Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Youth World Fly Fishing Championship  (Read 10598 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Youth World Fly Fishing Championship
« on: September 19, 2005, 10:43:15 PM »

Fly Fishing Canada is seeking applications from young fly anglers age 14 to 18 who are interested in competing as a member of Team Canada in the next Youth World Fly Fishing Championship, to be held in Portugal September 2006. This time around the Youth World Fly Fishing Championship will be part of the first World Sport Fishing Games to be held every four years by the General Association of International Sports Federation, the ruling body for all international sport federations. Although not fully appreciated locally, being chosen and competing in this international championship brings with it the respect and international recognition given all Olympic athletes. Participants compete for team gold, silver, and bronze medals as well as similar medals for the top three anglers. Having had the honor of coordination youth fly fishing championships and mentoring one time Team Canada member Mike Morris, I encourage you to make your application for this life changing event today.

Direct enquires and applications to:

Jack Simpson
Executive Director, Fly Fishing Canada
173 Sydenham Street
Cogbourg ON, K9A 2S2
Phone: (905)-377-8795
Email: flyfishingcanada@cogeco.ca

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Youth World Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:15:59 PM »

It is a wonderful opportunity and I speak from the experince of seeing what it does for a kid who make the team.  Back when I was coordinating the Terry Fox Fly Fishing Club I Had all our members file an application for the second World Youth Championship which was held in Ireland. That year our club member Mike Morris made the six member team along with Kevin Myer of Surrey.

Along with the opportunity of represnting BC/Canada, they were presented with Sage rod, Ilander reels, 3M fly lines, casting lessons from the Maxwells, and a weekend of coach from Brain Chan. And that was all before they left the province. If you are of age or know someone who is, GO FOR IT!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

IamCanadian

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 05:52:33 PM »

Is there like a tryout for this team, or do they just pick the members randomnly?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »

It is a wonderful opportunity and I speak from the experince of seeing what it does for a kid who make the team.  Back when I was coordinating the Terry Fox Fly Fishing Club I Had all our members file an application for the second World Youth Championship which was held in Ireland. That year our club member Mike Morris made the six member team along with Kevin Myer of Surrey.

Along with the opportunity of represnting BC/Canada, they were presented with Sage rod, Ilander reels, 3M fly lines, casting lessons from the Maxwells, and a weekend of coach from Brain Chan. And that was all before they left the province. If you are of age or know someone who is, GO FOR IT!

What did you leave TFS for?!!!! Theres no club there anymore. i tried hassling Mr. Parker who fishes but to no success.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 10:43:19 PM »

I got promoted. Better job, better our, better pay.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »

Sould have been better hours, (falling asleep at the keys). You could try reminding Parker that he was the one who started the Terry Fox Fly Fishers club, I took over when he went to Alberta for two years. Take a walk over the Arch Bishop Carney and talk to Reg Cichos, I am sure if you mention I sent you they would welcome you into their club. By the way there IH8XC do you have any asperations as to outdoor writing, my freinds in The Outdoor Writers of Canada are offering mentorships for young writers.

salmon assasin

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:44:45 AM »

By application do they mean like a resume type thing or a video of you casting/ catching fish ect.
??

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »

It use to be your sportfishing profile but that was awhile ago, so I suggest you contact Fly Fishing Canada and ask.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »

hmmmm
weeeeeeeeeow!

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 06:03:23 PM »

Not gonna happen Roe Kid....

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »

my asperations are slightly more towards the science end of the schooling system. I want to be a Metalergical engineer with a specialty in carbon (graphite)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »

my asperations are slightly more towards the science end of the schooling system. I want to be a Metalergical engineer with a specialty in carbon (graphite)

pssst.  Carbon isn't a metal ;)