Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommendations for reels  (Read 2927 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Recommendations for reels
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »

So after a bad day on the river my reel broke after a bad spill wading. Anyone have a recommendation for a reel for chinook drift fishing. I prefer centerpin but anything works.

Also any recommendations on a reel for bar fishing. Took out my old spinning bar reel and it's toast. I have 4 daiwa mooching rods from my ocean days, do you guys like using those? Just spool it up with some braided line? Thanks

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Recommendations for reels
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »

Mooching reels work great for bar fishing.
The rod,not so much. ;D

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »

I picked up a Daiwa Luna 300 last year when my Shimano Catala bit the dust.  It felt very comfortable to cast right from the start.  I have used it on the Fraser and the Vedder. Caught two nice springs without much trouble.

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »

How much are you willing to spend, I may have a centerpin for sale. Like new, no nicks, dings or scratches.  Spins really well and would make a good reel for Chinooks.
What kind of reel is it. As long as something is quality then I don't mind spending the money. Inwas saving for new pin for the smaller guys but this came up lol

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »

I'll have to check my mooching reels and oil them up. I'm guess you cast it similar to a centerpin? I've never tried to before

gofishon

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »

I don't know how well mooching reels would work for bar fishing, but I have seen a lot of moochers at the bar :D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »

If it's ok I'll message you on FB when I get home from work, seems that you and I have a mutual friend.
Go for it. Didn't realize people could search me with all thx settings I have

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »

So I dug out my old mooching reels, I have 3 Daiwa 275's and 1 Daiwa 275B
Anyone use one of these reels bar fishing before? Would this reel be suitable for that application? If I can get away with using a reel I already own rather than buying a new one then that would be great.
Still on the hunt for a new reel for bigger fish on the vedder, be it a pin or something else

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »

There's some videos on here somewhere of Chris and Rod bar fishing for springs with a mooching reel.

gofishon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »

I think that a well lubricated mooching reel with a full spool of line, matched with a suitable rod would work. You probably want to practise a cast or two in an noncongested area and be ready to thumb (more like palm) the reel as needed. Fish a bar where you don't have to cast a mile out and get ready to set the hook, and reel that knucklebuster like crazy.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »

There's some videos on here somewhere of Chris and Rod bar fishing for springs with a mooching reel.
I've watched that vid way back...unfortunately I dont recall them talking to much about the reel itself