Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new sinktip  (Read 6225 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
new sinktip
« on: November 25, 2005, 11:26:38 PM »

Im looking for a sink tip for fishing rivers, streamers etc.  Im likely to hit the Squamish sometime for dollies.  Any pointers as to sink rate and tip length? 

Stone

Re: new sinktip
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 06:01:21 PM »

Any budget...and for what weight flyrod are you talking about?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 06:53:27 PM »

Its for a six weight and Im looking to spend less than $55

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »

well you can get a rio density compensated sinktip for $75. I'd go with a 7ft type 3.

Stone

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 07:45:24 PM »

Its for a six weight and Im looking to spend less than $55

With a $55 cap, I would be tempted to just buy an inexpensive sinking-tip like a Dragonfly or Sedge (under $30) and then save up for a good multi-tip later.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 09:28:16 PM »

If you already have a floating line... here is an inexpensive way to change your line into sink tip -  poly leader. i know the poly leader might not sink as good as the actual tip, but it get the job done.  Just put a loop to loop connector on the tip of your floating line and simply loop the poly leader on, it become a  "sinking tip."  After that, all you need is couple feet of tippet and a fly to catch a big one. The reason i like to use poly leader is, i can change the length, sink rate fast and cheap also, i don't have to waste my floating line by cutting a section off to compensate the weight of your line speically the spey line.

Stone

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 08:33:40 PM »

If you already have a floating line... here is an inexpensive way to change your line into sink tip -  poly leader. i know the poly leader might not sink as good as the actual tip, but it get the job done.  Just put a loop to loop connector on the tip of your floating line and simply loop the poly leader on, it become a  "sinking tip."  After that, all you need is couple feet of tippet and a fly to catch a big one. The reason i like to use poly leader is, i can change the length, sink rate fast and cheap also, i don't have to waste my floating line by cutting a section off to compensate the weight of your line speically the spey line.

That's a good idea...