Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local lake, part 2  (Read 2365 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
local lake, part 2
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »

With my vacation time coming to an end soon, a break in the clouds was the only excuse I needed to head out in search of some trout action. Arrived at a local lake around 1 and proceeded to bait up with some shrimp, no sooner than my bait hit bottom and I was having bites. The takes were very soft and my reflexes a little slow, so it took me about six attempts at setting the hook before I was able to connect with one"a nice little hatchery fish around 12 inches". The bite was on and I caught three more all within 30 minutes of arriving at the lake. After that I packed it up and spent some time taking pictures of around the lake.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: local lake, part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »

Nice fish lucky

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

Nice little brutes :) looks tasty
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »

while cleaning the fish we inspected the stomachs to see what they were eating, there wasnt any insect life what so ever, in all the fish there were small twigs and pine needles, in one fish there was a small yellow corkie, and the last fish we cleaned had a cigarette butt in its belly :P. Not much food in this lake by the looks of things, that or the hatchery fish are too dumb to find good eats.

bcguy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »

Nice fish,  I spend all day there Sunday and didnt even get a nibble, havent tried shrimp there yet, apparently a good choice though!! They are definately down at the bottom though...tight lines
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:09:43 PM »

Nice trout!  Yummy panfriers!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nuggy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »

while cleaning the fish we inspected the stomachs to see what they were eating, there wasn't any insect life what so ever, in all the fish there were small twigs and pine needles, in one fish there was a small yellow corkie, and the last fish we cleaned had a cigarette butt in its belly :P. Not much food in this lake by the looks of things, that or the hatchery fish are too dumb to find good eats.

Thanks for the report Lucky. In winter I have found trout stomachs to contain a lot of debris like you were saying, when I looked closer the debris contained a whole bunch of very tiny snail like thingies in the debris. All the other trout we caught there had the same stomach contents, lots of debris and lots of these super small snails.

I know for sure the lake you were fishing has crayfish in it...I bet they would go crazy for something that looked similar to one of those little Mr. Pinchies ;D ;D

Cheers

Nuggy

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »

Nice fish !

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »

Nice Fish.
If thats the lake i think it is. You had an excellent day. Been skunked there more times than not.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »

its sasammat lake derrr :o
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

salmon_king

• fishing is the life for me
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »

went to sasamat today and caught two lovely trout so I was wondering what was in the fishes stomach to my surprise there were 5 corn kernels in the stomach

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »

Yep, that's Sasamat Lake. The light brown shoreline and the trees, it's a dead giveaway. Nice lookin' trout. Better lookin' than the ones at Deer Lake.