Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter trout flies  (Read 6422 times)

Bead Head

Winter trout flies
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:25:38 AM »

Just a couple of questions regarding winter fly fishing... I just started fishing this summer and I really enjoyed fly fishing for trout I found I had good results fishing various Adams flies and bead headed nymphs. My question is what would the trout be eating during the winter? Should I continue to use nymphs or will I have better luck using something else. Also will trout be found in the same sort of water during the winter as in the summer? ???
Thanks

Stone

Re: Winter trout flies
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:30:04 PM »

Depends where you're fishing.  But nymphs, leeches, and invertebrates are available to trout to feed on all year.

Bead Head

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:42:03 AM »

I was thinking the upper Squamish. I was there on Friday and found some really nice spots but I didn't get any action but I did see another fishermen haul out three nice trout or char I was to far away to tell from a section I had previously tried. Should I be using a float line or should I add a sink tip to get the fly to the bottum? Also should my flies such as leeches be on the smaller side?
thanks

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:49:25 AM »

You can try shrimp pattern.

Bead Head

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:28:27 AM »

Like a Squamish poacher or would that be too big?

Acute Angler

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 03:32:04 PM »

The Squamish Poacher is more of a Steelhead pattern but a big Bull trout (char) would probably hit it.  For bulls your want your leech/minnow patterns BIG.  I don't know if rainbows/cutties will take the big flys but I've caught a few in the slower water with egg patterns and weighted nymphs - big stoneflys especially. 

Be prepared to lose a lot of flys and cover a lot of water to find the schools.
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.