Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish killing mentality  (Read 14283 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Fish killing mentality
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 10:49:29 PM »

Now before posting a reply I encourage you to think before you type. I am not going to sit here and argue with a 13 year old kid.
He's not 13! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 10:54:14 PM »

I know this is a little off topic but BS change that brookback mountain pic. You are not that pretty to look at  ;) ;)  :D :D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 11:02:39 PM »

Fishin Addict those people I am referring to was not anyone here. You will see people on lakes killing every trout they can because it is legal. You will see people catch as much salmon as they are allowed to. I have personally known friends that have had enough fish in their freezer to feed two families and yet they kept killing fish. I have lectured them and lectured them but to them killing the fish is almost like a trophy more so than the joy of eating them. They can have friends over and say hey look what I caught the other day and show the fish they caught by pulling it out of the freezer. Thats what I was referring to.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 11:12:46 PM »

All right I'll wade into this "discussion". I don't have a problem with people keeping a hatchery jack providing it doesn't go to waste.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »

All mad? I am not mad in the least bit. Getting myself in a few predicaments? I am not in any that I know of. Who said I was the most honest person on the planet? I said " I pride myself on my honesty " I did not say planet. If you are going to quote me atleast get it right.

One thing I will say is please dont assume. The posts about people catching those small jacks did not get me mad. It got me thinking, but did not get me mad. It got me thinking and these were my thoughts on the "BIG PICTURE" not one or two small fishing reports.

Now before posting a reply I encourage you to think before you type. I am not going to sit here and argue with a 13 year old kid.

This will be my final post on this thread. If you amalgamate all of ed's inconsistancies in his posts, they are too much for me. No fresh chum can be caught up top at the stave...; I am 13; people are keeping 12 inch jacks...; your assumption that people who keep 30+ fish in their freezer waste some of them (because I know of many people who keep that many, and none go to waste); and your little hockey pool shenanigins, to name a few.  You are only hurting your own integrity. I am tired of arguing with a man in his 40s. Grow up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:24:51 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:06 PM »

I am in my 30's but thats ok.

I teach my kids to respect their elders unlike other parents out there.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 11:45:09 PM »

I find it interesting that no one has brought up the Gene Pool Issue. Now I am in no way for keeping ridiculous amounts of fish, however what is a 12" jack Coho supplying to the Gene pool of further generations? If you are interested in preserving healthy fish stocks in the future, then would it not be in your best interest to keep these jacks if legal? In my opinion, let the big coho go if you are interested in "conserving" our future fish stocks as these fish will truly produce the healthy large fish in the future.

just my .02

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 11:54:16 PM »

I find it interesting that no one has brought up the Gene Pool Issue. Now I am in no way for keeping ridiculous amounts of fish, however what is a 12" jack Coho supplying to the Gene pool of further generations? If you are interested in preserving healthy fish stocks in the future, then would it not be in your best interest to keep these jacks if legal? In my opinion, let the big coho go if you are interested in "conserving" our future fish stocks as these fish will truly produce the healthy large fish in the future.

just my .02

You are quite right and it was something I considered before posting this. If you are in it for the meat than a small fish is not going to provide you with much of a meal. If you already have a ton of fish why keep "any" fish than. Why not wait untill your stocks are low. Like I have stated earlier my initial post this was an "example"

I spoke to someone via PM about this and even said this very same thing. If someone had posted that they had 30 sockeye and than shortly after showed that they just killed a couple trout I would have used that as an example. Its the meat mentality that is the main focus point of this discussion. How much meat is too much. If you eat fish everyday than by all means keep as many within your legal limit. if you are killing fish and are going to waste it than you are doing the entire ecosystem an injustice.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

winter steel

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 12:17:09 AM »

