Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: English Bays Most Recent Report March 3rd  (Read 1286 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
English Bays Most Recent Report March 3rd
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:02:44 PM »

Hi Guys.

Thought I'd post a report for English Bay. This is off a local charter website.

I spoke with a different local firm and apparently the keepers are FAT chunky fish. Bait is not necessary..they recommend fishing with spoons. He was out this past weekend on Saturday and on a 5 hour charter he had 3 keepers. 1 just legal, the other 2 solid 11 lbers.

When it comes down to it..awesome steelheading VS spring salmon fishing? Probably steelheading right now..but if pounding miles of river amidst hundreds of Steelheaders isn't your bag on the weekend..get your boat fired up and ready to go..in 1 month, we're in for some FANTASTIC winter spring fishing.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/van_salt.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 06:07:25 PM by Rodney »
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Straight Runner

Re: English Bays Most Recent Report March 3rd
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »

Thanks for the report. Planning the next troll for March 17.

Do you all have any thoughts about how the  brats move around the Harbour with the tide. Springs that is. Specifically, say, trolling for a few hours during the ebb, through a 1 oclock low, and for a few hours into the flood. 8 foot change. Do you think they generally move out West away from Ambleside and Jerico as the tide heads out to a 5 foot low? Maybe am I trying to over analyze and over generalize.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »

I suspect there is a few people on here that will have a few things to say about my advice..but if I were you..I would try to stick to the outer sides of the bay..and deeper water. I'd probably troll out with the low, and plan on being near the QB "hot spot" for the slack..or if there was 'no action' as they say in that area before the slack..I'd be out in 120 to 140 feet of water in the "triangle"  by the mile markers. PM  me for more details.

Heard a fish story of a charter that was out this morning in the howling wind and driving rain with die hards that "absolutely must try salmon fishing" before they got on a plane and apparently they had on 2 absolute screamers. Reportedly, according to the guide,  1 peeled out 100 yards of line, and then it was gone, and the oil slick hootchy came back with only 1 of the 3/0 hooks..(bad guide tie I think). The 2nd one turned out to be fish in the high 20's and that got off behind the boat right before the net job. Both fish were hooked by off the 2nd Mile Marker, 140 feet of water at 73 feet on the downrigger within 20 minutes of eachother. Amazingly, he said his guest weren't chummers..lol.

My bet is Columbian River fish, and you gotta love the action on an intense low!

Fish story or fact? I can't be sure..but sounds like it was fun to me.

lol.
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Straight Runner

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »

That's the best news I've read in a long long time. Big ones. Damn good. I hope one of those big whites will stick around until I get out there.