Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Election?  (Read 21980 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Another Election?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »

harper wasted atleast 7 weeks before revealing his budget, when many other countries have tabled stimulus packages, whether they are good or not. i think harpers reluctance to act quickly is reason enough to vote non confidence. the pussy doesn't have the balls to face a confidence vote. i would hope that if there is another election, that the voter turnout is way better.

It will be....and it will be a Conservative Majority.  Most Canadians are afraid of the Bloc and Dion.  We are a forgiving bunch, and Harper may have been slower, but the budget wasn't out yet.  The coalition jumped the gun and played bad politics by deciding to get into bed with one another.  Not to mention the polls are showing over 60% of the public don't agree with party funding out of taxpayers coffers. (me included).  If you have a strong political platform, you don't need a kickback, you just need to get your message out there and find donors.  Don't forget, Harper was going to pass this piece of the legislation with a minority government, which means his party would have to play by the same rules and find it's own funding next time too.  In a time of fiscal restraint, it seems smart (not popular to other parties, but smart) to cut your own budget first and be smarter with taxpayers money....it's all how the papers want you to read it....they are the worst.

I love reading biased Cons supporters LOL

Ya sure it doesn't come out of taxpayers money. Who cares!! The reason he did this was because the Cons have lots of money while the NDP and Liberals are broke. Their is no other reason why he is doing it. Harper doesn't care about tax payers money. He cares about one thing and thats Harper. I wont vote for some racist fascist.......

If they do have to go back to the polls you can guarantee that Dion well not be the leader of the party.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

daver

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »

the reason there is a subside is to curb the private funding from corporations and unions to avoid influence. harpers only reason is to hurt the other parties financially. he is arrogant and thought he was gonna walk away with a majority and was made to look like an idiot. saving 24 million isnt gonna break the coffers.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »

It's not mine but:

Jack and Gilles
Went up the Hill
To build a Coalition
And, with Dion,
They shoved the Cons
Back into Opposition.

Three lunatics
Whose stupid tricks
Will leave us all in Debt
Thus, I note,
When you don't Vote
This is the cupcakes you get!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »

Some people don't seem to understand that the coalition has nothing to do with economy and the way government runs and it has all to do with taking power!

We are in a perfect situation in Ottawa.
We have a minority government which means they can't put any laws through without public being alerted and getting support from a part of the opposition.
We have an economic crysis around the world and we have a Conservative government which is far more fiscally responsible.

Coalitions are not formed after elections to take power from the ruling party.
Coalitions are formed before the elections to gain votes to take power.

Capisce!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »

the reason there is a subside is to curb the private funding from corporations and unions to avoid influence. harpers only reason is to hurt the other parties financially. he is arrogant and thought he was gonna walk away with a majority and was made to look like an idiot. saving 24 million isnt gonna break the coffers.

Agreed

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »

To this comment-"Three lunatics Whose stupid tricks Will leave us all in Debt" : You do realize the country's debt was being paid down under the liberals right? And they not only did not run a deficit, they ran a surplus of (don't quote me) but I believe when they left office it was  a surplus of 9.1 billion. Since the Conservatives took power, the surplus has shriveled to almost nothing, and they (Conservatives) are talking about running a deficit of up to 14 billion next year(2009). So, to correct, who's fiscally responsible ??? ;D

LargeMouthMinnow

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »

To this comment-"Three lunatics Whose stupid tricks Will leave us all in Debt" : You do realize the country's debt was being paid down under the liberals right? And they not only did not run a deficit, they ran a surplus of (don't quote me) but I believe when they left office it was  a surplus of 9.1 billion. Since the Conservatives took power, the surplus has shriveled to almost nothing, and they (Conservatives) are talking about running a deficit of up to 14 billion next year(2009). So, to correct, who's fiscally responsible ??? ;D

You do realize Canada was in an economic boom the last 5-7 years.  The government experiences surpluses the same time as the economy due to increased spending, incomes thus taxes.  Aswell, the government has investment, holdings etc that all increase.  Don't know who is responsible for better money management, but we can't be quick to give too much credit during high times and too much blame during low times.  In saying that, we need our government to be fiscally responsible in these times and if they run a deficit, to choose wisely and creatively to keep our economy bouyant.
The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the pow'r
To say just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour!
Now is the only time we have, to do the what you will;
Do not delay another day, your clock may then be still!

