Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: save our rivers!  (Read 2500 times)

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
save our rivers!
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »

i just found this site you NEED to look at this video and tell more people about it!

http://ourrivers.ca/
girls suck throw rocks at them!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: save our rivers!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

It is like fish farming... a chance for some of the Liberals funders to reap cash at our expense. They will probably end up "owning" the water to the river because of the (heavily tax payer subsidized) investment they profess they made. The term I believe is : corporate welfare bums wreaking havoc on the enviroment. Theres alot of businesses that never get the leg up like these leeches.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

clownfish

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »

I was in attendance at the public meeting last night at the Ramada Inn in Pitt Meadows, there was quite the turnout. In fact about 20-30 minutes after the public got a chance to speak about this project, the Pitt Meadows Fire Chief showed up to state that as the capacity of the venue was greatly exceeded if the crowd was not halved "within 5 minutes" he would be shutting down the meeting with the RCMP to assist in enforcing that order. Coincidence? Convenient!

Before everyone left a representative of the Katzie Nation exacted a promise from the MOE officials that they would provide the public of Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge with another opportunity to have their say, hopefully at a larger venue than this one. Hopefully the meeting in Mission (next week I believe) will be at a sufficiently large enough site.

There were no representatives from the Liberal govt present, however MLA Micheal Sather and a gentleman that was the Minister of the Environment some 15 years ago, under the NDP (unfortunately I do not recall his name and have not had a chance to research it), both spoke out quite passionately against this rape and pillage of a class "A" provincial park.

Please go and read the info and watch the videos at the websites below and see what is in store, and then send your comments to the govt and the media.

Thank You

www.bmn.bc.ca

www.upperpittriver.ca

www.ourrivers.ca

www.wildernesscommittee.org

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:37:30 AM by clownfish »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »

the Canadian liberals are the polar opposites of US liberals.  It's the conservatives here that rape nature for pure proffit and development.  They're all about short time gains and not planning ahead.  As far as preserving and protecting land from development goes; why does it always have to be a liberal or conservative issue.  Is it not the right thing to do?  If so, who cares if it's a liberal or conservative agenda?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »

Sorry about that rant, I am ignorant of the exact issue that is in this thread, but read all the time on other threads about the extreme liberal tree huggers. 

Just my 2 cents, but if you want to exact some change and save some rivers, it's time to oust that dude who's pushing to dredge the fraser and other rivers of all their gravels. 

clownfish

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »

I should note that the Fire Chief would only have been doing his job as required for public safety, but it does seem convenient about him showing up when things were starting to "heat up" a bit ;D (couldn't resist that one).

Bentrod, we have several species of liberals here, the three most common are; the small "l" type which includes the "tree huggers" (I don't always agree with some of their positions on logging (and other topics), after all that has always been a major industry AND source of jobs, but I would never allow anyone to prevent them from exercising their right to express their opinions), and two political species, large "L" (provincial and federal), which in this province, are only slightly related.

Some of the main concerns on this topic are destruction of wildlife habit (fish, grizzlies, wolves, elk, and mountain goat, among others), the precedent of opening provincial parks to private development and private ownership of public resources. Currently it is against the law to permit mining, logging, hydroelectric development, or pretty well any type of development other than improving the park(s) in the "normal" fashion, IE. better access and camping facilities.

salmon river

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »

The BC Liberals have no relationship to the federal ones. The BC Liberals are only liberals in name only. They are in fact a small 'c' conservative party that was basically the old Social Credit party.

clownfish

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »

That's true, the only thing they seem to be truly liberal about is lining the pockets of their freinds and themselves.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »

If you are on Facebook, the campaigne is now being well organized at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5680590325

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »

the Canadian liberals are the polar opposites of US liberals.  It's the conservatives here that rape nature for pure proffit and development.  They're all about short time gains and not planning ahead.  As far as preserving and protecting land from development goes; why does it always have to be a liberal or conservative issue.  Is it not the right thing to do?  If so, who cares if it's a liberal or conservative agenda?

well bloody said  :)
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »

Hey this is capitalism at it's best.
Everything will be in private hands.
The few will own everything, including all natual resources.
As the population of the world grows somebody needs to feed and heat that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:34:54 PM by adriaticum »