Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study  (Read 78154 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Fraser River sockeye salmon C&R study
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »

Hopefully now we can get back on track to the original subject of this posting.  Thru all the messages - is the study still on track and are volunteers needed?
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

Hopefully now we can get back on track to the original subject of this posting.  Thru all the messages - is the study still on track and are volunteers needed?

The schedules of the study that I listed a week ago are still unchanged.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has scheduled the three five-day sampling periods to begin on August 10th, 17th and 24th respectively.  We plan to start fishing each day at 8:00am until we reach our goal for that day or 2:30pm, which ever comes first. The study will be conducted again on Grassy Bar, just downstream from Island 22 boat launch. Volunteer anglers at different skill levels are needed, no sign-up is required. For those needing a boat ride to/from the location, the group will be meeting each day at 7:30am at Island 22 and returning at 2:30pm. There is no need to sign up in advance, just come on by. Please make sure you park in the appropriate parking area for your vehicle type.

Make sure you bring appropriate clothings as they are forecasting rain on Monday, thankfully.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »

A fishery notice will be issued by DFO tomorrow for no fishing for sockeye salmon starting on Wednesday. Please note that this is different to no retention for sockeye salmon. By issuing this implementation, DFO wishes to see anglers reduce catching and release sockeye salmon significantly while targeting chinook, pink and chum salmon, meaning adopting alternative fishing methods such as barfishing, back trolling, lure casting and bait fishing.

Does this mean that the sockeye mortality study 2009 will be canceled?

I was planning to head out Thursday or Friday with my son to contribute to it, but now I guess that's out of the question.
Rodney please advise.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »

I haven't received any notices on cancellation, so I assume that it will continue. Studies are often carried out with a permitted issued so there are exceptions to the regulations that are in effect. I'll also send you a message on who you can contact directly regarding the status of the study.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »

I haven't received any notices on cancellation, so I assume that it will continue. Studies are often carried out with a permitted issued so there are exceptions to the regulations that are in effect. I'll also send you a message on who you can contact directly regarding the status of the study.
It will be continuing at this time, they also have some radio tags but I am awaiting word back if they are going to be used this year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »

It will be continuing at this time, they also have some radio tags but I am awaiting word back if they are going to be used this year.
They are applying radio tags this year I have just been told. This now adds some credibility in my mind to the study.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »

Good to hear they will radio tag some sockeye. It's expensive, the "Master" told me it was about $600 per fish for the tags. It will be interesting to see the results of how many make it to their natal streams.

Expensive yes but it should give a better indication of what happens to the fish, much improved over last year's study but of course the way they are getting them is....................................

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2009, 10:57:48 PM »

Expensive yes but it should give a better indication of what happens to the fish, much improved over last year's study but of course the way they are getting them is....................................

And just how else are sockeye in the Fraser supposed to be caught by recreational anglers?
Please do enlighten us, Chris.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »

how do you tag the control?
its not an indication of anything innless there is a control to compare your findings.
maybe the control could be caught in the ocean, tagged and recorded only when they pass a curtain point in the river, like where the snagging is taking place.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »

how do you tag the control?
its not an indication of anything innless there is a control to compare your findings.
maybe the control could be caught in the ocean, tagged and recorded only when they pass a curtain point in the river, like where the snagging is taking place.

Controls are fish that are seined at the same study site.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:02 PM »

I didn't realize they had 2 groups of fish.  maybe they are on to something.

BTW

I heard first hand
FN did unreal today, the fish are coming, the fish are coming.
(although Global reported different today)
maybe, maybe we are in with a chance.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »

And just how else are sockeye in the Fraser supposed to be caught by recreational anglers?
Please do enlighten us, Chris.
Milo, I think we may have seen the end of sockeye retention in the Fraser especially if sockeye continue to decline. You will now have to go to the ocean for them. ;D

The good news we should still have chinook, chum, pinks, trout and sturgeon and of course pike minnows to catch. We should be thankful for that.
It was many years ago we had no retention for sockeye, pink and chum in the Fraser River or for that matter most of our other rivers but it was the work of the FVSS and yes I was one of the directors who worked with FOC to get all these species open, it took a fair amount of work let me tell you. Before this we were content just catching chinook with the majority taken bar fishing. I think we can live without sockeye as we did before they were opened in the 1990's.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »

Milo, I think we may have seen the end of sockeye retention in the Fraser especially if sockeye continue to decline. You will now have to go to the ocean for them. ;D

The good news we should still have chinook, chum, pinks, trout and sturgeon and of course pike minnows to catch. We should be thankful for that.
It was many years ago we had no retention for sockeye, pink and chum in the Fraser River or for that matter most of our other rivers but it was the work of the FVSS and yes I was one of the directors who worked with FOC to get all these species open, it took a fair amount of work let me tell you. Before this we were content just catching chinook with the majority taken bar fishing. I think we can live without sockeye as we did before they were opened in the 1990's.

