Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ignorance  (Read 5089 times)

rockonfishing

ignorance
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »

Well today was my last day fishing for awhile was way up river enjoying a few of the breaks in the weather before I head up to chetwynd for the next few weeks,
2 things, safety on the water - kids should enjoy fishing without any consequences however with fast water especially this time of year I encourage parents to put life vests on them,
next catching a fish in the head is not considered a legal catch and should be released.  I see this quite often and I spoke out today on both cases and received devilish looks for both parents and fishers.
Lets not have tragedy over a fish, and encourage new fishers to be ethical, is that too much to ask.
 :( >:(

TheFishingLad

Re: ignorance
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »

I'm starting to think let it go. Let everyone do what they want, fish how they want and snag what they want. Fish numbers will deplete, rivers will go to hell and maybe then the government may look at the current state on how things are going and re evaluate how it got there.

Hopefully that would introduce more officers, regulations, enforcement and everyone would live happily ever after in stead of trying to hold on to this poor state of affairs getting slightly worse.

Let it buck. I'll go fish my small lakes and have a ball until it's sorted, or not.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »

I'm starting to think let it go. Let everyone do what they want, fish how they want and snag what they want.

No, terrible idea. More people need to speak up, and help educate. Most people just don't know any better.

DRP79

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »

There are just as many people that do know better but dont give a flying f@#k. I took a drive up river yesterday and saw a couple of the gong spots and decided to head back down river. Less fish for sure but Im not going out there to feed my family.

I get the whole head in the sand isnt a great approach but so is not coming home because you shoot your mouth off to the wrong person or group. I guarantee you that there are people on the Vedder/CHWK that would give a person the rock shampoo and bleed them out just as easily as they would a fish.

Everyone is quick to say that no fish is worth not coming home for when it comes to wading or fishing dangerous spots but then that thought completely disappears on the idea of confrontation.

Im not saying to never point things out etc but there is definitely a place for tact in the situation. A few civil exchanges of words should give you a clear idea of the type of person you are chatting with and if they will be receptive to constructive criticism or teaching of if they are just an idiot who doesnt care to know better.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »

No, terrible idea. More people need to speak up, and help educate. Most people just don't know any better.

Agreed 100%. Its not just up to the government to manage the resource and we shouldn't wait until it goes to crap first. You cant legislate culture, but you can influence it from within. The typical gong show spots are mostly a symptom of herd mentality and monkey see monkey do, IMHO. A fair percentage of those people would probably be receptive to new techniques and mindsets given the right context.

ChumChaser

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »

+1

Agreed 100%. Its not just up to the government to manage the resource and we shouldn't wait until it goes to crap first. You cant legislate culture, but you can influence it from within. The typical gong show spots are mostly a symptom of herd mentality and monkey see monkey do, IMHO. A fair percentage of those people would probably be receptive to new techniques and mindsets given the right context.

DRP79

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

The context part is the big point there IMO.

I am all for changing the outlook of the angling future but to do it by confronting random people on the river is like trying to get rid of an ant hill by killing one ant at a time. The licensing system would be a good start and find a way to drum up more funding for more enforcement by people who give a damn.

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

The government should start a volunteer program similar to the Vancouver "block watch" and "crime watch" programs.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

Where we live the uneducated are the loudest which tends to be the most influential. My solution offers a quicker ending where my pops would still have a chance fishing after the government stepped in.

The majority of posts on this forum regarding these types of fisherman is not a love story, In stead complaining about it, with little success in 'conversion'. It has to get worse to get better.

But, unpopular opinion is unpopular.

The government should start a volunteer program similar to the Vancouver "block watch" and "crime watch" programs.

this with actual authority would be golden.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:44:21 PM by TheFishingLad »

Sage2106

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »

What we need to do is tell the dfo to piss off. Once the salmon leave the tidal portion of the river should be back under provincial control. Take and make the fines double and get the money going right back into the Co's enforcement budget not general revenue. Dfo dropped the ball long ago in the real world if your shitty at your job you get fired. Well dfo your fired in my mind.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »

Hard for dfo to do their job by its description when they are effectively being handcuffed by Ottawa.

Actually they might as well be hogtied.

Have a problem with something, look beyond to the governing body and call them out.

Not the ones being prevented from doing their job.