Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 166610 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »

you should have stuck it out Chris. the weather broke, rain stopped and the sun came out around noon. and then the bite turned on (at least where i was)
I had a meeting to go to with the City of Chilliwack anyway, I hope you got one or two when the bite came on.

I just checked the river after the meeting and it had colored up a bit more I thought from when I left this morning.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2009, 05:17:15 PM »

it was weird. the water coloured up mid-river but was still 3-4feet down lower  :-\ i was down low when te bite came on. 3 hooked in 20mins one being my first on the spey  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »

it was weird. the water colored up mid-river but was still 3-4feet down lower  :-\ i was down low when te bite came on. 3 hooked in 20mins one being my first on the spey  ;D
I guess the clay must settle out some as the water reaches the lower part of the Vedder.

Nice work on hooking 3 today, I fished everyday this week and did not hook one and the only chance I had I missed it three times. Hope the river improves or holds for tomorrow.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »

I didn't see any fish at all hooked or caught. Only one was weighed in at Fred's at around 3:00. Hit my hot spot that has produced the last 2 days and nothing.
As far as I was concerned visibility was terrible in the mid, only around 2 feet at most, was a little tricky to cross where I normally do as I had to "feel" my way across the bottom.
Hopefully a new push of fish come up overnight and tomorrow with the silty water and slightly higher conditions.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »

Water conditions are OK today but I have never seen so many anglers out there and every run had people fishing it. I could see 17 when viewing the river from Lickman and 25 from Peach. KWB had its share too.

Saw no fish or heard of any while talking to a few people and it certainly was a good day to leave the rod at home.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »

Well water was REALLY low!  :-[ and had some colour (2.5ft-3ft of vis) Mid river. Lots of stung, stale stacked fish. NEED RAIN NOW!!!!! i want the river to rise, get some colour, and turn on and bring in some fish.
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »

Water conditions were super today when I did a drive by this am. Not as many anglers around today as I saw yesterday in the area I checked, maybe it was for the lack of fish?

jeff

« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »

You are probaly right Chris there was a ton of guys out yesterday and I saw one fish laneded in the morning a wild one, and that was it.
Enjoying the water..........

beakaroo

« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »

the river is in mint condition  if only there was a little more of it and less fence posts i Finlay got rid of my spinning reel and bought a shimano level wind but i have to pack 250 meters of line cant seem to throe my line out any suggestions

devon42

« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »

good conditions, saw 2 fish caught today, must of been wild as they did not retain.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »

Great conditions... Vis was 3-4 feet in the lower, around 2-3 up at tamahi and really clear above Allison. Saw 1 killed, heard of 2 more. Water is prime but looks like rain will be coming to dirty her up again  :-\

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »

Just got back.
Super low, around 3-4 feet visibility in lower.
Apparentally (according to people at OTW this morning) a 22 pound Steely was caught in the lower this morning, can anyone confirm this?
Other than that I didnt hear of any fish caught, but then again I didnt have time to go to my hot spot  ;)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

i heard from another local Pete macpherson  landed a 22-23 wild, wasnt tubed.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »

awesome that there is fish around that size but very unfortunate it couldnt be tubed  :( that fish is going to breed some hogs for sure  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »

I once caught one of those monsters too, a wild buck with the size of a spring. Fought like a demon in the rapids and walked down seemingly endless stretch before it came ashore in a quiet pool. It was so heavy I could not pull it close to shore. It was eventually landed with the help of a older fisherman who told me he had never seen a steelie that huge. Too bad no camera in those days and had to let it go with the knowledge that it might be the largest steelie in my life but without a picture to capture it forever. Sigh, but truly thankful I got the chance to tangle with one of these magnificient steelies.That beast was at least a 3 to 4-salt fish. :)