Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas  (Read 25232 times)

samw

Re: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:29 AM »

Maybe when retention for multiple fish is allowed such as 4 hatchery coho, limit the number of female retention to a smaller number like 1 or 2.  Just an idea.  It is not as extreme as the case for dungenous crabs where you can not retain any females.

hookR

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »

I had a great season but found it got quite busy on the local flows. Enough for me to not fish holidays and weekends.

Witnessed alot more illegal activity than previous year but did notice more CO presence. Only thing is when they arrive the offenders see them coming. The CO would be occupied questioning an angler and the culprits would quickly pack up and leave. I like the undercover CO idea. That way they can get close enough to the violators and hit them with tickets before they runaway into the bush.

Snaggers think they are getting wiser. When they foul hook a fish, they wouldn't even try to reel the fish in but walk down the run til there was nobody close enough to see. They think they are fooling everyone but Everyone knows what they are up to. Seen a lot more people doing it this season. If they are confronted they say the fish was wrapped in the line thats why it came in like that and the hook was in the mouth.

My second idea would be for DFO to start looking at doing an Auxilary officer program  the RCMP use.
I think this is a Great idea Geff. It would double the enforcement.

Im also for a leader length restriction and stiffer fines for violations.

Also I think stocked lakes should be reduced to 2 trout per day. I personally didnt fish it this fall but heard about how the lakes were raped as soon as the fish were put in.

Too much poaching in the summer at our piers. Seen way too many undersized crab wrapped in newspaper stuffed in jackets and taken away to vehicles.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »

Stock Surrey (152 street in Surrey) lake and open it to fishing.

Bust the poachers and regulation violaters and make them were signs identifing them as such.(or feed them farmed atlantic salmon)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »

There are a handful of lakes between Whistler and the Fraser Valley that are not stocked and I believe retention should be closed.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »

Make it a rule that if you are fishing on a river, nobody should come in after you fish within 10 feet of you.  Not sure how you can enforce it, but it would make certain spots more pleasant :)

I think the stocked lake trout should keep the existing quota.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Put webcams on places like KWB etc lol

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »

Yes or a "View from above" series...

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »

This would actually be hilarious.  I would watch this all day at work.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »

I would like to see the FWFS make a commitment to take over the administration of the nutrient enrichment program on lower mainland rivers ;D

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »

I know people have asked for more enforcement, but at what point enforcement is considered adequate? 50 officers in the Lower Mainland? 100? People always need to phone in and report violations, regardless whether you think officers will show up or not. This has been stressed again and again by enforcement at our meetings because anglers are their eyes and ears. With the support of this community, enforcement can be performed more efficiently and effectively.
Fair statement, Rod. I honestly don't care about the numbers, but the effectiveness.
How about getting DFO to release some stats:
How many officers in the field
How many officer-days in the field during salmon season (Sept-Nov, Aug-Nov in a Pink year or whenever Sockeye are open)
Number of calls during that period
Percentage of calls that result in an officer dispatched
Number of licence/barb checks
Number of tickets issued
Number of tickets paid in full

How sad would we be to learn these numbers?

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »

I think DFO should reconsider the 'no more fishing rule' after a person retains a steelhead.

With the high price of gas, and the danger of fishing alone in winter for steelhead, perhaps DFO should remove the 'no more fishing' clause if a person retains a steelhead. I think the rule makes people tend to fish alone for steelhead. At least for me. I don't want to drag someone along the whole day or vice versa when one of us have retained a hatchery steelhead.  What damage can it do to fish stock considering the prospect of hooking another fish is not that high? With the current steelhead run in Lower Mainland, it is not that a person can have multiple hook ups on steelhead in a day anyway. Why not allow the guy to continue to fish but on catch & release basis. This way, people tend to go fishing with a partner instead of going alone. If you fish alone and fall badly on those frosty sleepery rocks, with breeding wounds, broken bones or knocked unconscious, and you fish away from the popular areas where even cell phone signal is weak, without a fishing partner, no one will be able to help you. For safety sake and for conserving gas consumption by car pooling (good for the environment and fishermen's pocket), DFO should review if such rule is necessary.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

i would make more popular river classified waters and add a bigger tag price. upwards of 50/year. that will keep the crowds at bay??

sim

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »

Salmon fishing was fair this season for chum, good for steelheads (that means just a few fish but still) and quite poor for coho. I saw some cohos but did not catch many. And yes I enjoyed the fishing!

On my wish list, 3 things:
     - Promote the real fishing and stop the snagging: I had the opportunity to bring some friends from Europe this year to fish the local rivers. What they saw gave them a disastrous opinion on Canadians and Canada. They couldn't believe there was such a poor enforcement for so many fish in the river.

- I would really want the "Classified Water" stamps money to be allocated to the protection of these classified rivers and their wild fish.
The budget collected through these stamps is currently funding the stocking program for hatchery rainbows. And simply said, I don't get it.
I know some people coming from other countries who pay hundreds of dollars of CW stamps each year to fish these rivers. They also don't really understand why they pay for stocking programs.

- READ THE COHEN REPORT! Well, I mean... its summary (http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/FinalReport/), and spread the word on the fish farming and the necessity to reform DFO, increase enforcement, etc. And ask your politicians to make that 26 millions spending turning into something good for our children.

like catching, love releasing

roseph

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

I think if you're afraid of being alone out there you should probably stay home. 

I personally would like to see a limit on the number of wild fish you can catch and release in a day, perhaps 2 would be a good number.  Imagine:  less crowded rivers, the less pounded on fish and runs, less fish mortality, less selfish-won't-stop-fishing-because-it's-dangerous-out-here-by-myself attitudes like below?

I think DFO should reconsider the 'no more fishing rule' after a person retains a steelhead.

With the high price of gas, and the danger of fishing alone in winter for steelhead, perhaps DFO should remove the 'no more fishing' clause if a person retains a steelhead. I think the rule makes people tend to fish alone for steelhead. At least for me. I don't want to drag someone along the whole day or vice versa when one of us have retained a hatchery steelhead.  What damage can it do to fish stock considering the prospect of hooking another fish is not that high? With the current steelhead run in Lower Mainland, it is not that a person can have multiple hook ups on steelhead in a day anyway. Why not allow the guy to continue to fish but on catch & release basis. This way, people tend to go fishing with a partner instead of going alone. If you fish alone and fall badly on those frosty sleepery rocks, with breeding wounds, broken bones or knocked unconscious, and you fish away from the popular areas where even cell phone signal is weak, without a fishing partner, no one will be able to help you. For safety sake and for conserving gas consumption by car pooling (good for the environment and fishermen's pocket), DFO should review if such rule is necessary.

islanddude

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »

Sim. I live in Campbell River.The worst offenders when it comes to snagging come from Europe. They be the Italians. They are not liked at all by the local fisherman.They like to poach fish also. Another bad habit is there method of releasing a fish.Drag it up on the rocky beach,pick it up with thier jaw clamp,take lots of pictures and we all know what happens to that fish when it is released.Not saying that all Italian fisherman are like this.When you try to explain the proper release method they tell you they don't understand english.So this attitude toward our fish resourse is not just confined to us Canadians.