Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hockey (WHO DO YOU GUYS PLAY FOR)  (Read 10356 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: hockey (WHO DO YOU GUYS PLAY FOR)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

Only played pickup hockey after I stopped speed skating with the national team. I could out skate anyone on the ice until I got the puck.

YOU were a speed skater for Canadas national team!!?  :o wow

Yup and you guys that play rep think that you have no life. At least your school is at your local high school. Mine was all over the country either in a board room of a hotel or in some strange school ( if I was in that town for 2 or more weeks). I would go to my school for two days to get home work then jump on a plane and be gone for a week or more. When I was home I had to train for 1 to 2 hours before school and 2 to 3 hours after school. My training schedule was 9 days on and 1 day off. If the month had 31 days I got 2 days off in a row at the end of the month.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 07:42:55 AM »

Birdman, are you saying Practice 6 days a week or playing games 6 times a week?  Cause if you guys are playing 6 games a week, well.....  that is in my humble opinion, just to much. ???

When I played, we practiced as a team 4 times a week, but the keeners would be doing hockey of some sort 6-7 days a week.  Whether it was street, ball or pick up games.  Usually only had a couple GAMES per week.  That was until we hit 16-17 year olds, then it was up to 3-4, not including tournements.  Mind you this was manitoba, where unless you want to cross country ski, :P  you played hockey!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:37:08 AM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

PistolPete

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »

bbronswky2000 where did you play your minor hockey ?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »

Well If you the love then   practing lots  is ok. Right now I play 5 times a week and go to the gym 2-3 times.  My goal is to get a scholorship for hockey
weeeeeeeeeow!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »

I'd just rather have some time than spend 4-6 days a week playing hockey. I would say the average high school student, gr.9-10 gets about at least 1hr 30mins of homework each night and weekends. Add 6 days of hockey to that huge @$$ homework load and you get=no time. When your playing rep, whether it be B2 or AAA, your always travelling out for games. Where will you have time to do anything else other than hockey? To me, hockey 2-3 times a week is good enough. Then of course theres time for street hockey, fishing etc. etc.

Those are my reasons ;)

Oh and the flames and leafs suck ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 10:05:58 PM by Coho Cody »

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »

I played in the WHL but I am 30 years old now so I play a bit of pickup with some other ex-junior players.

Who did you play for in the WHL ?
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »

If there's any advice I can give you is pace yourself.  Take school, living life, family and God (not necessarily in that order) more seriously than sports.  Otherwise, the sport you love to play the most now, will most likely not be all that interesting when you get old.  I see a bunch of old timers coming to play drop-in with us and the story is almost always the same.  They played 24-7 all through highschool and college then hung it up.  They couldn't stand the thought of playing until now when they're almost too old to play.  They also missed out on a lot of good things along the way. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 07:30:11 PM »

That is exactly what happened with me and my sport. At the end I wanted nothing to do with it. In fact I still don't and have not even introduced it to my kids. It consumed so much of my life growing up that that was the only thing that I had time for. When my friends where hanging out I was working out or a sleep because I had an early training session in the morning that is if I was home and not traveling around the country living out of a suit case and going to school in a board room.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day