Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First time out...was NOT pretty....  (Read 5665 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
First time out...was NOT pretty....
« on: November 26, 2005, 04:00:24 PM »

wOw....i can see that this sport can be as humbling as golf now.....i thought i was pretty efficient at casting...could get it out there pretty good etc. So we go to a small lake up in surrey..140/100th..somewhere around there...( i drive up from the states and p/u my bud who lives in delta)....on this past friday...and it was cold, rainy and blowing....my bud didn't want to go but i finally talked him into it...after we HAD to stop at mike and bills and gonefishin so he could bother the staff at both....well i found out why wind sucks..i was trying to cast into it..and did not do very well...i did manage to catch something though...actually a few....my cheek once, damn that really smarts....and a bunch of grass bass...busted off a sheeit load of fly's...i was very aggravated and didn't want to quit..but it just sucked out there and i finally relented...(ok, my buddy promised to teach me to tie flys if we left, so i did)....

i'm ok in the 20 yard range or so..but i couldn't get nothing out there at all...wind just kept blowing it back at me....very aggravated..but then that makes me want to do it even more...and after we left, i did learn to tie...tied four doc. sprats..something or others...i think they look really cool...though i'm told my proportions are not exact...F*** that, some bugs have bigger heads then others.. ;D ;)...i love winding that line on...much to my "teachers" schgrin....

So....i went out with visions of grandeur and got a good smack of reality...oh well...doesn't really matter as i'm getting sucked into the whirlpool of insanity that is fly fishing!!!...got a time set up for this weds. to meet up with a master flycaster instructor, who's gonna help get me on the right path...was given a book called " Gilly" to read and am browsing the shops for a decent vise... ::)

Stone

Re: First time out...was NOT pretty....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 06:00:45 PM »

I guess you went to Green Timbers to fish?  ;D

Welcome to the madness.  Be patient...your skills will come with time.  Enjoy the process.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 06:32:39 PM »

The Gilly is a good read but I think it will be a tad over your head at this point. A copy of Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes  by Jack Shaw is a better starter also (if you can find a copy) A Primer of Fly Fishing by Haigh-Brown. Some casting instruction (by someone who knows how to cast properly) be miles of help to you.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »

The Gilly is a good read but I think it will be a tad over your head at this point. A copy of Fly Fishing The Trout Lakes  by Jack Shaw is a better starter also (if you can find a copy) A Primer of Fly Fishing by Haigh-Brown. Some casting instruction (by someone who knows how to cast properly) be miles of help to you.

so i was told :-[ :'( but i am going up this weds. to take some...

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:50:37 PM »

The gilly is a great book..alf davy and steve carter (the guy who did the illustrations) were both teachers of mine.  Why would you consider it too advanced? It was the first book on flyfishing i read when i was around 14 or so and taught me much of what I've brought to my flyfishing...

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:50:02 PM »

The Gilly was also my first book when I first got started, gave me a good insight to entomology and stillwater fishing.
It was over my head when I first read it, but HOOKED me into flyfishing! I should read it again, it's been many years since I first read it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles