Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far can you cast?  (Read 13149 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: How far can you cast?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 12:32:03 PM »

Looks like RIO it is then. Thanks guys.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 01:15:58 PM »

I am with Mojo on this one. I dont need to cast 100ft either. The small flows I normally fish I dont need to cast more than 40feet since its never more than 40 feet across the river. Well except for the Stave, but even on the Stave I wouldnt need to cast more than 40 feet. With a decent line I can consistantly cast 60-70 feet if I want to. I dont think I have ever casted more than 80 feet.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:19 PM »

I find I rarely need to cast more than bout 40 ft.....I fish mostly out of a toon so any further I kin move closer.....that bein' said I have tossed out mebbe 65-70 ft on a fluke cast with a freak wind at my back.... ;D ;D ;D

mojo don' need no steeken 100 ft casts thats for those who need to prove something....hehehe

It depends on the situation you are encountering. I think having competant casting skills will allow an angler to fish in a variety of environments for a variety of foray species ::)  For example, a crystal clear lake with vast marl shoals where fly educated monster trout cruise will usually require a long cast of 50-80ft to avoid being detected by the trout. Learning the proper casting techniques will allow an angler to achieve greater distances easier. These techniques include timing, double hauling and line management.

This trout was taken with a 80ft cast on a tiny scud in a crystal clear lake ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:42:24 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 12:16:54 AM »

Most times i dont care how far i cast, there are times you dont need to.

Then there are the other times when a brute bow is cruising the shallows but your out of range, the fish does not see you. and a well placed fly may grab his attention, big trout will see you if your too close, the flyline splashing the water.

Distance is not everything.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Stone

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 05:44:49 AM »

Carlo:  Like I said in a previous post...looks like you're a pretty darn good flyfisherman.  You've got nothing to prove to these guys.  ;D

Flyfisherman: Ablsolutely right.  Distance is not everything.  In fact, I find that my hook-up/landing ratio declines the further out I hook the fish.  40-50' is the ideal distance that I like to work most situations...but there are certain rare occassions that you have to bomb out the 80-90' casts.

Fishingbum

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 08:33:09 PM »

How far do I cast, not as far as I did 20 years ago. But an angler that can throw a fly in excess of 100 feet  has learned to let the rod and line do the work for them. Do they need to throw that far, no for most situations but the ability to throw a long line lets older  fisherman fish all day every day through an entire Coho season without fatigue and most importantly pain. Learn to throw the long line when you are young that way when you retire and arthritis sets in you will still be able to be out there all day every day.

Tight lines

Ian
Ian S

Bone Cross

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »

Went out for a few casts in my field. My best cast measured 97ft! I'm happy with that. I'm with eddie99 on this one. The majority of the time a cast like that isn't needed. But there is always a place and time for things like that.
from a Redneck point of View!

Stone

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 09:10:13 PM »

It's always harder in real fishing conditions.  Great to practice on the lawn, but 100' on the grass doesn't always translate to 100' on the water.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 04:35:14 PM »

Casting far when you wading deep is relatively difficult. As soon as you cast from any postition your line starts to fall. Reduce your height relative to the surface and your maximum distance suffers. Two things can help. Most important is line speed. A faster rod and good form on your double haul will speed things up. If you typically go up a line weight or two return to the rated line for the rod or even go one down. That way the rod will bend less into the mid and butt sections and will unload quicker. Last raise your arm a bit - not too much make sure you are still comfortable. Finally recognize the limitations of the position you've put yourself. If you could still reach the spot you want to hit when only up to your waist or knees, perhaps you've gone too deep.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »

Right now im running airflow and love it.
weeeeeeeeeow!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 11:28:49 PM »

If distance is your thing there are a few carny tricks you can pull. #1 go to a silk line the thin flat profile cutts through the air like nothing else. #2 change the collector eyelit on your rod. Go with one with an inside diameter of 1 to 11/2 inches. A large diameter collector will increase your line speed. #3 to further increase your line speed treat the eyelits of your rod with a silicon based lubricant. #4 go with a top quality high tec. fast action rod.  That's if distance is what you are after. If fish are what you are after concentrate on form and accuracy.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

CDone

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 10:40:59 AM »

How far can I cast?

About 5 feet short of where the fish are  :-\

Colin

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 01:10:09 PM »

Doesnt that always seem to be the case beach fishing :P

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 03:29:01 PM »

Here's a beach fishing trick I got from Dwane Morris. Take a step ladder wade out then place your ladder then climb up the ladder to where you can cast better. Dwane told me this trick is applied quite often in the southern US.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"