl got a sweet 2+ pounder - both near the south side.

Rod - can you suggest a good ultralight rod? Broke both mine this summer. Considering ordering a Daiwa Presso 1-4, but love some suggestions. Pairing it with my Shimano Symetre 1000.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »

I've been using the Gloomis SR 6010 IMX. 5', rated 1 to 4lb, moderate action. It's by far the nicest ultralight spinning rod I have ever used but it also breaks the bank lol...

Daiwa Spinmatic C 6' 1-4lb is another one to look at. It's also nice, but once you pick up the Gloomis you don't really want to use this one anymore... ;D

HKSR

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

So just got confirmation that we'll be staying in the Luxury Log Cabin #1 in late August next year!!  I can't wait!! :D

We'll definitely be renting a boat for the week, but was wondering if there is any action from the shore?  We'll be spending most of our time fly fishing, but would also consider bringing our spinning gear if it's worthwhile.

Thoughts or comments?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »

So just got confirmation that we'll be staying in the Luxury Log Cabin #1 in late August next year!!  I can't wait!! :D

We'll definitely be renting a boat for the week, but was wondering if there is any action from the shore?  We'll be spending most of our time fly fishing, but would also consider bringing our spinning gear if it's worthwhile.

Thoughts or comments?

Bait and bobber from shore or bobber and a chironomid fly.  I have never had luck with spinner from shore not sure how others have done tho?