Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to tie my own flies.... NOv. 4/05  (Read 9998 times)

nigglesworth

I want to tie my own flies.... NOv. 4/05
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »

I want to start making my own flies, how much do you need to get a basic set up?  I don't need anything flashy, but would like to give it a try and am open to suggestions.  Also,any tips on decent books would be great!

thanks!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: I want to tie my own flies.... NOv. 4/05
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:52:05 PM »

I recommend taking a course through a tackle shop. You can usually purchase the materials at a discount.

nigglesworth

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:55:12 PM »

k, thanks....

I'm stubborn and broke....   so i end up being a bit of a do it your self guy...

The glamorous life in the arts?!

But I will look into it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:59:51 PM »

Go to your flyshop and buy the basic tools and a decent low-end vise(Dragonfly is putting out a nice starter vise for $20). Couple of bobbins (make sure you get ceramic ones), pair of good small, sharp point scissors, a pair of 5" scissors(don't have to be expensive one and get them anywhere), one spool each of #8 and #6 tying thread in black, lt. olive, dk. olive, maroon, tan and one of red. Also a couple of spools of acetate floss, black, maroon, lime green. Flashabou in silver to start. Find an old 12V relay, smash it open and get the coil out of it, beautiful thin copper wire for ribs. Olive, black and white ostrich herl. Peacock herl. Pheasant tail. Go to bigger craft stores and get macrame` yarn and pure nylon "plastic canvas yarn" in bug colours and other body colours. White and black plastic seed beads, too.
Do not get desperate enough to buy a "starter kit", some of the stuff you just won't use.
Oh yeah, cheap nail polish, clear, black, red, olive. Should get it at liquidation places or dollar stores for a buck a bottle. There are lots of books availiable on the topic of fly tying availiable at your local library. Or you could drop by a flytying night, I believe reaction bait and tackle has a weekly drop in night.
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:04:18 PM »

Alternatively attend one of the free flytying nights in your area:

http://forum.fishbc.com/

Scroll down to the bottom

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:39:06 PM »

And remember to start off tying a simple pattern like the Wooly Bugger. This is a fly that most beginning fly tyers will start out tying.  It is a simple fly but it can be very effective. As your confidence and skill grows then tackle the more difficult patterns. However, if you stick with it, it can be a very satisfying hobby as you catch a fish on one of your own creations.

sliverbullet

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 09:38:29 AM »

my first fly was a pheasent tail nymph  :P

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 10:53:53 AM »

I got my buddy started fly tying with a fly tying kit from Walmart, can't remember the name but it they are good ones. The price was right under $50. and because these kits are made in BC you done get a bunch of supplies that are no use to you (the main problem with premade fly tying kits). As for tying try borrowing vidieos from the library, or get a freind to coach you. If you can get you hands on some of Rowley's dvds (a good christmas request) your really cooking. The hardest part is tying those first few flies (this is where the hands on help realy shortens the learning curve) after that it's just practice, practice, practice.

As for supplies, check ou the sowing stores, craft stores, and taxidermists before hitting the fly shop.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

No_way

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 11:22:30 AM »

I would suggest buying a kit.  While biffchans list of materials is impeccable, if you don't know what this stuff looks like you could spend 3 hours picking all of that stuff out.  If you buy anything outside the kit for your first time make it the scissors.  A kit won't cost that much and it will give you a bunch of stuff that you can play with.  If your like I was when I started you just want to get started, and once you do you won't stop!

For books, get a stack from the library.  From that you'll be able to start, and then you'll know what kind of book you need when you go to the store. 

Tips: -focus on technique (you can't learn Hendrix before you can tune a guitar)
        - watch proportion, proportion, proportion, and remember the importance of proportion
        -find an easy nymph pattern, and easy dry fly pattern, and a woolly bugger pattern, and practice those till you can
          do them in your sleep
        - Expand your ability one skill at a time, spinning dear hair then standing wings etc. (not in that order, you pick)
        -It can all be done, and done by you with practice.  You will get frustrated; but when you do, get up an take a break.
         Just like learning music, if you're not calm it just isn't going to work.

I guess that's it for now.  Oh, and your first flies are likely to be disappointing.  So what? You can tie a thousand more!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »

I agree with noway. As for those first flies don't worry about it, the fish aren't looking for perfection. As long as your flies catch fish that's all that matters. Later when you want to sell your flies looks will be everything.

nigglesworth

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 01:23:23 PM »

Thanks for all the great info....   I have more than enough to get going.  I can't wait to start!!!  And yes, I am prepared to make many ugly flies in the begining....   but hey, those little ugly ducklings will contain all my learning and mistakes.  A beautiful thing in itself!

Will any old vise do, or do I need to invest in a half decent one?

No_way

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »

Thanks for all the great info....   I have more than enough to get going.  I can't wait to start!!!  And yes, I am prepared to make many ugly flies in the begining....   but hey, those little ugly ducklings will contain all my learning and mistakes.  A beautiful thing in itself!

Will any old vise do, or do I need to invest in a half decent one?

It's good to have a good vice.  If you get a kit, open up the kit and check out the vice.  Most places have a number of kits.  Just for starting out I don't think you should get a million dollar vice, but it does need to work.  My philosophy on vices is "it either holds the hook or it don't".  Really bad ones don't, and only a few (and I mean just a few) dollars more will get you one that does.  If the one in the kit is total junk, then get one separate.  They come in a large variety, get one you like, but every dollar you don't spend on a vice you can spend on materials  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »

Oh and don't be dissapointed with a fly you tied not catching fish. It may just be that the fish is not in biting mood.  ;)

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 08:53:09 PM »

I just started tying and I bought a couple of kits off ebay.  You never know what you get but the price can be quite good have missed a couple of great deals on ebay . One was a older gent that quite tying due to arthritis.  His whole collection with a dynaking rotary vice went for 3 hundred us missed by one bid.  Retail cost of goods well over a grand US.  Just another place to look.  Check out your local fly shop and ask questions.  Theylove to help you.  As  talking to you is better than stocking shelves. 

I would get a good knock-off vice to starts most kits vice are real cheap.  Also buying someone else kit you may have up grade parts as in better bobbin holders and vice.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 09:07:24 PM »

The AA vice was the standard for years. Funtional without a lot of extra parts to break or wear out. you should be able to get one for under $25. Heres a trick that will save you $100. or more; when you need to attach stuff to the bottom of your fly take it out of the vice and turn it over. If you can do that you have just eliminated the need for a rotary vice.