Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish killing mentality  (Read 14285 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: Fish killing mentality
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 09:26:26 PM »

Even those 12 inchers reproduce if they are let to.
,Ya you are right jacks are mature fish when they arrive back in the rivers and they do spawn if they get a chance.I have to agree with Eddie ,if a person has a fridge full of sockeye what is the need to kill the small jacks,I guess it comes down to personal choice,after all the hatcheries are there to be retained, as long as the fish are all eaten and not wasted,no problem.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 09:30:28 PM »

Yes thats exactly my point. The fish the hatchery release are their for people to catch also to provide nutrients to the river. If we let some go to reproduce we all win though as we will have more fish to play with in the future. I worry about fish getting wasted as those fish that get wasted could have either spawned or provided nutrients. I have no problem if someone takes a fish as long as it does not get wasted.Its those people with that bonk everything attitude. I have seen guys that as soon as that fish is to shore its bonk bonk bonk they dont think about letting a fish go almost like it was theirs when they hooked it. Some people I feel just need to be educated better and learn about the benefits of catching & releasing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 09:32:46 PM by eddie99 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 09:37:47 PM »

I would have kept both those fish for sure !!  so would 99% of people on this site

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:14 PM »

so now you have no problem with those fish being kept, as long as there not being wasted. Well did roe kid said he bonked them just got the fun of bonking a fish?? i belive he ate them tonight? i belive. so then why did you start this thread and get every one all rialed up.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »

so now you have no problem with those fish being kept, as long as there not being wasted. Well did roe kid said he bonked them just got the fun of bonking a fish?? i belive he ate them tonight? i belive. so then why did you start this thread and get every one all rialed up.

I never got anyone rialed up. If someone got rialed up they chose to get rialed up. Another person does not make another person have an emotion. The individual chooses their own emotion whatever it may be.

If someone has 30 sockeye in their freezer they do not need to kill 2 small fish. They choose to kill them and personally I wouldnt. Each person is entitled to their own opinion and this is my opinion. Thats whats great about these forums is you get to express yourself  ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 09:46:55 PM »

Yes there is a need for better education out there on more than one level,I'm pretty sure i know several fisherman that take the time to help out those that wish to learn but this is a very large task,there will allways be some people that don't care and will continue to dance to the beat of their own drum at any cost to the resource.Now I'm just speaking in general and not trying to rattle anyones cage but it does make me wonder how much waste there is going on out there, this is not just isolated to the sportfishing community.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »

FF who said I was talking about you? If the conversation between you and I get heated I wont be the one heated as I am very calm. I would never choose to let what you say affect my mood.

I know that on this forum I am kinda in a minority and dont have as many people backing me up. I find that kind of a challenge and I welcome it, especially to our younger anglers. If I can teach one kid something useful in one out of every 5 of my posts than I feel I have made a difference.

I try to preech? I am not trying to preech to anyone. I am just letting my opinion be heard. I have heard your opinion on here enough. Is my opinion not as valid on this forum as yours is?

Belong to the "4 F Club"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 10:02:50 PM »

I didnt take any of what Eddie was saying as preaching...just stating an opinion.  And IMO, hes right.  I kept a 16inch jack this year, but have no other fish in the freezer and it was eaten the same day....and it was gooood.

And hey, not to hijack the thread, but if youre killing fish because of the "method" youre using (fish inhaling roe) and not because you need them, maybe you should try a method less likely to end in that result, like throwing spoons or flyfishing?  I ONLY use bait when im out for the kill, because it does get inhaled so often.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 10:07:56 PM »

Fish inhaling roe,now that would make for a long discussion,lol ;) :)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 10:15:27 PM »

I think they should make like a politician and never admit to inhaling. Just only say that you tried it  ;D ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »

I didnt take any of what Eddie was saying as preaching...just stating an opinion.  And IMO, hes right.  I kept a 16inch jack this year, but have no other fish in the freezer and it was eaten the same day....and it was gooood.