Chris, I was referring to the mortality study. The study needs sockeye to tag, yet you criticize the method they are caught with.
All I asked is if you could offer an efficient alternative angling method to catch sockeye for the study.

And don't worry about my sockeye for the table. My friendly FN neighbor has plenty of them for 12 bucks a piece.  :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »

Chris, I was referring to the mortality study. The study needs sockeye to tag, yet you criticize the method they are caught with.
All I asked is if you could offer an efficient alternative angling method to catch sockeye for the study.

And don't worry about my sockeye for the table. My friendly FN neighbor has plenty of them for 12 bucks a piece.  :P

And cheaper too. ;D
To answer your first part, once again, as I have said many times I do not favor any type of recreational angling that is using a method when the fish are not biting, to me it is not fair to the fish. I hold them in too high regard and their wonderful life cycle of hatching in some distance stream under adverse conditions threatened by floods and the many predators in the fresh water environment they try to avoid for a year or more before they migrate to the ocean where many other predators including man are after them for the 1 to 4 years they are there. They then must travel the return route back to their natal streams where the same dangers try to cut the journey short.

Saying this I guess in this case I do not favor the study as I once again I do not favor having to take them this way. Maybe one day I will give up angling, one never knows as  changes do happen as one time I was in the lineups at the Scale Bar and Grassy too, getting my share of sockeye with a good supply of betty's in the Leaf Craft. ::) ???

One final thing is, the F/N situation always gets drawn in to this debate, I feel that of course has many short comming too but must be dealt with separately by government. The SDA as I mentioned once again the other day worked very hard for many years  to have changes made but because of the apathy of many anglers it ran out of steam and funds.

It seems to be part of our society these days, lots of people like to complain be it on forums or over coffee but will not give monetary support, write letters, join a fishing club or attend environmental projects like river cleanups.

We must always remember that the future of the fish rely on us looking after them, as well does yours and my children along with our grandchildren who are relying on us to do so.
Sometimes we put our greed and monetary values ahead of these wonderful animals, our salmon.

Sorry for the long answer and I welcome any criticism of my views but I must remember Mr. D wanted me to refrain from posting ion this subject, I guess the way to do this is to go away fishing and away from a computer, sounds like a good idea, back in a day or so.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »

Today's notice just sent out.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0611-RECREATIONAL: SALMON:  Sockeye Hook & Release Pilot Mortality Study Region 2, Fraser River, Grassy Bar

The Fraser Salmon & Watershed Program (FSWP) in conjunction with the Department
of Fisheries & Oceans (DFO) is conducting the second year of a sockeye hook and
release study in the Fraser River to determine the short term (24 hour)
mortality of sockeye caught and released in recreational fisheries. 

A contract biologist, Jim Thomas of JO Thomas & Associates (JOT), will be
responsible for the operational aspects of the study.

We are seeking interested volunteers to assist us in the study.  We need
approximately 35 anglers each day of the study. If you are interested please
join us at the location and time noted below.

Study Design: fish will be caught by the usual recreational fishing methods and
also by beach seine.  Sockeye health will be assessed and the fish will be
tagged and placed into a net pen and held for 24 hours.  After the 24 hour
period the fish health will be assessed again and they will be released.  In
addition, up to 100 radio tags will be applied to the sockeye prior to release
to assess their upstream migration.

Species and Amounts: the goal is to catch up to 700 sockeye by angling and
beach seine methods. All live sockeye will be released after the 24 hour
holding period.

Meeting Location and Time: Island 22 boat launch each day of the study at 7:30
AM. Please make sure you park in the appropriate parking area for your vehicle
type. Transportation to the study area will be available for those without
boats.  There is no need to sign up; just show up at the boat launch.

Location of Study: Grassy Bar – a portion of the bar will be marked off and
used solely for the purpose of the study

Timing of Study: three 5 day time periods August 10-14, August 17-21 and August
24-28. Note: The last week is currently tentative and may be moved to August 31-
September 4.

Given the varying weather conditions expected please make sure you are prepared
and bring enough liquids to keep yourself hydrated.  You may also need rain
jackets, sunscreen, bug repellant and a hat.

Similar to last year you are required to provide your own rod, reel and line
and if you want your terminal tackle.  If you prefer, there will be a selection
of weights, leader and wool available.

The study is open to volunteer anglers of all experience levels so please come
on out and join us. 

For information on year one results please visit:
http://www.thinksalmon.com/fswp_project/item/fraser_sockeye_hook_and_release_mor
tality_study/

Notes:
Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0611
Sent August 11, 2009 at 12:19
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca