Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oooops  (Read 13999 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
oooops
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

Wait for it - The farm posse will be guffawing soon.  Score one for Alex. ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/22/ns-fish-farming-debate.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:49:12 PM by Novabonker »
http://

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: oooops
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »

What's the big deal about this again?  ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »

I did see this story a few times and don't think it's much of a story.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »

What's the big deal about this again?  ::)

Safety and standards for "food"?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »

Safety and standards for food?  Really?

Although they might not be very nice to look at, sea lice do not pose a health risk to humans.  Even Ms Morton knows that, but many consumers may not, so she is taking advantage of the perception generated by this to fuel her own agenda.  For avid anglers this is not news to them.  You would be hard pressed to find an angler that has not caught a fish (i.e. salmon or trout) with external parasites on them.  Anglers frequent small lakes in the interior that have trout with external parasites on them - some not as noticeable as others.  Wild salmon caught in salt water have sea lice on them.  Do lice put their safety at risk?  Hardly.

Sobey's did what any reputable store would and should do in that circumstance - stand behind the products they sell in their stores.  No store wants to be indentified with controversy even if it is from someone as misinformed as Ms Morton so I do not fault the supermarket chain at all.  They know they are not the only supermarket chain around.  This is no different if the public found some problem with the beef, pork or chicken they purchased.  These processing issues found are certainly not exclusive to fish purchased in stores.  The only difference is that this was blown out of proportion on social media (a primary conduit for activists to get their message out) to scare as many people as possible and provide very little in the way of context.  Processing issues like this should be identified, but this was not done in the interests of public safety.

Lastly, the supermarket chain then went to the supplier to talk about this processing issue to see if quality control can be done much better which was the appropriate thing to do under the circumstances.  In the end, the public was never in danger and the store undertook the necessary action, but instead some fell victim to the tactics commonly used by people like Ms Morton (hook, line and sinker).  Those are the only casualties in this circumstance.

As for the safety of using SLICE it is best to be informed about it first:
http://www.cahs-bc.ca/SlicereportfinalMar07.pdf.pdf
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:11:44 PM by shuswapsteve »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »

Really Sidestep? If they're not bright enough to catch something like lice in the processing end , how can you count on them to cover the safety of the "food"? ::) Sure as sugar, if I see lice on a fish, I deal with them at the time I clean them. They musta been out of slice that day. Try again. ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »

Now you are making assumptions.  If you are going to say that then the same can be said for any product you buy in a supermarket - again it is not exclusive to fish.  How can you count on the safety of the other food you buy?  Why just pick on farmed salmon purchased from a store?  Are you going to stop buying steaks or ribs if you find something wrong with them?  If you had to return some beef, pork or chicken because something wasn't right with quality (of course that NEVER happens...lol) do you feel like your life is in peril if you decide to buy them again?  You might change where you purchase meat or produce, but I doubt you will give it up all together.

Of course you deal with the lice on the fish when you clean them, but then you said this was about "safety and standards".  Well, we know for a fact that lice won't harm you and things like this happen with products we buy in stores no matter how much QA/QC is done.  It does not make it right, but we do not live in a perfect world where everything we buy is going to be A1 quality all the time.  I once purchased pork ribs from Save-On Foods that smelled like sewage.  Did I feel the need to go on Facebook to denounce the company that processed the ribs or the rancher that raised the pigs and call for a full recall of all their stock sold at Save-On?  No, instead I took the ribs back to Save-On for a full refund and proceeded to purchase ribs again.  I realize that once in awhile I am unfortunately going to purchase something that is not what I hoped it would be, but I trust that the store that I purchased the product from to provide good customer service in this regard.  Sobey’s did what they were supposed to do under the circumstances and hopefully the supplier does a better job in presenting it's product.  If not, I am sure another supplier will fill in the void.  Merely assuming that some other problem likely exists because this was not caught is not really proof of another problem unless you can demonstrate it.  Again, if you are going to do that then you need to bring other food products into the equation.

