Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1343705 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2505 on: November 18, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2506 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »

They are making this statement, when the results of your friend Riddell's study is not even out yet. Typical government way of doing things. I guess we know the results of the study before it is done or released. I guess more of our taxpayers money wasted.

We will continue on until you and others see the light, I hope it is not to late. ::) :'( :o

LOL!
So, because this Bill didn’t pass as you’d hoped, the ongoing science by Riddell, Miller-Saunders, et al, is a waste money?  Wasn’t it you and Almo who pushed for this stuff?
What was a waste of resources was a poorly conceived Bill by a publicity seeking MP that would have nothing for wild salmon but would have put several thousand people out of work and disrupted the economies of more than few coastal communities.
Fwiw, Riddell is not my friend; doubt if he even remembers me.  He was my Section Head for a while and left a senior science position with DFO so he would not be caught up in the bureauocracy that is Ottawa.  He has huge respect worldwide, and Pacific salmon are better off for it.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2507 on: November 18, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »

And this is the result, as expected ;)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/ePetitions/Responses/421/e-270/421-00589_DFO_E.pdf
After reading this, I was wondering who is "Mrs. Jordan" that submitted this?

I did a quick Google search and it looks like she is a member of the DFO Standing Committee.

Here's a link on the latest committee meeting regarding east coast fisheries (for Novabonker).
http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2016/parl/xc51-1/XC51-1-2-421-26-eng.pdf

Interesting that one of the guests to the meeting didn't like the fact cod were making a recovery in Newfoundland because it will have an effect on the more profitable shrimp fishery.

Not really relevant to the discussion here but I thought some insight into the government process would be interesting.

It looks like our expert MP on fisheries had nothing to say in the meeting other than to correct a sexist offender at the end.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2508 on: November 18, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »

They are making this statement, when the results of your friend Riddell's study is not even out yet. Typical government way of doing things. I guess we know the results of the study before it is done or released. I guess more of our taxpayers money wasted.

We will continue on until you and others see the light, I hope it is not to late. ::) :'( :o

Funny you mention that because it seems like Fin is saying some stuff that isn't known either.  That's why we have projects like the one Riddell and Miller are involved in - not some useless boating adventure made for propaganda rather than science.  Actually, Fin's speech has a lot of misinformation, speculation and exaggeration.....and even some cherry picking. What are these diseases that are out of control?  Nevers mentions the secondary spin off employment generated from the industry. Never mentions that Fraser Sockeye survival between 2009 and 2014 was close to normal while salmon farms were still operating - instead he talks about 2009 then jumps to 2016.  He talks about the Cohen Report as a condemnation of salmon farming, but that's not what it was about. However, if nobody actually reads the report and instead defaults to filtered sources for that information then is that's what they are going to believe. Obviously, facts don't seem to matter to some people. Making stuff up has become normalize. The recent presidential campaign by Trump is good evidence of that. There's ways to protect yourself from sources like Fin or though. Don't let the title fool you - its the point of the article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-could-replace-president-trump-with-little_us_5829f25fe4b02b1f5257a6b7

He's basically saying that if BC salmon farms are removed then wild salmon will come back in plentiful quantities. That's irresponsible and misleads the public in believing that these issues are so simple. Like Morton - just another snake oil salesperson.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2509 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »

if BC salmon farms are removed then wild salmon will come back in plentiful quantities
There's no science that says that won't happen.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2510 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »

Well then, please provide us with some science that says it would,,, that may float my anti-salmonfarming boat again. LOL :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:13:48 PM by Fisherbob »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2512 on: November 18, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2016/11/response-to-marine-harvest-slapp.html
I wonder how much money Morton has cost taxpayers with her law suits and court costs, not to mention the 26M Cohen debacle she basically instigated.
I guess the good news is she's making tons of money for Canadian juridical people, and keeping Chris mentally active :D

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2513 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »

Like Morton - just another snake oil salesperson.

And salmon feedlotters are known to only spout gospel...... ;D ;D ;D ;)
http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2514 on: November 18, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »

And salmon feedlotters are known to only spout gospel...... ;D ;D ;D ;)
I suppose Dave had FF salmon for lunch today. ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2515 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »

I suppose Dave had FF salmon for lunch today. ;D
Nope, Jolly Miller pizza and a beer.  Thanks Nova :D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2516 on: November 18, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »

Like Bob suggests I could come right back at you and ask you for proof that removing all net pen aquaculture will bring back wild salmon in droves. I believe there's some onus on the snake oil salespeople like Fin to show this considering he is standing up in the House of Commons pronouncing this.  Fin is coming out saying that the science is clear on this, but that's Morton's interpretation which deviates from reality.

There's increasing evidence that suggests that these issues are not as cut and dried as some may believe. Why do we go from records low Fraser Sockeye returns in 2009 and 2016 to a historical record return in 2010 and near average survival in between? Amongst poor returning Fraser Sockeye CUs there are some that return greater than brood. When some Pacific salmon species do poorly others return in exceptional numbers (i.e. Chum this season and Pink in other years) - why? Interior Fraser Coho numbers are looking better this year. Meanwhile, in the marine environment, we had this warm water blob that has existed off our coast since 2013 which we still do not know how or if this had any impact, especially when you have the inconsistencies I just mentioned. You then have a freshwater environment where juvenile salmonid assessment concentrates on certain areas intensively, but there's a big void in other areas where we really cannot say how many juveniles are outmigrating to the ocean.  Additionally, during the Cohen Inquiry, it was shown that Sockeye survival in other adjacent areas to BC had done relatively poorly also - not just isolated to the Fraser.

As we get closer to aquaculture, critics that blame PRV for HSMI ignore evidence that not only shows that salmon injected with the virus do not develop HSMI, but that PRV likely existed here before salmon began here - with a distribution that extends from Alaska to Washington State. We know for a fact that PRV is found in asymptotic farmed and wild salmon. Of course, Morton still cannot prove that those transferred Marine Harvest fish that allegedly had PRV were indeed diseased.

Of course, Fin never considered any of this and instead decided to do his own narrative of the situation.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2518 on: November 24, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »

I have a question...

Do the fish farm companies pay leases to First Nations groups in order to put their farms on native land (water)?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2519 on: November 24, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »

According to Bob's article, compensation, if not lease money.
Sure sounds like a win-win for all.

“As a result, today we have a mutually respectful relationship with Grieg where we’ve got each other’s backs,” he said. “We receive signing bonuses for new farms, rental for the site when there are fish in the water and a percentage reimbursement per kilo for the fish.” His tribe uses its compensation from the company towards student education and building a new community in Campbell River. - See more at: http://advocate.gaalliance.org/in-canada-salmon-farmers-building-social-license-with-first-nations/#sthash.tCV0X70p.dpuf