Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River & Bonus Fraser Valley Lake, September 24th 2012  (Read 2816 times)

chronic_topdawg

Re: Chilliwack River & Bonus Fraser Valley Lake, September 24th 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

Nice pics.  Nice runnin into you on the flow, sorry for my buddies we were having a long good day bye that point.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »

Rick, no apologies needed as colin6101 pointed out. I will lock this thread later on tonight but I am not going to delete it, for several good reasons in my opinion.

While some of you always fear the possibility of poachers lurking for hot spots in these reports, lets look at it from a different perspective. If Rick didn't curiously bring up his catches, he, and many others, would not have learned the biological background of these fish. Due to this knowledge, he will make sound decisions on whether he should target them, or making an effort to handle them with great care when caught. Those others who eventually stumble upon the same lake will hopefully do so as well. Realistically, if you have never been to the lake, you wouldn't have a clue where it is without doing extensive research. I surely don't know it and I have no interest in finding out. Lets also look at the typical profile of individuals who are interested in poaching in a fishery such as this one. My guess is they are generally local, no one is going to travel a great distance just so they can illegally harvest a few fish (that's what the Vedder is for isn't it?). I'd like to think poachers are generally uneducated and don't care much about anything. The fishing report board in this discussion forum has limited access for those who have contributed to the website or are paid subscribers. Again, they generally don't fit the profile of a poacher. The main concern in this board is having people not knowing how to identify fish or handle fish, heading to the lake and having an impact on this fish. The solution? It has been addressed at the beginning of this paragraph. I understand certain information should not be shared in the public domain due to its sensitivity, but little good is done if you insist on hiding it when the topic is brought up. The more you emphasize that it is a secret and attempt to hide it, the more curious people will be. A better alternative is to information people and address your concerns in a respectful way, most will understand and be receptive to your suggestions.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »

Rick, no apologies needed as colin6101 pointed out. I will lock this thread later on tonight but I am not going to delete it, for several good reasons in my opinion.

While some of you always fear the possibility of poachers lurking for hot spots in these reports, lets look at it from a different perspective. If Rick didn't curiously bring up his catches, he, and many others, would not have learned the biological background of these fish. Due to this knowledge, he will make sound decisions on whether he should target them, or making an effort to handle them with great care when caught. Those others who eventually stumble upon the same lake will hopefully do so as well. Realistically, if you have never been to the lake, you wouldn't have a clue where it is without doing extensive research. I surely don't know it and I have no interest in finding out. Lets also look at the typical profile of individuals who are interested in poaching in a fishery such as this one. My guess is they are generally local, no one is going to travel a great distance just so they can illegally harvest a few fish (that's what the Vedder is for isn't it?). I'd like to think poachers are generally uneducated and don't care much about anything. The fishing report board in this discussion forum has limited access for those who have contributed to the website or are paid subscribers. Again, they generally don't fit the profile of a poacher. The main concern in this board is having people not knowing how to identify fish or handle fish, heading to the lake and having an impact on this fish. The solution? It has been addressed at the beginning of this paragraph. I understand certain information should not be shared in the public domain due to its sensitivity, but little good is done if you insist on hiding it when the topic is brought up. The more you emphasize that it is a secret and attempt to hide it, the more curious people will be. A better alternative is to information people and address your concerns in a respectful way, most will understand and be receptive to your suggestions.

I agree Rod, and I do believe the many violators that have killed one of these "rainbows" did not even bother to check the regulations as they are not allowed to kill ANY fish, even the small resident 'bows, in this lake.  Many people on the lake act surprised when I mention it is a catch and release fishery.  There should be better signs posted.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »

No but it is a redneck party place ;D

rickjames_2

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »

Nice pics.  Nice runnin into you on the flow, sorry for my buddies we were having a long good day bye that point.

Yeah, nice bumping into you guys. Sounded like you guys were having fun.

P.S. did you wind up with the fish?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Robert_G

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

The summer run steelhead returns on that system are less than 100 per year.....and way too many people bonking fish from both the lake and river.

rickjames_2

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »

Thanks Rodney. Running the site sounds like a full time job, thanks for doing it. Again, all fish were released really quickly(it's why I only have 2 pics of them) and were landed by net using single baseless hooks. Really couldn't do much more except to not pick them up(which I wont if I do ever fish it again).

To everyone else thanks for the knowledge  ;D As I said, was only familiar with Steelhead on the Vedder and Chehalis, didn't think I would Catch em in a lake. Now I know Thanks again.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.