Ms Morton is merely piggy backing her own agenda to get rid of open net pen salmon farming on this particular issue; however, this is clearly a processing issue which again is not exclusive to fish.  I guess you are feeling bad that you got duped by Ms Morton.  Hang in there…lol.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »

Now you are making assumptions. Nope- read what I posted. If you are going to say that then the same can be said for any product you buy in a supermarket - again it is not exclusive to fish.  How can you count on the safety of the other food you buy?  Why just pick on farmed salmon purchased from a store?  Are you going to stop buying steaks or ribs if you find something wrong with them?  If you had to return some beef, pork or chicken because something wasn't right with quality (of course that NEVER happens...lol) do you feel like your life is in peril if you decide to buy them again?  You might change where you purchase meat or produce, but I doubt you will give it up all together Read the story - we're talking about a specific problem, not pie in the sky theoretical issues that don't actually exist

Of course you deal with the lice on the fish when you clean them, but then you said this was about "safety and standards".  Well, we know for a fact that lice won't harm you and things like this happen with products we buy in stores no matter how much QA/QC is done. Or wasn't done in this case It does not make it right, but we do not live in a perfect world where everything we buy is going to be A1 quality all the time.  I once purchased pork ribs from Save-On Foods that smelled like sewage. Did I feel the need to go on Facebook to denounce the company that processed the ribs or the rancher that raised the pigs and call for a full recall of all their stock sold at Save-On?  No, instead I took the ribs back to Save-On for a full refund and proceeded to purchase ribs again.Ummm. you're doing it on a public forum right now I realize that once in awhile I am unfortunately going to purchase something that is not what I hoped it would be, but I trust that the store that I purchased the product from to provide good customer service in this regard. Good customer service usually consists of selling fresh and safe food products - How many hands did the pork or "fish" pass through without the problems being noticed?And that's A-OK> Really? Sobey’s did what they were supposed to do under the circumstances and hopefully the supplier does a better job in presenting it's product.  If not, I am sure another supplier will fill in the void.  Merely assuming that some other problem likely exists because this was not caught is not really proof of another problem unless you can demonstrate it.  Again, if you are going to do that then you need to bring other food products into the equation.Didn't need to. You already did with the Save On pigmeat story.

Ms Morton is merely piggy backing her own agenda to get rid of open net pen salmon farming on this particular issue; however, this is clearly a processing issue which again is not exclusive to fish.  I guess you are feeling bad that you got duped by Ms Morton.  Hang in there…lol. Sorry, I won't take cheap shots at you , but if you feel the need and it makes you feel better or superior - shoot away.I'm come to expect nothing less. Diverting from the issue won't change the facts

Hit the reset button and try again.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »

I dont know Nova...XL Foods comes to mind, ecoli you know, or do you.
SS give up now you'll never win, this gets my standard response.
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:21 AM »

You sound like some kind of metrosexual that won't eat an apple if it has a spot on it. EEEEWWWWWW!

A few lice on salmon in the grocery store is hardly an issue of food safety and can be easily dealt with in just a few seconds with absolutely no risk in just the same manner as you do with the wild fish you catch. Only a princess would consider it a problem.

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »

Of course you deal with the lice on the fish when you clean them, but then you said this was about "safety and standards".  Well, we know for a fact that lice won't harm you and things like this happen with products we buy in stores no matter how much QA/QC is done.  It does not make it right, but we do not live in a perfect world where everything we buy is going to be A1 quality all the time.  I once purchased pork ribs from Save-On Foods that smelled like sewage.  Did I feel the need to go on Facebook to denounce the company that processed the ribs or the rancher that raised the pigs and call for a full recall of all their stock sold at Save-On?  No, instead I took the ribs back to Save-On for a full refund and proceeded to purchase ribs again. 

Back in the day when I fished the Squamish for Coho, sea lice on my fish were a cause for celebration. Fresh from the chuck....

I also bought those ribs, but from Superstore.....disgusting. Took them back for a rib roast instead. And don't get me started about the "fresh" turkey I opened on Thanksgiving day........

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »

See? We're all agreeing that food handling practices are appalling.  ;D really good one Absolon - metrosexual? princess? personal insults? That's pretty sad and pathetic. If you don't agree, so be it, make your points, but gutlessly slinging stuff you wouldn't be man enough to say to my face while hiding behind a keyboard shows a good reflection of your character. Or lack thereof.Sad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:53:22 AM by Novabonker »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »

Don't be making any assumptions about what I would or wouldn't say to your face. If you're going to act like a princess and call the presence of a few lice appalling, expect to be treated like one.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

Don't be making any assumptions about what I would or wouldn't say to your face. If you're going to act like a princess and call the presence of a few lice appalling, expect to be treated like one.

Check your inbox. Talk to me in person and not behind a cloak, if you have the courage.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:07:04 PM by Novabonker »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

A bit testy today Bonker? ???  Question ... is it common to market fish with head and gills intact in the Maritimes?  I don't see that here in Chilliwack in the places I shop...
I'm with StillAqua, give me a fresh salmon with sea lice any day!