Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery stock enhancement question.  (Read 1985 times)

Parasoul

Hatchery stock enhancement question.
« on: July 29, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »

Legit shower thought.

What effect could there be if a hatchery, like the Capilano (on a river that's totally dependant on enhancement) adds non-natal salmon into the mix? I'm genuinely curious if it's a detriment or an opportunity.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:42:38 PM by Parasoul »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Hatchery stock enhancement question.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 05:55:46 AM »

Legit shower thought.

What effect could there be if a hatchery, like the Capilano (on a river that's totally dependant on enhancement) adds non-natal salmon into the mix? I'm genuinely curious if it's a detriment or an opportunity.

You mean like adding chum to the hatchery program? Or some awesome super hybrid DNA modified chinook+chum+tuna frankenfish?

Parasoul

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 06:27:24 AM »

A hypothetical question of adding pinks, or chum to a hatchery program on a river that never historically had pinks or chum.

I know I could of worded that better but I was typing on mobile.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 11:17:44 AM »

Legit shower thought.

that was done with introduction of fall chinook which are not native to the Cap'. Beyond the possible effects of 'non-natal' species there is also money and capacity issues. Pink salmon programs have been done in a few locations where no native run was present - those programs largely get discontinued in the face of budget and policy changes.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Parasoul

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »

Thanks for the informed reply.

I had no idea that was the reality on the Cap. Always thought that fall Chinooks were always a thing there. Where were the pink programs that have since been discontinued?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »

Thanks for the informed reply.

I had no idea that was the reality on the Cap. Always thought that fall Chinooks were always a thing there. Where were the pink programs that have since been discontinued?

2 that I know of were pen operations to feed and release pink fry in Comox harbour and in Cowichan Bay. In the last few years pink fry have been released directly into the Puntledge and in some streams near Fanny Bay. Pen fed fry release has been happening in site near Nanaimo - about 750k in 2019.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.