Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backing for a Fly reel  (Read 2059 times)

steve B

Backing for a Fly reel
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:03:54 PM »

what else can you use for backing on your fly reel ?

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Backing for a Fly reel
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

--I'd say... what can the guides on your rod handle...
--If you are going to need your backing often to land large fish then you have to conscider.. do you need abrasion resistance or just lots of line.

--I use 30 lb Dacron.. thicker to help fill the reel, get the line in quicker and abrasion resistance.
-- 20 lb Dacron standard..

--I usually use High vis backing so I know where it is... well OK I use it to make the line look cool on the reel.

--bit of cork or Dacron then Braid.. 50 lb same diameter as 10 lb now have at least double the yards of backing on the reel.
--some.. modern braids are not as abrasive...that's what you want.. abrasive line or Dacron sand mix and you can kiss most guides goodbye.
-- titanium guides and tip or SIC tip if you're constantly into your backing when landing fish.

--if your not into the backing often... at least check it often.. just in case you hook the big one

--I have seen guys use mono.. same idea.. a bit of Dacron to protect the reel.. I would only use this if I am often getting spooled or having an issue with guide wear.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Backing for a Fly reel
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:54:43 PM »

Why are you asking? If it is price, do some price shopping. I have done that for years.

Here is what I have found; dacron trolling line and dacron backing are much the same product. Most likely made in the same factory, trolling line is less expensive. They come in two generic colors, white and black. When other colors are used the price goes up, and when a popular brand name is added the price goes up again.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"