Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye open for FN  (Read 4960 times)

little fish

• I'm a llama!
sockeye open for FN
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:06:43 AM »

Sockeye opens for FN on the Fraser this weekend

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye open for FN
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:49 AM »

what else is new ::) :P

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:26 AM »

There is hardly any sockeyes to speak of and they open it up for FN. So much for the hypocrisy of the selective method clause. They tell us to conserve and then let the natives slay them left & right.  >:( ???

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:23:39 PM »

early stuarts are expected to be through the lower river and summer run fish are showing up. FN's always get to fish before sport fisher's so this should be expected. The sport fishing should be open by August 5 if not sooner. I am sure Chris Gadsen will have something to add to this.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:46:42 PM »

It also matters greatly WHERE the opening is.  if its in the "marine approach ways" then most of the early stuarts should have passed that point.  There are native boats working the ocean...if thats the cse, let em have at er...if its in the fraser then you really have to wonder what the hell is dfo thinking!

Maybe a little damage control and placating of our FN fishers after harper got them all riled up. :P

Nostro

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »

FN openings are a fact of life. Learn to live with it by keeping informed.
Here is the link to keep you informed about the communal, ceremonial and economic FN openings:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/firstnationsLF_e.htm
Never look a fish in the eye.

canmando

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »

at least someone is allowed to fish the sockeye, with the huge number of sockeye in the fraser right now i don't see why they don't open it for everyone now or last week  ??? .

who knows what dfo is trying to hide this time, but i wish they would get their heads out there a$$es and do their job instead of stretching their resources so thin then pretending they have a frickin' clue of whats going on in our waters. if the runs are so dismal like dfo says why would they open it for anyone,

makes one sick

any true government would have shut the river down to all salmon fishing if they suspected a small run of one species, but the fact they didn't just adds to the list of things they have no clue about, they expect people to take them seriously when they pull BS like that??? .   we see it every year with one thing or another. last year they gave us some BS story about a small run of sockeye too, but look what came up  :o. dfo is just one big boondoggle which has gone to hell in a handbasket.

good for the FN, it's nice to see someone allowed to fish an abundant fishery even if I'm not allowed,

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:01:16 PM by canmando »
Tight Lines Yall

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 03:35:37 PM »

Don't forget, sporties have been fishing for springs the whole time, so don't get greedy :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »

at least someone is allowed to fish the sockeye, with the huge number of sockeye in the fraser right now i don't see why they don't open it for everyone now or last week  ??? .

Huge number of sockeye in the Fraser? Would you care to quote your sources?

With all due respect, canmando, if you had fished the Fraser in the last couple of weeks, you'd know that there are not many in the river at this time, which has a lot of people quite worried.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »

Take a drive around chilliwack, you can see all the native fishermen hanging their nets out and preparing them for this years sockeye. saw 10 on my way to work today.
The Bigger The Better!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 04:25:55 PM »

I must agree that indian affairs and their hand outs is a pile of rubbish.  Until natives are treated as equals there will be this my smelly socks.  look at how their society has managed and how life on the reserve is.  I can't understand why anyone would pump so much money into such  a broken system that obviously is detrimental to FN as a whole. 

My buddy was 50% FN, he got free schooling, if he didnt do well, who cares he could just retake the coarse...didn't cost him a thing so what the hell!  While he was a friend of mine that situation made me resentful....like I said as long as we are not all treated as equals then there can be no equality.

canmando

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »

my source is the 9 sockeye i caught in the past 2 days using "selective fishing methods" on the incomming tide and the dozens apon dozens that were rising as far as my eyes could see trying to rid themselves of lice. a fellow former guide was trolling for chinook near the mouth and was hooking sockeye left right and center.
it might have started late but they are now in the river,

they cant just only be in the 2 areas i normally fish, and if they are only in those 2 spots, man am I a good fishing spot scout lol.
but yeah, i don't think im that good that i could find the only 2 spots on the river where they are hold up.

not sure if they are in the upper fraser yet in any numbers but no doubt they are in the lower.

if you figure im blowin' smoke, thats your choice, ;) ;D

Tight Lines Yall

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 06:06:51 PM »

not sure if they are in the upper fraser yet in any numbers but no doubt they are in the lower.

if you figure im blowin' smoke, thats your choice, ;) ;D

No, I don't think you are blowing smoke. If i did, I wouldn't have bothered to reply. ;)
Thanks for claryfying that you were referring to the mouth of the Fraser and the lower portion of the river. Until Sunday evening, the number of socks in the Upper River was, to put it mildly, dismal.

I am glad to hear that they are coming in.

[/quote]

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »

I think your still seeing bass, or smokeing grass ;)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 12:03:25 AM »

Milo is right. Where I fished above Rosedale a few days ago , sockeye hookup was rare compared to springs. Of course, we love to see them coming in huge number. Sushi time!  ;D