Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cant stand Tiger  (Read 6721 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Cant stand Tiger
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:10 PM »

Gotta tell ya, I hate it when Tiger wins.  Yes the guy is good, but no one walks on water.  It almost makes me barf every time I watch him.  The announcers cannot kiss his hiney enough.  I think they are in love with him.  And each time he has someone kicked out of the galery for clearing their throat or blinking it makes me want to go there to root against him. 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Cant stand Tiger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:25:59 PM »

Really, cause no one has done as much for Golf and dare I say Sports in general than him!!  ;D I love it when he wins.  Hope he sets all of the records and that he does it for our generation to see it.  No matter how you cut it, golf is one of the hardest sports to play. ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »

When it comes to Tiger.   I am not arguing that he is the best golfer to come along in a long time, perhaps the best golfer to ever play.  However, I'm a little old school when it comes to calling a golfer a better "athlete" than a hockey player or soccer player.  I've played collegiate soccer, semi-pro soccer, football, collegiate ski racing and just recently, hockey.  I also play golf.  In fact, I have played 36 holes-2 days in a row and the "athletic ability" one needs to be competitive in golf is no where near what is required for soccer, hockey or football. 

My claim was backed up a few years back when the summer olympics were held in Atlanta.  Doctors for the US Olympic committee measured the fitness, reflexes, and coordination of all the athletes.  The top scorers were soccer players.  The top team sport was the soccer team.  I understand golfing is not an olympic event, but I would venture to guess that betwen John  Daley and VJ, they would be barfing way before any other olympian. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »

I was talking to some more people today and their opinion (even though probably not true), is that Tiger only enters the tournaments he can win. 

Also, he's the one person in shape among a sea full of sponges.

Purely these arguments don't hold much water, but still a perception. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »

I was talking to some more people today and their opinion (even though probably not true), is that Tiger only enters the tournaments he can win. 

If that was truly the case you would have seen Woods at the Canadian Open with that field.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:52:12 AM »

doesn't pay enough. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »

Just heard on the radio today that Tiger has a history of playing in the minimum number of events each year required by the PGA. 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »

If that was truly the case you would have seen Woods at the Canadian Open with that field.
Only the tourney's he can win?  What about the 13 majors, do the majors not have all the best golfers in the world playing in them? ;D ;D

I guess all that might means is he can win any tournament. ;)

Yes, he enters slightly more that half the amount of tournaments as most other golfers....yet he always wins the money title. Hmmmm.....  could you imagine if he entered as many as everyone else.  He may just be giving the other golfers more of a chance to win.  He plays the big ones.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:27:53 PM by DMW »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »

most of the golfers nowadays are in top shape.

tiger is good because he started playing before he even entered grade school.  he was the one who made the sport accessable to the average joe and he alone, increased the purse for all the pga tourneys.  its because of him that many pro golfers can sustain a comfortable living not only for themselves, but also for their families.

tiger is also accredited for golf's popularity world wide....he opened doors for the many less fortunate and established and supported many charities.

i remember his first masters win and the ridicule he endured...now he dominates and controls the sport...good on him.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:17:56 AM »

I don't disagree with what he's done for golf.  He hasn't made it more accessible to the average joe.  That person has been golfing for years.  He has, however made it more visible and perhaps introduced more people to it because it may not have been covered in the media otherwise.  As far as being a far superior stud "athlete", I'd refer to my previous posts about the definition of athlete.  I'd put golf more in the catagory of poker, bowling, shuffleboard, pool and darts.  Somewhere between a hobby and a sport.  He is definitely the most dominent and able person among his peers. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:03:37 PM »

I don't disagree with what he's done for golf.  He hasn't made it more accessible to the average joe.  That person has been golfing for years.  He has, however made it more visible and perhaps introduced more people to it because it may not have been covered in the media otherwise.  As far as being a far superior stud "athlete", I'd refer to my previous posts about the definition of athlete.  I'd put golf more in the catagory of poker, bowling, shuffleboard, pool and darts.  Somewhere between a hobby and a sport.  He is definitely the most dominent and able person among his peers. 

This is where you are wrong. He is an athlete, any man that can dominate a sport such as golf is an amazing athlete. BTW whats your handicap??

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »

I don't think we're going to see the other's side here.  You think golf is a sport and you need to be an athlete to play and I think it is not.  I prefer to call hockey, soccer, football, rugby, boxing, lacrosse, hockey and basketball sports.   We have different definitions of what an athlete is.  My grandmother plays golf.  She consistently hits an 80 and plays from the white tees.  She weighs in at about maybe 110.  Myself, I play golf maybe 3 times a year to talk business with clients.  I have only played maybe 15 rounds in my life and hit maybe 10 buckets at the most.  Last time I played, July 7,  I shot an 89 on a par 3.  Mind you, I am not in any way saying golf is easy to master, but neither is poker, Madden or chess. 

Personally, I will stick to hockey, soccer and skiing until my body tells me it's time to play golf.     

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »

granted, golf may not be the most physical sport, but some of the most famous athletes would beg the differ....wayne gretzky, charles barkley, bo jackson, micheal jordon, gerry rice, and peyton manning have all been quoted saying that if they would have taken up golf (rather than their respective sports) they would have never gained the popularity that they boast today.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »

As an athlete, he is by the shape he's in...as for golf, well you don't have guys nicknamed "lumpy" who can't run a mile..but that said...I would have thought the bike racers would have been the top athletes??? They are basically running marathons every day when they are competing in races like the tour de france...Can't imagine soccer players being in better shape..unless you mean how good they are at falling down and faking it.. ;) Ok, just a "little" dig their..seriously though, tri athletes or bike racers would seem to be at the top of the list IMO

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »

As an athlete, he is by the shape he's in...as for golf, well you don't have guys nicknamed "lumpy" who can't run a mile..but that said...I would have thought the bike racers would have been the top athletes??? They are basically running marathons every day when they are competing in races like the tour de france...Can't imagine soccer players being in better shape..unless you mean how good they are at falling down and faking it.. ;) Ok, just a "little" dig their..seriously though, tri athletes or bike racers would seem to be at the top of the list IMO

I agree guys that bike, do triathalons, or Ironman are true athletes and in amazing shape and condition.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family