Eddie, I can see your point in regrads to the thread, however I also remember being a younger fisherman much like The Roe Kid and should the opportunity to kill a fish or two present itself I remember taking it. However, as one gets older and wiser they appreciate the sport for more than just the fish and will find ways to challenge themselves such as catching a chinook or steelhead on the fly, spey fishing the Thompson/Dean, or getting coho to take a jig etc...
    Muddler, in regards to jacks breeding with adult females and ruining the gene pool: (from what I can recall in articles and past discussions) their offspring are no different then the offspring of two "full" sized adults. Jacks are predisposition ed and the immature males are natures insurance to ensure that enough males make it back to the spawning grounds. If you really want bigger and more fish, improve spawning habitat, ocean survival rates and feeding conditions and yes genetics plays a role, but please do not underestimate the impact the environment has on a fishes "genetic" make up. Its pretty difficult to get big and healthy without good food and a conducive environment for growth. Tight Lines, Winter Steel.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:40:32 AM by winter steel »

Grub

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 12:24:04 AM »

Why don't you hit up the gym and do some reps Eddie99 or go fishing,  instead of creating a childish thread such as this?  You say you are a father in your 30ies... act like it!

not cool enough for a banner

weizen

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2006, 12:28:30 AM »

Fishin Addict those people I am referring to was not anyone here. You will see people on lakes killing every trout they can because it is legal. You will see people catch as much salmon as they are allowed to. I have personally known friends that have had enough fish in their freezer to feed two families and yet they kept killing fish. I have lectured them and lectured them but to them killing the fish is almost like a trophy more so than the joy of eating them. They can have friends over and say hey look what I caught the other day and show the fish they caught by pulling it out of the freezer. Thats what I was referring to.

Who cares how many fish you have, or how much anyone brags to there friends about the fish they caught, or how many fish are in the freezer.  If I have 20 fish, or 100 fish, why do you care?  The bottom line comes down to this.

If it's not going to be wasted, WHO CARES!  If it's legal, and will be eaten, WHY DO WE CARE WHAT OTHERS DO?  I love to show others the fish I caught, who cares if I think it's  a trophy, even it its not.  The point is that if it won't be wasted, WHY DO OTHERS CARE?

If it was thrown in the freezer and then thrown out after 1/2/3 years of freezer burn, that's another story, but that's not what this thread is about.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:36:07 AM by weizen »

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2006, 12:36:47 AM »

Eddie hes right maybe your the one that should grow up. I find it offensive that you make age a big deal out of age. Yes were younger and may have not been fishing as long as you but no it does not mean your always right. Respects given when its deserved the way you are coming across is negative not educational. Some of us younger kids actually have some good info. To many people on these boards are getting the im above you attitude. Same thing every post slaging about something or other telling how they do it the right way. Education is great but only when its needed.....

weizen

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »

I hope they don't google your name when they're older and find this thread in some archives..........they'd probably be embarrassed.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006, 01:03:28 AM »

Eddie hes right maybe your the one that should grow up. I find it offensive that you make age a big deal out of age. Yes were younger and may have not been fishing as long as you but no it does not mean your always right. Respects given when its deserved the way you are coming across is negative not educational. Some of us younger kids actually have some good info. To many people on these boards are getting the im above you attitude. Same thing every post slaging about something or other telling how they do it the right way. Education is great but only when its needed.....

I am with you Kellya all the way, even I am relatively not a young guy.  ;D
Why not just leave these 'I am above u', 'I know more', 'Only my way & not yours', 'I am honest & you are suspect...' out of this forum. It just ruins forum unity and brotherhood of fellow fishermen. Have some respect for other fishermen, old and young, seasoned rods or newbies.  :)

winter steel

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »

Kellya, as a teacher of young adults by trade, I'm curious to hear your insights on when education is needed and at what point is respect given (open question to all young adults under the age of 17, sorry Gooey ;D). Does one receive respect out of what is said or actions done? You are absolutely right many young adults have much to contribute, but they also lack the discipline, at times, to cotrol their emotions and in turn that affects their thought process (a general comment). However, that changes with time for most. I'm not defending an opinion hear, but the initial topic/question  I thought was a valid one and worth reading. The sharing of opinions is a wonderful way of learning some insight on various topics, if you take it as preaching, so be it, if you feel ridiculed by what others say it is your right to respond or defend yourself, that is what forums are about.
    Weizen, why would he or his kids be embarrassed over a stance taken on a particular issue or are you refering to a comment(s) made earlier? Tight Lines, Winter Steel.