Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: warm water  (Read 3742 times)

fisher88

warm water
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »

i read an article in the paper today or yesterday. It said that last year set a record for warmest ocean temps in the gulf of alaska/upper pacific. It said in some cases it was 3-4 degress warmer than average. Supposedly some jumbo octopus were making its way into the pacific and they usually stay away cuz of the cold. Not good news!!! Does this mean we will start to get some real sharks as they only enjoy warmer water?? hopefully not cuz those Big whites  :o are scary!!
If you aint dutch you aint much!

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: warm water
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:12:50 PM »

Personally Id love to see a few great whites entering our waters, I dont swim in the ocean anyways and they would probably keep the seal population  in check.

fisher88

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:16:48 PM »

if your worried about the population of salmon due to the seals eating them dont worry. If the water gets too hot there will be no salmon left period. im gonna be a scientist when i grow up who develops a massive pump to keep rivers cool enough for the salmon. ;D I will make milllions.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »

How are you gonna keep the ocean cool enough.  Mackerels will invade our waters and eat all the salmon.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 05:07:31 PM »

Supposedly some jumbo octopus were making its way into the pacific and they usually stay away cuz of the cold. Not good news!!!

Huh? Jumbo Octopus? :D :D :D I have some better news, pacific giant octopus, found from Alaska to Northern California, is one of the largest octopus species in the world... weighing up to 600lb. Now what's this jumbo octopi business? Gotta love journalists. ;)

tyee slayer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 05:31:20 PM »

Personally Id love to see a few great whites entering our waters, I dont swim in the ocean anyways and they would probably keep the seal population  in check.

Already has happended. One 9 ft one was spotted in the charlottes while I was there. Swam right under one of the boats. it was definatly a great white not salmon shark. They caught it on video. There are tonnes of blue sharks up there as well.
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

fisher88

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 10:20:57 PM »

Already has happended. One 9 ft one was spotted in the charlottes while I was there. Swam right under one of the boats. it was definatly a great white not salmon shark. They caught it on video. There are tonnes of blue sharks up there as well.

your joking right :o :o??? there have only been a great whites spotted and they washed up dead off the coast of vancouver island. There is no way there could be great whites in the QC's. and blue sharks?? i duno what those are.. BTW if you have that video i would love to see it!!!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:45:55 PM »

I too have heard on at least two occasions there have been great whites spotted in the charlottes. as for blues... not sure. These seperate times i've heard this was from guys who spend lots of time on the water up there. think it was 2 years ago.

tyee slayer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 07:31:51 AM »

your joking right :o :o??? there have only been a great whites spotted and they washed up dead off the coast of vancouver island. There is no way there could be great whites in the QC's. and blue sharks?? i duno what those are.. BTW if you have that video i would love to see it!!!

Unfortunatly im not joking. I dont own the video, the people that taped it showed everyone at the lodge. I have caught a few blue sharks there while hali fishing... a real nuicance (sp?)
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release