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 10:33:46 AM »

Yes I do realize, and do you realize the conservatives has been in power since 2006? A time when our country was in the best financial state in a decade or more? Since they took power in 2006 when the economy was probably in the best position in recent memory, our surplus still faded. It was mismanaged even when our country was prosperous under Conservative management. They chose to doll out massive corporate tax cuts (in the billions to oil companies) at a time when they know claim they knew tough times were coming and to companies who are making billions (oil sands). Now,  I do like tax cuts (to small businesses not to corporations) but only in times when it is fiscally possible, and I believe we would be better prepaired as a country if there was no corporate tax cuts and we had the billions given to oil companies. If you read into the financial history of when the conservatives were in power and compare it to the financials of when the liberals were in power, there is a huge difference in fiscal responsibility. I realize there are ups and downs and yes the liberals also enjoyed the "good" times, the difference being they ran a massive surplus and chose to use the money to pay down our national debt instead of more corporate tax cuts to rich fat cats. Its just a matter of choosing which party will screw us little people over less , after seeing Harper's latest methods, I personally can't trust him but I also don't want to have another 350 million dollar election. We shall see in the new year if this time he will choose to work with the opposition as it is his job as a minority government to work with all parties and listen to their ideas and not try to rule as a dictator. just my personal thoughts.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »

Salmonsturgeontrout,

Neither Liberals nor Conservaties have a measurable effect on the economy.
Liberals were in power for over a decade and it just so happens that the decade was a prosperus one.
Liberal policies didn't cause the prosperity just like Conservative policies are not causing the recession.
This recession has been long time in the making.
It just so happens that Conservatives got into power when the times are bad.
If nothing else, Liberal policies of liberalising banking/credit system are bringing this recession on.
And we rank as the best positioned country to ride out this recession without major damage.

If you blame ones or credit the others you have too much faith in what they can really do.
They ride the waves for the most part. The economy these days is a global phenomenon.
Right now, no one country in the world is doing well.
So does that mean all governments have bad fiscal policies?
Except Somalia ,which is apparently doing well, we are all in the hole. Some more than others.

The recession is happening because people have over-extended and spent too much money they didn't have.
Now they are trying to spend even more money they don't have but there is no credit available.
This is a mere correction and it's a good thing.
If we don't learn something now and change our fiscal habits, the next recession will be worse than the Great Depression.

It boggles my mind to hear on CKNW that they are telling people to go out and spend money to support their local economy.
This epitomizes the problems we have and the world we live in.

Anyway, this coalition is dead and if we go to the polls in January, Convervatives will win a majority.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:08:07 PM by adriaticum »

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 08:36:16 PM »

Adriaticum,
I obviously didn't specify what I was referring to when talking about the economy, I should have said government budget as thats what I was referring to, not the actual economy, obviously they don't play much of a role in the economy. The liberals were in power in a prosperous era but not to begin with as "When Chrétien took office in 1993, he inherited a $43-billion deficit left by the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney. By the time he retired in 2003, the deficit had been eliminated and the federal government was awash in huge annual surpluses. After less than three years in office, Liberals contend, Harper has squandered the surpluses and left the country teetering on the brink of deficit. Moreover, Dion has repeatedly charged that Harper has presided over the slowest economic growth since 1990, when Mulroney was still in charge." The Canadian Press. That was my point. As for the banks/ credit crisis, Canada is in the best position in the world because of the liberal policies. There is not one party that is fiscally responsible, but when times are tough ie) early 90's with a 43 billion deficit. , the liberals have proved to know how to tighten the belts instead of dolling out corporate tax cuts to multi-billion dollar companies. Lets face it ALL THE PARTIES SUCK! but the liberals have proved to be MORE fiscally responsible with their budgets.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »

Well I side with those that say governments do matter with regards to business. Governments establish the rules of the game, the climate in which businesses can operate. For instance, higher levels of taxation might have a negative effect on future investment. But with regards  to the mess we are in, and unfortunately will be in for a number of years. This is the direct result of not having strict rules in place when it came down to mortagages and loans South of the border. When those big banks and financial institutions started going down one by one, it was just a matter of time before it became a global problem. A lot of the corporate bigshots who preached laissez faire business practices are having to eat crow now as they go to the U.S government with hands extended asking for a government bailout. Hopefully we and our elected officials learn from this, if not expect the same thing to happen once again later on down the road.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »

