Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Dead After Eating Infected Farmed Salmon - Death Toll Set to Rise to 17!  (Read 10213 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer

Wait for it Chris. the farmtroopers will be along shortly with naysaying and excuses all over the place. ( They may even dig up "Annie" for this one) I hope the company responsible is held to account.
http://

Athezone

• Old Timer

That's certainly terrible news Chris. Nobody deserves to die from eating any type of food, whether it's farmed salmon or home grown beef and I feel sad for the families involved. Perhaps though, because of this tragedy this blight on our oceans and sea's will be annihilated and destroyed and leave our water's to natures natural course. One can only hope.

absolon

• Old Timer

By that logic, beef feedlots should be eliminated because of the E. coli outbreak at the XL packing plant.

Novabonker

• Old Timer

By that logic, beef feedlots should be eliminated because of the E. coli outbreak at the XL packing plant.

ACCOUNTABILITY
http://

Athezone

• Old Timer

Perhaps they should be Absolon, but at least the head of XL Foods has openly apologized and manned up. We shall see in the coming days whether the leaders of this fish farm show some class and some accountability for these deaths. Also as far as beef goes I don't see a lot of open air pollution, environmentally unsound use of chemicals or anything that disrupts the normal natural order of mother nature. Unlike fish farms.

People eat a lot more beef than farmed fish as well and they should take responsibility for how they prepare it, store it and eat it. It's not always the manufacturer's fault. Gotta' go, have a Great day Everyone !!!

absolon

• Old Timer

I'm uncertain what you expect the owners of some salmon farm to "man up" to. Just as XL is a processor of beef products and not a producer of cattle, Foppen is a processor of seafood products, not a producer of salmon. Just as the E.coli problem arose from XL's processing facility and not the feedlots that produced the cattle, Foppen grew and packed the salmonella that infected the fish in it's processing plant in Greece and it is they who are accountable, not the farms that grew the fish. After all, Salmonella is not a disease live fish are carriers for even if it has Salmon in the name.

This sort of error of interpretation being promoted by Staniford and apparently Chris is avoidable if one uses even a modicum of critical thinking and common sense when looking at the information being offered as damning evidence. I can understand why Staniford is doing it and expect this kind of abuse of the facts because it's his stock in trade and presumably the "job he gets done". Given the circumstances, I'm not sure why Chris thought this was important enough to post.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:39:41 PM by absolon »

Dave

• Old Timer

I think you've sliced the fins off this one absolon. Perhaps your most surgical post :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I think you've sliced the fins off this one absolon. Perhaps your most surgical post :)
Important for some and not so much for the Abby it appears. :( :o

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

I'm uncertain what you expect the owners of some salmon farm to "man up" to. Just as XL is a processor of beef products and not a producer of cattle, Foppen is a processor of seafood products, not a producer of salmon. Just as the E.coli problem arose from XL's processing facility and not the feedlots that produced the cattle, Foppen grew and packed the salmonella that infected the fish in it's processing plant in Greece and it is they who are accountable, not the farms that grew the fish. After all, Salmonella is not a disease live fish are carriers for even if it has Salmon in the name.

This sort of error of interpretation being promoted by Staniford and apparently Chris is avoidable if one uses even a modicum of critical thinking and common sense when looking at the information being offered as damning evidence. I can understand why Staniford is doing it and expect this kind of abuse of the facts because it's his stock in trade and presumably the "job he gets done". Given the circumstances, I'm not sure why Chris thought this was important enough to post.

well put Absolon.

Farming salmon will be a necessity in the foreseeable future ... the idea of it's viability is not what needs to be addressed as much the way it's logistics are constructed and managed.  i don't see salmon farming for it's monetary value, i see it as a necessity to alleviate the pressures on our ever diminishing resources and also create means (not only for salmon, but other species) to help feed the populace.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

well put Absolon.

Farming salmon will be a necessity in the foreseeable future ... the idea of it's viability is not what needs to be addressed as much the way it's logistics are constructed and managed.  i don't see salmon farming for it's monetary value, i see it as a necessity to alleviate the pressures on our ever diminishing resources and also create means (not only for salmon, but other species) to help feed the populace.
If we did a better job of looking after our wild stocks there would be no need to have these damaging farms. Farms of course is another destructive element that wild fish have to deal with.

As I have said so many times but Abby and the others always overlook all the problems farms have caused in other countries that have had farms a lot longer than us, this is a known fact they have destroyed salmon and trout stocks.

From a report from Scotland this year.
"Salmon aquaculture has now been with us in Scotland for more than four decades, since the first fish were raised in cages in Loch Ailort by the first incarnation of Marine Harvest. During the first twenty years or so of its existence, there was a fairly substantial failure to see the problems which were likely to arise. The result is that we're now living with the severe impacts on Scotland's biodiversity which have built up cumulatively, while successive governments and regulators paid too little attention. In many Highland rivers, populations of native salmon and sea trout are now so depleted as to be almost totally lost."

SAD
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:45:57 PM by chris gadsden »

absolon

• Old Timer

Important for some and not so much for the Abby it appears. :( :o

Why is it important to you Chris? It's a story about a seafood processing plant in Greece failing to follow safe procedure, nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with salmon aquaculture even if the headline says two people died after eating infected farm salmon. I'm astounded that a man of your wisdom and experience isn't able to see that.

absolon

• Old Timer

Thanks for that Dave but I can't take credit for simply stating the glaringly obvious. I guess the headline putting two deaths into the same sentence as farmed fish was simply too much for Staniford to resist even if the article was actually about a problem at a fish processor. Perhaps he was counting on his friends to be fairly non-critical and pass it on without giving it any thought.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:05:16 PM by absolon »

absolon

• Old Timer

well put Absolon.

At last, a rational voice in the wilderness................. ;)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

I am definitely not aware of Salmonella being a disease live fish are carriers for.  If it is something I am missing then please point me in the right direction, Chris.  In my opinion, it is very plausible that this came about from contamination in the processing plant where the fish (being smoked) came in contact with other foods in the facility which contained Salmonella.  I cannot see how it originated from the fish farm itself unless someone can demonstrate to me otherwise.  It does not make the incident excusable because when we purchase our food whether it is beef, pork, chicken or fish we do not want something like E.coli or Salmonella.  I am not surprised by Don’s actions with this one as it is tailor made for maximum “shock and awe”…..and that’s about it.  

Yes, another great contribution to wild salmon from Don Staniford...lol.  Chris, people like you and Dave have done a hellava lot more for wild salmon and trout than Don has ever done.  Guys in local fish and game clubs around the province have done more for wild fish than Don Staniford.  If anything, Don should be looking up to guys like you.

In case someone thinks Salmonella was named after the fish with the similar name:

Salmonella is named after Daniel Elmer Salmon, the first veterinary student to graduate with a DVM degree in the US, from Cornell University in 1876.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/Salmonella.htm