Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allouette River Cleanup Summary  (Read 2402 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Allouette River Cleanup Summary
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »

So we all met around 8am and got our assigned areas. I took this project on as part of the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup. So when you sign up for this you only pick a section of the river. I chose an area that was just over a mile long. We had groups of 2,3,3,2 their were 10 of us and we worked our butts off.

We have some bad drug and crime in our town and it shows by the kind of garbage we picked up today. I was really disgusted that we found in excess of 7 diapers in a one mile stretch. You parents that leave your kids diapers in the river should be ashamed of yourselves. Lots of misc garbage, lots of broken glass, lots of chip bags etc etc. I estimated about 300lbs of garbage from this small area.

I would like to thank Jen from A.R.M.S for donating the grabbers and recycling bags as they all came in very handy. I hope to work with you in futire projects.

Also a huge thanks to everyone that showed and worked like dogs. May all of you be rewarded with fish a plenty 

Here are some pics from the cleanup ( Also Leadbelly can you e-mail me those pics to bbronswyk@shaw.ca, thanks )

Before

After

Before

After

Also some others

Diaper

The Cleanup Crew

Thanks again everyone
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:26:24 PM by eddie99 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Allouette River Cleanup Summary
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:23:14 PM »

Whats with the diaper people? ??? :-X

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 09:25:46 PM »

Good job Eddie for setting this up and kudos as well to the fellows that helped out. ;D

We will be out in full force next weekend on the Chilliwack Vedder River to celebrate BC Rivers Day.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:59:55 PM »

it was a really good day to be out there
thanks to all  who showed up
thanks to the  lady who came and picked up the trash
courtesy of maple ridge parks program
by the way you guys who left early missed out big time ;)
from my two friends who do not have computers yet
say "hey thanks good to be there"
next time we have to expand in a large way  ;D
i know for a fact theres way more than ten guys who fish this river
so next year lets shoot for twenty people
"from a tiny acorn grows the mighty oak"
and so shall this

plus it was really cool finding a new back pack
and a new cooler bait bag  ;D
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 09:18:06 AM »

Whats with the diaper people? ??? :-X
This is something I've wondered about in the past.
Why are there so many dirty diapers littering the rives of the Fraser Valley?
So many in fact that I once asked a guy up@ the Limit Hole on the Vedder "doesn't all this garbage bother you"?
He said "What garbage"?
Looking down I could see a dirty diaper wrapped around his ankle! ::)

I suppose it's easier to just throw them dirty diapers way than take them back to the double wide.

Cleanup Crew-Job Well Done!-It's a beautiful little system that needs all the help it can get.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »

On this system at Hot Rocks people bring their kids and they play in the water. It seems to me that they also think its ok to just dump any garbage instead of bring it home with them. The city should provide garbage cans at any of the easy access points. You would think parents would have a clue but obviously they don't. They are really teaching their kids the wrong message and when those kids grow up hopefully they learn from their parents mistakes instead of mimicking them.  We didn't find much garbage from fisherman which was a really good sign but we did get allot of garbage from homeless people and from day trippers.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Pat AV

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:47:34 AM »

That is the good stuff! I had to work that day or I would have been on some river helping out! This kind of thing is what makes fishing such an important hobby: It breeds passion and the love of all things river related.

Becoming a stream steward is the highest level you can reach as a fisherman: no full freezer, outrageous C+R stats or level of flyfishing purism will earn you as much respect from those who REALLY care as a simple act like taking a day to clean up a creek or volunteering at your community run hatchery etc.

Anglers who are wise enough to realize that they OWE some of their time to help out the rivers that give them pleasure truly are at the pinnacle of the sport!

Good job and all my fellow stream stewards keep up the good work!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »

thanks guys for the kind words.I just wish, year after year that more "fishermen" could see past their deepfreez.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:19 AM »

That is the good stuff! I had to work that day or I would have been on some river helping out! This kind of thing is what makes fishing such an important hobby: It breeds passion and the love of all things river related.

Becoming a stream steward is the highest level you can reach as a fisherman: no full freezer, outrageous C+R stats or level of flyfishing purism will earn you as much respect from those who REALLY care as a simple act like taking a day to clean up a creek or volunteering at your community run hatchery etc.

Anglers who are wise enough to realize that they OWE some of their time to help out the rivers that give them pleasure truly are at the pinnacle of the sport!

Good job and all my fellow stream stewards keep up the good work!

excellent post and good job guys!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 11:25:29 AM by Eagleye »