And hey, not to hijack the thread, but if youre killing fish because of the "method" youre using (fish inhaling roe) and not because you need them, maybe you should try a method less likely to end in that result, like throwing spoons or flyfishing?  I ONLY use bait when im out for the kill, because it does get inhaled so often.
       Well im sorry marmot but most people will fish roe. Not every fish you catch will have the hook in its gut. And yes those coho were yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy. mmmm.

I never got anyone rialed up. If someone got rialed up they chose to get rialed up. Another person does not make another person have an emotion. The individual chooses their own emotion whatever it may be.

If someone has 30 sockeye in their freezer they do not need to kill 2 small fish. They choose to kill them and personally I wouldnt. Each person is entitled to their own opinion and this is my opinion. Thats whats great about these forums is you get to express yourself  ;D
Well then why start this huge disscussion. And please dont right false information, No one has kept a 12 inch jack. I believe freaks was wround the 15inch range. So before you go trying to stick your nose in and stirring the pot because others are catching fish and your not, atleast get the facts straight ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:23:00 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »

12 inches 15 inches it does not matter nor is it the point. A 1lb-1.5lb fish is barely a meal for one person.

If you don't understand why I started this discussion you either A: Have not read everything or B: Have no idea what I am talking about.

"So before you go trying to stick your nose in and stirring the pot because others are catching fish and your not, atleast get the facts straight Roll Eyes" The exact response I would expect from a kid that does not want to learn.

My comments are not directed at anyone in particular they are general comments. My initial post was just used as an example. It is very small in compared to the whole big picture of things.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 10:36:37 PM »

12 inches 15 inches it does not matter nor is it the point. A 1lb-1.5lb fish is barely a meal for one person.

If you don't understand why I started this discussion you either A: Have not read everything or B: Have no idea what I am talking about.

"So before you go trying to stick your nose in and stirring the pot because others are catching fish and your not, atleast get the facts straight Roll Eyes" The exact response I would expect from a kid that does not want to learn.

My comments are not directed at anyone in particular they are general comments. My initial post was just used as an example. It is very small in compared to the whole big picture of things.
Does not want to learn???????? Im always trying to sqeez out info and learn more from my fellow fishing companions. I SAID "So before you go trying to stick your nose in and stirring the pot because others are catching fish and your not, atleast get the facts straight Roll Eyes", Because you seem to be getting in quit a few predicaments lately, and saying how your the most honest person on the planet.  As for the last comment "My comments are not directed at anyone in particular they are general comments. My initial post was just used as an example. It is very small in compared to the whole big picture of things".......................Thats just Bull##^#, A few reports came in and ur all mad because were keeping 15-18inch hos.
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »

All mad? I am not mad in the least bit. Getting myself in a few predicaments? I am not in any that I know of. Who said I was the most honest person on the planet? I said " I pride myself on my honesty " I did not say planet. If you are going to quote me atleast get it right.

One thing I will say is please dont assume. The posts about people catching those small jacks did not get me mad. It got me thinking, but did not get me mad. It got me thinking and these were my thoughts on the "BIG PICTURE" not one or two small fishing reports.

Now before posting a reply I encourage you to think before you type. I am not going to sit here and argue with a 13 year old kid.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 10:44:11 PM »

If someone has 30 sockeye why are they killing 12inch coho jacks? 

Two different species and maybe they want something different for dinner or quick lunch  ???   

Its those people with that bonk everything attitude. I have seen guys that as soon as that fish is to shore its bonk bonk bonk they dont think about letting a fish go almost like it was theirs when they hooked it. 

These guys who bonks everything attitude................do you fish with them or know them?  I ask cuz how do you know that they bonk everything?  It maybe just that one day.  What if that's the only fish they've caught and don't have 30 sockeyes.  If the fish is legally hooked, wouldn't it be fair to say that it is theirs if they land it and its a keeper?

No, but if you have a salad, rice/veggies or potatoes with it and then you have a meal   ;)