Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personal Trainers – please suggest a steelhead workout!  (Read 3833 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

Personal Trainers – please suggest a steelhead workout!
« on: January 15, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

My first season fishing for steelhead, looking for a methodological way of maximizing the little free time I have to spend on the river.

Curious how the veterans cover the water with respect to switching presentations, etc. Do you guys start and the top of a run, try a certain presentation x number of times, switch out with a snap swivel and try again, go through your arsenal and then move down? Or do you tend to stick with a trusted lure, go through the whole section and then start at the top with another one?

Also, my birthday is coming up at the end of February and I’m thinking of treating myself to a walk and wade guided session on the C/V. Any recommendations? Has anybody tried one? Did it help you any?

Hoping to learn lots out there this year.

Drewhill

Re: Personal Trainers – please suggest a steelhead workout!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »

Lang's Fishing Adventures are beasts when it comes to steelhead. One of their guides, Matt is always getting into fish.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:51 PM »

I second Matt, had a great experience fishing with him for sturgeon this summer. Full of smiles and made my day enjoyable.
I know Bent Rod's started booking their walk and wades this week too so you can give them a call as well.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »

I'll third Matt with Langs. He's a great steelhead angler.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »

Or do you tend to stick with a trusted lure, go through the whole section and then start at the top with another one?

Also, my birthday is coming up at the end of February and I’m thinking of treating myself to a walk and wade guided session on the C/V. Any recommendations?
Fish the run what u have confidence in and move on to the next run. Don't waste your money on a walk and wade trip on such a crowded river such as the Vedder unless the the raft guys I see on the river this yr do guide trips. A friend of mine paid a steep price on a walk and wade trip to catch nothing with a well known guide on the Vedd. If that's not a option and u can fish on weekdays I can share some of my +30 yrs fishing Steel on the Vedd for free.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »

You will probably learn more in a day of fishing with a guide than you already know.
It will definitely shorten the learning curve a lot.
Go for it I say.
I don't know of the other guides but do know Rod (Bent Rods) a little and would highly recommend him for a day of learning.

islanddude

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »

Go to You Tube and watch some videos on how to rig up a float system, casting lures, using jigs, curing roe, how to tie various knots eg. knot for holding wool and roe. Learn about the various types of rods and reels. Watch some fishing shows on guys fishing the Vedder Chilliwack and you will get the idea of what kind of water to fish. There is an awesome amount of knowledge on You Tube that is free.
 Go to the river and fish the water. Fish "Every" piece of water you may think holds a fish. Pay attention to how other guys are fishing and if you see a fish caught near you look at the person's set up and admire the fish and maybe he will give you a few pointers.
 Go fishing in Mid Feb. to end of March when the fish are more aggressive and the pressure may be lighter. The weather will be more user friendly.
 I will send you my bill. Just joking.

Tenz85

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

You will probably learn more in a day of fishing with a guide than you already know.
It will definitely shorten the learning curve a lot.
Go for it I say.
I don't know of the other guides but do know Rod (Bent Rods) a little and would highly recommend him for a day of learning.
X2

Took me about 20 trips the first year to land one. That was a lot of gas and time. I do enjoy the outdoors but would have made a lot more use of my time. If you have the money and want to learn from a pro, go for it.

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »

If you have the money and want to learn from a pro, go for it.

X3

Try to find a buddy to split the cost with you. I did that, and it was a fun trip my first season.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:15:20 PM by Animal Chin »

Howlongsyourleader

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »

Took me 28 days of fishing before landing my first grey ghost. As others have said, fish all the water you think a fish might hold in and move. In my experience they bite right away or not at all. I don't catch em on the 50th cast.  Fish the shallow stuff close to you first then work out to the deeper stuff. Most of my fish this year have been within one/two rod lengths from shore. Consider where the fish are moving through, and where are they might pull over and hold.
Have you seen my float?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »

I did a walk and wade last year, I found it very helpful. As well, I learned of several geographic locations that I would never find just poking about. Got pointers on how to read the water for where the fish might be etc, and got a taste of what to do correctly instead of fumbling about and trying to learn by observing others. Split the cost with a pal, 120$.