Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old eyes and high vis line  (Read 4204 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Old eyes and high vis line
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »

I'm having problems seeing mono line when float fishing. I know it's best to keep the line out of the water all the way to the float but I can't always see the line . I'm thinking of using a high vis line but here's my question. Does the coloured mainline below the float and above the leader spook the fish ? Are there any other suggestions for keeping visual contact with the line.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

trootn

Re: Old eyes and high vis line
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

Ive been using hi-vis line for all my centerpinning and I have caught many Capilano coho,so I dont think it really matters.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »

If you are worried about spooking fish you could always put a short 2' section of regular mono below the hivis line.

You also may not need a full-on neon bright line. Some mono is much easier to see in daylight than others.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »

--try pink... vis above and dissapears quickly at depth
--or as suggested leader
--think of it this way... fly fishers seem to be succesful with a lot thicker line and often not that subtle a colour... dry lines are usually bright but not always.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:57:38 AM »

Berkley Trilene Big Game Solar Collector Monofilament green, is very good for you, I use it all the time fresh and salt water.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »

I'm having problems seeing mono line when float fishing. I know it's best to keep the line out of the water all the way to the float but I can't always see the line . I'm thinking of using a high vis line but here's my question. Does the coloured mainline below the float and above the leader spook the fish ? Are there any other suggestions for keeping visual contact with the line.
Not at all i use yellow braided line for springs up north and if the bite is on it does not matter. My theory always is if a fish is willing to bite a big chunk of roe then line visibility should be the least of your worries, or even better a big piece of flashy metal.
[

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »

.....berkley trans-optic or platypus low-stretch in pink(also in hi-vis orange).....the trans-optic responds to uv so the portion underwater is lower vis...pink shows above water but has been shown to be not visible to fish...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

wallygator24

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »

I too like watching my line as well as my float.  I have been using P-line CXX high visibility line and have been happy with it.  I have not noticed any difference in my catch ratio.  If you are concerned about spooking fish, you can always use a fluorocarbon leader.  I use fluorocarbon leaders when I fish high visibility line.  I also use a mono or fluorocarbon bumper line when fishing with high visibility braided lines as well. 

Kever

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:13 PM »

I think I'll try a spool of high vis line even though I have excellent vision. Straining eyes all day can't be good, and maintaining that ideal drift is essential to catching fish. Hopefully Fred's in Abbotsford has a decent selection of 20lb test.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »

Maxima Hi Vis has been the only line i've put on my centerpin the last 3 years. Absolutely love it!!

Kever

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »

Definitely like my high vis line. Picked up some lime green stuff from fred's in abby and put it to use. I don't think it has affected my catch rate as I seem to be doing just as well as the people around me and it allows me to focus on my float rather than my line. Good investment.