Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hook size on blue fox's....Gibbs ect..  (Read 5385 times)

Shinny

Hook size on blue fox's....Gibbs ect..
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »

The hooks that come with blue fox's and Gibbs are huge...the size alone would scare off a fish. Curious as to what size hook your running on say a #3 blue fox or a 1/4 Gibbs croc. I'm thinking something in the 4 size would be a good size, wondering what people are running...surely it's not the huge hook that comes with these lures.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Hook size on blue fox's....Gibbs ect..
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »

Those hooks won't scare fish away. Some may disagree. There's nothing subtle about a polished spinner flapping away in a fishes face, I don't think the hook scares them. That said they're still junk hooks usually. For #3 size blade weighted spinner I'll use a #2 mustad  ultra point siwash. For float fishing a Colorado for example, I'll use a #1 to get the hook farther away from the blade, mostly because I'm dead drifting and the blade is just barely fluttering.

Tangles

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »

Like Noah suggested I swap them usually with #1-1/0 open eye Mustad siwash hooks which I think retain sharpness longer too. The factory ones are 2/0-3/0 if I remember and they work just as well too. If you are stuck with the factory ones I'd at least give them a little offset with the pliers and make sure they are kept sharp regularly.

Shinny

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »

Ok, thanks. I have some #1&2 hooks somewhere at home. Is a trailing hook setup effective on a spinner?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

You would THINK, for the price these spinners and spoons cost these days, they would come with a quality hook not a kwality hook.

Tangles

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »

Ok, thanks. I have some #1&2 hooks somewhere at home. Is a trailing hook setup effective on a spinner?
It is doable but you'll be dealing with a lot of line twist which will cause the hook to be all over the place.
Also when choosing hooks make sure the eye is wide enough so it slides freely over the entire split ring.

Zackattack

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »

You would THINK, for the price these spinners and spoons cost these days, they would come with a quality hook not a kwality hook.

I know right? Some of the hooks that come with Gibbs products now are garbagio haha

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »

I don't think the hooks are garbage. Have no problems with the hooks ever. Just give them a sharpen before you fish..regular maintenance. Maybe some sizes are too big so just size down a notch.

Zackattack

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 06:38:44 PM »

They dull incredibly fast and are very thin gauge in my experiences with their blades and spoons

sbc hris

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »

Yep. Garbage hooks. When I buy them the hooks come off and get replaced with gamis

243Pete

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:43:08 PM »

Gibb's hooks are fair, should honestly use a better hook but maybe that is how they try to keep some of the cost down for consumers. Maybe they could ship some spoons without hooks so people could make their own choices?

I just replace all my spoon hooks with siwash sickle hooks in size 2-1/0 and the trailing hook method, spinners with the same hook but just a split ring.