Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish killing mentality  (Read 14284 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Fish killing mentality
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 01:27:02 AM »

Your right Eddie i do have to allways add my 2 cents and here it is. . . this thread is tottaly dumb and a waste of rodneys bandwith. :P
[

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2006, 01:34:23 AM »

i guess if you can't fish the rivers, the best alternative is to go trolling on line. not to name names or point fingers  

you say why hoard the fish, if you have more than you need? others will ask you...you talk principle.  why then do you even catch them (and expose them to potential harm) only to release them?

weizen

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2006, 01:46:01 AM »

Weizen, why would he or his kids be embarrassed over a stance taken on a particular issue or are you refering to a comment(s) made earlier? Tight Lines, Winter Steel.

. . . this thread is tottaly dumb and a waste of rodneys bandwith. :P

That's why

darmin

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2006, 07:06:11 AM »

somebody needs to turn the channel ::)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »

Coho, chum, chinook, sockeye, pink all spawn once then die.  Because the run is not in jeopardy, why not take a small fish out of the gene pool.  I'd rather see a small one taken then a prize one. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2006, 07:54:26 AM »

Sorry Muddler, it looks like I just reiterated what you said.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2006, 08:15:39 AM »

Some of you people are just amazing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2006, 08:23:14 AM »

I am in my 30's but thats ok.

I teach my kids to respect their elders unlike other parents out there.

I hope they don't google your name when they're older and find this thread in some archives..........they'd probably be embarrassed.

Actually I am not embarrassed about anything I have said on here. I have always only stated my opinion and thats not to be ashamed of. They will see that their father stands up for what he believes in and their is nothing wrong with that.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Pat AV

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »

Jacks actually serve an important genetic purpose, they sneak a few genes into the pool from a different brood year to increase genetic diversity and as previously stated they are a "backup supply" of males just in case there is a shortage. Some will ask how a little jack would get a chance to spawn? They do it by drive by splooging: sneaking in a quick squirt while the dominant males are chasing off rivals or are otherwise distracted. That said I see absolutely nothing wrong with bonking a couple of hatchery jacks from the Ved.

As for the meat head mind set I can never judge because I was there. I have filled my freezer on many a year and had to start giving fish away to family to prevent freezer burn. I think the biggest factor for me was the glory of it all. There was nothing better than carrying a bunch of big Ho's or a chrome red around at the river while walking along the rotary trail to get back to the car. I always felt like a star and a great rod. Now I find myself in a different mind frame, I have retired from sockeye BBing and keep maybe 10 fish a year (Coho and Reds) enough for me to eat and my family can buy their own fish. That said I would never judge less experienced  anglers for  going through the phases that I did.

What I am getting at is yes I agree with Eddy that alot of guys are meat heads and I do find it frustrating. When some of my young protoge's that I taught how to fish and are now good rods in their own right call me to tell me about their full freezers I roll my eyes. But I never give them too much heck cuz I was there!

As long as you can eat what you bonk, and it is legal go for it. Some will advance to the next level of angling and some never will and that is fine and why DFO has to set limits.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2006, 08:40:30 AM »

Great post Pat AV

I was not judging one person in particular from this board and people need to understand that. I have said on many occasions throughout this thread it was used as an "EXAMPLE" Some of you take things to literal.

Pat AV's post sums it up beautifully

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »

"drive by splooging", classic.  Not to make light of it, you are correct.  My buddy went to bonk a jack once and got "splooged" in the eye and chin when he did it  :o (insert your own joke).    Needless to say, he's still catching crap from me. 

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »

Kellya, as a teacher of young adults by trade, I'm curious to hear your insights on when education is needed and at what point is respect given (open question to all young adults under the age of 17, sorry Gooey ;D). Does one receive respect out of what is said or actions done? You are absolutely right many young adults have much to contribute, but they also lack the discipline, at times, to cotrol their emotions and in turn that affects their thought process (a general comment). However, that changes with time for most. I'm not defending an opinion hear, but the initial topic/question  I thought was a valid one and worth reading. The sharing of opinions is a wonderful way of learning some insight on various topics, if you take it as preaching, so be it, if you feel ridiculed by what others say it is your right to respond or defend yourself, that is what forums are about.
    Weizen, why would he or his kids be embarrassed over a stance taken on a particular issue or are you refering to a comment(s) made earlier? Tight Lines, Winter Steel.
Educations key in fishing as it is in most things. Without the things i have learned in the last 9 years fishing i would be still be using a red white bobber with a worm. Im actually not against what eddie is saying just the way hes coming across always. I have only kept two fish this entire year a pink off a beach and a feeder chinook but thats just me. Its his choice to keep his fish no problem if he eats them all. Eddie you say it was an example dont take it literally but i dont agree. If i posted a thread on idiots and used you as an example you would probaly be mad and for good reason. No point in saying nothing on this forum affects your mood because your not a robot. Nothing wrong with voiceing your opinion its a good thing there are just different ways of doing it

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2006, 10:55:05 AM »

Kellya you said the way I come across. The only way I came across in a bad way is if you interpreted what I said in a bad way. Who posted a thread on idiots? I didn't. Some of you like to put words in my mouth. If you are going to quote me atleast have the decency to use direct quotes instead of making things up. I have not called anyone a name here, I have only expressed my opinion.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »

I am in my 30's but thats ok.

I teach my kids to respect their elders unlike other parents out there.

I hope they don't google your name when they're older and find this thread in some archives..........they'd probably be embarrassed.

Actually I am not embarrassed about anything I have said on here. I have always only stated my opinion and thats not to be ashamed of. They will see that their father stands up for what he believes in and their is nothing wrong with that.
Well then please dont make false assumptions on what my parents are teaching me. That is something to be ashamed of. I respect my elders, and think everyone should deserve some respect young or old.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:05:58 AM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2006, 11:06:27 AM »

Thread locked boys and gals. It's starting to become too personal. Best to communicate further via PM or email if you have something to say to a particular person. Thanks.