Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tsawwassen fishing  (Read 11729 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
Tsawwassen fishing
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »

How far out from the boat launch on the ferry spit do you have to travel to get into fish? I have a 12 foot inflatable with 10 horse and small downriggers . Is this setup suitable for the area or should I stick to more sheltered spots ?
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Tsawwassen fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »

Not sure what type of inflatable it is but we used to go out there often in a 14' Lund. We used to troll out in front of the coal dock there at Delta port. With a 10 horse it's maybe 10-15 minute run or so. You should be fine as long as you launch on the spit. its a game of tides at that launch but with a 12' you can just walk the boat out if you're up to it at low tides.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »

Gets pretty deep quick out past the rocks...better to run past ferry lanes and drop lines after that and troll towards coal docks. Will be pink madness out there in a month. Drops off 100- 200 ft pretty quick then 200-500 as troll out.

kanuckle head

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »

That set up should be OK but ya have to monitor the winds, south easterlies are you enemy
Then ya have to gauge your time and not recover the boat @ low-low tide by night fall

Back in the day, when it was tolerated & not restricted. We would wait for the ferry's to depart the port & have about 10 min doing doughnuts in the loading bays before another ferry would dock, in between getty's. If tides were correct each rotation trolled produced a Hoe
I believe the prop of the ferry's turn up the bait into a feeding frenzy 

I think of it now and see why it is restricted.............Dangerous but productive 

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »

Also check the regs. for the area, the banana is sometimes closed for the early chinook run.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »

Gets pretty deep quick out past the rocks...better to run past ferry lanes and drop lines after that and troll towards coal docks. Will be pink madness out there in a month. Drops off 100- 200 ft pretty quick then 200-500 as troll out.

Less than a month, they're already surrounding the gulf islands, early this year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »

Less than a month, they're already surrounding the gulf islands, early this year.
It all depends - how long they stay there, where they are going, what route they take to get there. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »

It all depends - how long they stay there, where they are going, what route they take to get there.

Thanks Captain obvious.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »

sure thing Mr "Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills!" . One (dubious) report  on another website and you declare the mother lode - roflmao!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »

sure thing Mr "Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills!" . One (dubious) report  on another website and you declare the mother lode - roflmao!

What!? Lol. :)  I know Jeremie well, and that's not dubious at all. Also not to mention there's nothing in my post about gold in them that hills. Just said they're early to the gulf islands this year. Sheesh Ralph.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:58:54 AM by Flytech »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »

But there is!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »

I think you 2 need counselling.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »

I think you 2 need counselling.

I'm sure I do, for a variety of reasons.  :o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »

I know Jeremie well, ...

that's not much of an endorsement. Proofs in the pudding so I'll wait and see when the fish show up off Tsawwassen. Fraser fish usually time in the last half of August into September. Fish from Squamish north are 4 to 6 weeks earlier.

Thanks Noah, we do need counseling.

Troutman

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »

I love how the fishing commmunity is always so kind to each other......