Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tsawwassen First Nation approves first urban treaty  (Read 1325 times)

bcguy

Tsawwassen First Nation approves first urban treaty
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »

Members of the Tsawwassen First Nation voted Wednesday to accept B.C.'s first urban treaty after years at the negotiating table.

Members voted 130-50 to accept the treaty negotiated with the federal and provincial governments.

Members of the Tsawwassen First Nation headed to the polls to ratify B.C.'s first urban treaty.
The treaty means the First Nation will get $40 million, a share of the Fraser River salmon catch and 372 hectares of Crown land south of Vancouver, near the mouth of the Fraser River.

Quite frankly, this whole thing reeks of back room deals. Include ALR land in the treaty, to get it out of the ALR, then the band develops it for business for even more money, the govenment wasn't stupid on this one, HHhmmm how do we get this land out of the damned ALR, and into development, wait a minute......I have an idea.

Oh yeah, and we dont have a part of a fishery any more, isn't this how the Magna Carta got started????
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Tsawwassen First Nation approves first urban treaty
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »

I would be interested in knowing what their share of the Fraser River catch is by species

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:31:40 AM »

They selling Sockeye yet? ::) I think it's about time they had a treaty or whatever, but you can't help wondering about the overlapping of areas claimed by differant tribes and the ALR losing more farmland. How are they going to deal with that? Hopefully things will remain civil.

Second nationer, first for fishing, third grade in education, lastly of the other Canadian tribe.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »

I would be interested in knowing what their share of the Fraser River catch is by species

You can look it up, however it is not just fish. Remember crabs, check that one out.