Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How far can you cast?  (Read 13150 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
How far can you cast?
« on: December 11, 2005, 07:32:55 AM »

Have you checked out this month's photo on the front page? :) Chrome Mykiss displays his casting skill. Photos always exaggerate... ;)

So how far can you cast?

Stone

Re: How far can you cast?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:55:47 AM »

Carlo looks like a good flyfisherman, and that's a nice cast he's got going in that pic.

More specifically, you'll have to include the rod's line weight and what type of flyline being used when you ask how far someone can cast...and I ain't about to brag.  ;) ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:42:46 AM »

The photographer should also be credited for the above photo as casting shots are very difficult to capture. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:56:25 PM »

Have you checked out this month's photo on the front page? :) Chrome Mykiss displays his casting skill. Photos always exaggerate... ;)

So how far can you cast?

Amazing what you can do with Photoshop right Rodney ? ;)

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:13:27 PM »

The rod he used that day is a loop blue line 6/7wt switch rod.. and the line is a Rio Outbound.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 06:23:01 PM »

Speaking of fly line. Do you like RIO or Airoflo better? for multi tip that is....

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 09:34:35 PM »

I have use both Airflo and Rio.. I like them both.  Airflo got the best warrenty (5 years)and the line shoot really well... On the other hand, Rio makes the best connector system and you hardly feel anything when they go though the guides. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »

Hmmm, casting wise sounds like you like Airflo better?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 10:24:53 PM »

Well. i got many lines at home and i like them all... But for multi-tip, i would go for Rio...

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 10:39:21 PM »

The rod he used that day is a loop blue line 6/7wt switch rod.. and the line is a Rio Outbound.

LMAO that doesn't count then. i was casting 100ft with a 5wt and a Rio outbound. However with my 5wt and a Rio Mainstream 6wt floating line i can cast so that the backing is at the first guide. ;D pretty good for a youngin' though

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 11:43:08 PM »

[with my 5wt and a Rio Mainstream 6wt floating line i can cast so that the backing is at the first guide. [/quote]

But is your fly perfectly turn over??

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »

Thank you SK

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 06:21:58 AM »

I find I rarly need to cast more than bout 40 ft.....I fish mostly out of a toon so any further I kin move closer.....that bein' said I have tossed out mebbe 65-70 ft on a fluke cast with a freak wind at my back.... ;D ;D ;D

mojo don' need no steeken 100 ft casts thats for those who need to prove something....hehehe
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 11:51:59 AM »

40 ft give or take on floating line.

Sinking tips 33ft
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:53:41 AM by BwiBwi »

Stone

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 12:27:36 PM »

Speaking of fly line. Do you like RIO or Airoflo better? for multi tip that is....

I have several RIO Versitips in the single hand and spey versions, and one Airflo Multitip in a WF6.  I like the RIO waaay better than the Airflo any day.  Several reasons why: 1) RIO's tips are 15' long compared to Airflo's 12'.  2) RIO provides 5 tips including a Type VIII for WF7 and up, while Airflo only provides 4.  3) RIO has a nicer taper profile on the belly and running line than Airflo, which I find too fat for my liking.  4) RIO's welded loop connectors are nicer (as already mentioned).  I find Airflo's loops a little tough to take apart when they've been put under pressure.  5) Even though Airflo has a nice 5 year no-crack warranty, I've never had an issue of having lines replaced due to cracking whether by Airflo, RIO, Cortland or Scientific Anglers.  If you deal with a good flyshop, they'll take care of you.

But when it comes to conventional lines (non-multitip), then there are some lines by Airflo that I really like.  I have a WF4F River and Stream that I love to use on my soft 4wt for chironomid fishing.  The Forty Plus line is a great distance line.  And I'm liking my new Delta Spey line that I just bought for my 7wt spey.  So Airflo does put out some good lines, I just don't like their multitips.

And the RIO Outbound is definitely a distance line with almost a shooting taper performance.  Easy to look like a hero with one of those.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 09:15:58 PM by Stone »