Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?  (Read 12396 times)

SkagitDreamer

Re: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

You're probably right about being ethically suspect; in fact, your proving it. I'm not gonna get into a pissin contest or internet tuff guy showdown of words with you, sorry - that's not only counter-productive but juvenile and... suspect. Troll someone else. Being new to the forum I had found your posts and information most helpful to those asking. You can have the last word coz I'm done on this subject - with you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:00:07 AM by SkagitDreamer »
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

VA7DDP

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »

My apologies but I am not used to the abbreviated terminology. What does BB stand for?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:16 AM »

My apologies but I am not used to the abbreviated terminology. What does BB stand for?

Bottom Bouncing

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:44 AM »

. I'm not gonna get into a pissin contest or internet tuff guy showdown of words with you, sorry -
I'm sorry for the rant. I don't want to get into a pissing contest with anyone either.

The issue has been burning hot in the run up to sockeye season for at least a decade  and a half now. The side that would like to see the flossing part of the Fraser fishery has had their say in forums like this one and before formal government inquiries like the Cohen Commission. There opinions and observations are noted but recommendations for the kind of changes they seek never find their way to a public report. Isn't it time to give it up?

As far ethics - I think every angler needs to keep in mind fishing is a blood sport. The pleasure we get out of it is at the expense of the fish and it doesn't matter how we try to 'pretty it up'.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SkagitDreamer

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »

I'm sorry, as well. Perhaps I sounded like some pompous purist. Truth is, I was raised as a bait-casting, fur n feather hunting guy who loves nothing more than harvesting my own table fare. Yes, I flossed many runs of sockeye and don't regret it. I refrain from dispensing the best spots to bb, to my own chagrin. For my own reasons, I fly fish now and my firearms are in disuse. In no way does that make me better. I'm constantly humbled by the knowledge of people like yourself, Ralph, and have a renewed respect for you. Thanks for that.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

George Gordon Byron

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »

I have heard some guys have cracked how to catch large numbers of chum down towards Richmond using small plugs on standard bar gear and fish on a strong running ebb tide to make the plug work.

I would sure like to know more about this method of catching Chums.  The location I will have to work on myself but how about some  information on the type/colour etc of the plugs?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

I think its less of the freshwater aspect and more to do with water clarity and where they are in the water column that makes fishing for biting Sockeye in the Fraser relatively unproductive.  There are viable fisheries in places like Osoyoos Lake, Lake Washington and Baker Lake trolling with Saltwater gear (flashers and hoochies).  Tough to do in the Lower Fraser because of visibility and river current issues.  I drove down the I-5 a few weeks ago and noticed people bar fishing with small spin and glos tipped with sandshrimp on the lower Skagit river (targeting Baker Lake Sockeye).  I think the reason why it can be done on the Skagit is because the sockeye travel closer to shore and closer to the bottom and also because the water is clearer. 

For the reasons that I've mentioned above, the upper and lower Fraser aren't really set up well for a consistent sockeye fishery (biting not flossing).

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »

I would sure like to know more about this method of catching Chums.  The location I will have to work on myself but how about some  information on the type/colour etc of the plugs?

Ok I heard that people were taking limits (4) of chum in late October/ November on the falling tide bar fishing Tomic #246  3 inch Plugs:

this was perhaps 10 or more years ago when Harrison and other chum came in in big number. I asked about this at Berry's and this was the plug they gave me. I haven't tried this as they numbers of late chum have dropped off quite a bit but they seem to be recovering now.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:53:16 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.