Adriaticum,
I obviously didn't specify what I was referring to when talking about the economy, I should have said government budget as thats what I was referring to, not the actual economy, obviously they don't play much of a role in the economy. The liberals were in power in a prosperous era but not to begin with as "When Chrétien took office in 1993, he inherited a $43-billion deficit left by the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney. By the time he retired in 2003, the deficit had been eliminated and the federal government was awash in huge annual surpluses. After less than three years in office, Liberals contend, Harper has squandered the surpluses and left the country teetering on the brink of deficit. Moreover, Dion has repeatedly charged that Harper has presided over the slowest economic growth since 1990, when Mulroney was still in charge." The Canadian Press. That was my point. As for the banks/ credit crisis, Canada is in the best position in the world because of the liberal policies. There is not one party that is fiscally responsible, but when times are tough ie) early 90's with a 43 billion deficit. , the liberals have proved to know how to tighten the belts instead of dolling out corporate tax cuts to multi-billion dollar companies. Lets face it ALL THE PARTIES SUCK! but the liberals have proved to be MORE fiscally responsible with their budgets.

When the Tories came into power in 1984 they inherited $34.5 billion in deficit from Liberal.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »

Adriaticum,

Dion is not Chretien and Harper is not Mulroney.
Dion contents all kinds of things and he is wasting everyone's time. You are not paying attention to what he says, are you?
He is out and grasping for a straw. This whole coalition mission is his doing. He figured he and Duceppe speak the same lingo and they could come up with something.
Liberals have nobody right now, they have lost their competent people and they are bare bones. Chretiens, Martins, Manleys, Goodales are gone. Goodale is still quietly there.
Ignatieff and Rae are a joke.
And Trudeau...joke.

When Chretien took office in 1993, it was the beginning of the Information age, the Technology was exploding, stocks were rocketing up, everyone that had some money made money.
Everyone. The going was good, until about 2000 after the markets crashed because the stocks were so over valued. After that everything went down hill slowly.
I don't think you can credit Liberals with making that happen.

I think Harper is the better of the bunch right now and some of the guys around him really give him bad reputation.

They can't form a coalition to take down the government. That should be illegal.
If they want to forma a coalition before the elections to garner more votes as a united front thats ok.
But once the people have spoken, absolutely not.
Nor can governor general say I will give power to these guys, or those guys. This is a system where people vote for their MPs, not one individual. Are you with me so far?

We are in a perfect scenario right now.
Minority governments are perfect.
Conservatives can't pass any laws that defy logic and common sense without the public and the media being alerted.
I really want them to duke it out all in public without slipping us a mickey.

Comprende!

But in the end I do agree,
politics of today are less about who we want to be in power
and more about who we definitely don't want to be in power.
Sad.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:30:01 PM by adriaticum »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 07:39:40 AM »

Coalition is all but done. Looks like their well be a new Liberal leader sooner rather than later.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 09:14:30 AM »

Well you are free to speak your mind and thoughts; however I do not agree with them. You don't trust liberals, I don't trust Conservatives, as I consider them the republicans of the north. As for Harper, how do you trust someone who tried passing a bill to undermine our democratic political funding? 30 million is less than the government spends on tim hortons for their staff, it sure wasn't to save tax payers money. Not to mention he refused to pass a bill for equal rights for equal pay (women's rights) . If he will actually listen to the ideas of other parties instead of trying to pass his own personal agenda then it might work in the new year, but so far he has not shown any willingness to work with the opposition, every other party seems to get along or at least show that they are willing to work together whether for a short period or not, again you are entitled to your perspective just like I am wether I agree with it or wether you agree with mine, bottomline is we as a country need a strong minority government (we don't need a majority of ANY party), and one that is willing to listen to all party platforms and negotiate proposals that will benefit ALL Canadians and not just their own parties and its supporters. Why should a coalition be illegal, if the majority of voters say yes , there is nothing wrong with it, but if it is not supported by the public then obviously it should not be allowed, it should be a voter/poll decision. As for bad people , you realize the conservatives had to kick a few people from their party for bad conduct right? its not just bad liberals , thats every political party's problem. I could say some conservatives are a joke too but I wont go down that road since they don't lead the party and are not as important.And I love how its a bad move when the liberals try a coalition, but when Harper tried it was all OK? double standard? The part I do agree with is this : "But in the end I do agree, politics of today are less about who we want to be in power and more about who we definitely don't want to be in power.Sad." I hate to say it but I think the states has the right idea in their voting system, Canadians should (I think) vote the Parliament members in, then vote for the prime minister, and vote for each cabinet member instead of our system : eany, meany, miney, moe, your it ....congratulations you are now minister of education. Hopefully Harper learned his lesson and will be more willing in January to work with Parliament as I don't want another election , we already have a provincial one coming in the near future.