Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning a trip to BC  (Read 4262 times)

Jaggers

Planning a trip to BC
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say greeting and happy new year to all.  I must admit I have been lurking for a while here but now think it was time to get involved.  I really enjoy reading the input and stories posted here....so thanks!  Anyways, I hail from Ontario and have a brother going to school at UBC.  I am currently in between contracts with the Ministry of Natural Resources and am thinking of coming out to visit for the month of February.  So I am putting it out to the locals to see what kind of stuff there is to do during this month.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am an experienced fly boy fishing for trout, bass and steelies.

Thanks for your help everyone! Hope to hear from you soon!

Josh

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Planning a trip to BC
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:54:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum Jaggers, and an advanced welcome to BC. There are two main fisheries that are available in February for flyfishermen in Southern BC. One would be the winter steelhead fishery that runs from now until April, the other would be the trout fishery that can be unpredictable at times due to their highly migratory pattern.

For steelhead, the main rivers that you may want to try out would be the Chilliwack River, Squamish River, Capilano River, Stave River, Chehalis River.

For trout (cutthroat trout, dolly varden, bull trout and the odd rainbow trout), you want to try out the Fraser River and its small tributaries that between Surrey and Hope. A browse through a map of this area and Region 2 of BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis would show you that there are at least a dozen rivers in this area that you can choose from.

I'll leave the flyfishing advice to others as they are much more experiened than me. :)

Jaggers

Re: Planning a trip to BC
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Rodney!

I am really looking forward to the trip out.  I was acutally out there for the first time in October, had a float trip booked for the Squamish but it was cancelled due to high waters....oh well, thats the way it goes sometimes.  I look forward to some advice others have to give, narrow my quest down a bit I guess. 

What techniques: Spey, single hand, swing, bottom bounce yarn etc would be best bet.  Or, I guess what patterns or colours to use?  I would love to get out for some steelies but there are quite a few other species that you have there that we don't here.

Thanks again Rodney.

Josh