Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headed to the Stamp, anyone have any suggestions/reports?  (Read 2875 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Headed to the Stamp, anyone have any suggestions/reports?
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »

headed to the stamp this coming week, just wondering how the fishing is right now? any replies would be appreciated. We are fishing the lower river for one day with Murphy's Sportfishing, I believe the guide's name is Rolly. The next day we are planning on fishing on our own, should be fun.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Headed to the Stamp, anyone have any suggestions/reports?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »

slow. very slow....

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »

thanks, yeah been hearing that it's low and clear, fish are there but not biting. I am really hoping that some rain comes to bring some more fish in.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »

Just remember to report back when you get back. I'm going the following week.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:41 PM »

yeah for sure, I'm gonna take lots of pics, super stoked to try a new river and hopefully fight some steelies.

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:14:01 AM »

You got one of the best with rolly!  You'll have fun. Hopefully you hit it just right on one of those days!

Hotrod

Scott

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »

Bring a big cooler because you will be bringing home a lot of fish!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

Bring a big cooler because you will be bringing home a lot of fish!

Now there's an optimistic response!

Perhaps just a little too much so given the present state of things here...
Slow doesn't really describe the show. Here's what I can pass along:
- Swim count just a short time ago indicated less than 150 fish from the Falls all the way down to the mouth. Lowest count this time of year I can ever recall.
- One of the better guides has begun taking his folks down to the Cowie instead of facing down another dismal go on the the local flow.
- Many of the DieHards that are normally out there each and every day through this time of year have backed right of in their efforts. A few have actually hung up the rods for the time being, while others are taking up lake fishing!  ??? I've been off the Big pond for a week, and haven't even bothered for a quick boo due to the poor reports from all directions.
- River is running very low and cold. The metabolism of the few fish in is dead slow, so zipperlip syndrome is much more frequent than not. And any fish considering entering into the flow face down the very low conditions with very cold flows, and the mouth being patrolled by hungry & aggressive seals.

Hate to paint such a grim picture, and I VERY much do wish it were different! But you should know what you're looking at, and that is the way it is. You'll be headed out with a decent guide, so hopefully he can pull off a little magic for you and get you into a few...

With the water level at the dam being intentionally kept low (earthen dam at Boot Lagoon has major structural integrity problems) and scheduled to stay that way for the foreseeable future, we need a LOT of rain to make anything of a positive difference. That and we could seriously use a couple of capable snipers at Papermill for a day or two...

Anyway, Good Luck on your run! Hope you manage to beat the odds, and dig up some of that elusive Stamp Silver!

Cheers,
Nog

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »

thanks fellas, man I am almost wishing that we were going a week later, hopefully there is some decent precipitation to bring the fish in. It will be fun though, sounds like we have a good guide which will probably greatly increase our odds on a new river. I've never fished with a guide so it'll be a new experience. Anybody else out there have some reports? been out lately?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »

thanks fellas, man I am almost wishing that we were going a week later, hopefully there is some decent precipitation to bring the fish in. It will be fun though, sounds like we have a good guide which will probably greatly increase our odds on a new river. I've never fished with a guide so it'll be a new experience. Anybody else out there have some reports? been out lately?

Listen to Iron Noggin. He will tell you exactly the way it is. If you want more reports their is a forum for Islanders its called Kill Fish. www.killfish.com You will need to create a profile and post in the introduce yourself page before seeing the rest of the forum. Its an awesome site for Vancouver Island.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »

thanks bro, and thanks Noggin, I am checking out that island forum now.