Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish killing mentality  (Read 14283 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Fish killing mentality
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

I wont name names and wont point fingers but I am an inquisitive person and just need to know. If someone has 30 sockeye why are they killing 12inch coho jacks? Dont take this personal. Do they need the meat that bad? I mean what ever happened to catch and release? What happened to fishing for the sport and not just the meat. I know myself I would release anything smaller than 4lbs right now since I have 10 fish in the freezer.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Fish killing mentality
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »

second that...

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »

Hatchery Coho are meant to be taken for sport anglers, so why not enjoy another good meal you worked hard to find.
But yeah i believe to that so many people are just in it for the meat, and not the sport.
The Bigger The Better!

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:44:02 PM »

I am with you there eddie. Why kill something that small. Take a picture it will last longer.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »

haahahhahahahaahaa LMFAO, first of all my fish were not nearly 12 inches, They were capilano size 2-3lbs. And THOSE FISH INHALED MY ROE. and i mean inhaled. I had to cut the line both times to get the hook out and there were bleeding. Luckily they were hatch or those poor suckers were gonners. Sockeye is the only Meat fishery too me. I love early mornings on the vedder and love the feeling when my float rockets under!!! To me taking fish home is just a bonus.  And if I drive an hour and a bit I sure hope ill bring something home  ;D I sense some jealousy from eddis part  ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 08:50:42 PM »

Ask rodney what they do with hatchery fish that make it back to the channel. They are there to be kept. However the only time i might consider keeping something that small would be if i was camping and it was early in the morning. ie: Breakfast ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 08:52:50 PM »

Either we keep them for consumption, or the hatchery sells them to be turned into dog food.  :) So Iv heard.
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »

haahahhahahahaahaa LMFAO, first of all my fish were not nearly 12 inches, They were capilano size 2-3lbs. And THOSE FISH INHALED MY ROE. and i mean inhaled. I had to cut the line both times to get the hook out and there were bleeding. Luckily they were hatch or those poor suckers were gonners. Sockeye is the only Meat fishery too me. I love early mornings on the vedder and love the feeling when my float rockets under!!! To me taking fish home is just a bonus.  And if I drive an hour and a bit I sure hope ill bring something home  ;D I sense some jealousy from eddis part  ;D

Jealous? Not really, I catch plenty of fish its not the point. I am more of a sportsfisherman than a meat fisherman. I love the feeling I get when a salmon, trout or anything takes my float under, takes my fly etc. I also enjoy the days when I catch nothing like today. Just getting out with my friends, being out in the frsh air, or just spending some quality time with my son is all I need to fullfill my needs to fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 08:55:53 PM »

haahahhahahahaahaa LMFAO, first of all my fish were not nearly 12 inches, They were capilano size 2-3lbs. And THOSE FISH INHALED MY ROE. and i mean inhaled. I had to cut the line both times to get the hook out and there were bleeding. Luckily they were hatch or those poor suckers were gonners. Sockeye is the only Meat fishery too me. I love early mornings on the vedder and love the feeling when my float rockets under!!! To me taking fish home is just a bonus.  And if I drive an hour and a bit I sure hope ill bring something home  ;D I sense some jealousy from eddis part  ;D

Jealous? Not really, I catch plenty of fish its not the point. I am more of a sportsfisherman than a meat fisherman. I love the feeling I get when a salmon, trout or anything takes my float under, takes my fly etc. I also enjoy the days when I catch nothing like today. Just getting out with my friends, being out in the frsh air, or just spending some quality time with my son is all I need to fullfill my needs to fish.
Well said, That is why one day I hope to make fishing my job! Its relaxing, peacefull, fun, and really fun when ur catching fish, Taking one home is a bonus.
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 08:57:19 PM »

Well said, That is why one day I hope to make fishing my job! Its relaxing, peacefull, fun, and really fun when ur catching fish, Taking one home is a bonus.

I think you should come out in my boat one day for sturgeon. I will show you why I dont need to keep fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »

I would have killed those fish if i got em, i saw them right when they were gutted, nice looking fish. I bet 99% of you would have kept them if you werent catching much all day. Like others said all hatchery fish are there for are for killing for sporties. Now for instance if you were alowed to keep wild fish, and he kept those then that would just be something else. As they are part of real reproduction. my 2 cents, NICE FISH DANN

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 09:01:56 PM »

Even those 12 inchers reproduce if they are let to.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:49 PM »

no really? i didnt know that ;D ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 09:04:06 PM »

eddi , 12 inch fish are about 7 onces. no one has kept a 12 inch coho, that is silly so please correct that ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »

I think you should come out in my boat one day for sturgeon. I will show you why I dont need to keep fish.
I have caught some sturgeon before. THOSE ARE SOME BEAUTIFUL creatures. I enjoy fishing for them. Put up one hell of a fight.
weeeeeeeeeow!